New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #137 of 177 Hotels in Atlanta
Birmingham, Alabama
“Staff is confused.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

The rooms are good, but the staff doesn't know what is going on. My key didn't work to get into the concierge lounge and the front desk told me the door is locked except for a couple hours each day. I pointed out that the sign outside the concierge lounge indicated it was open all day, but the front desk said that was wrong. Actually, they were wrong-- it is open all day. My key didn't work during the designated two hours, either. I was told that as a elite guest my Internet would be free-- I got charged. Just took a lot of checking and rechecking to get things right during the stay.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown. I appreciate the positive & high ratings you have given us on our location, rooms and hotel cleanliness. I apologize for the communication problems you had with my Front Office team, you have my assurance that I will personally follow up on your concerns. We will focus with training to correct those issues.

Thanks again for taking the time to write about your stay and I hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Mark Gallagher
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

This is NOT a review of the nearby Marriott Marquis. This is the Marriott Downtown Atlanta. This is a much smaller 300 odd room hotel and it is by no means a four star hotel. The location is fine -- just behind the Westin and access to MARTA via the Peachtree Center station is very good. The hotel is clean enough but obviously a little worn. Upon arrival there are about four planters at the entrance - all of them devoid of any plants. The exercise center was well equipped and maintained and was clean. The room was also clean and well-equipped but the housekeeping left a little to be desired. Nothing big -- the TV was unplugged for some reason and the plug-in for the coffeemaker needed to have a breaker reset. A few minutes of needless annoyance. The mattress had a loose button under the sheet that almost drove me nuts. WIFI was an additional expense, always annoying. The worst, however, was the lack of coffee in the public spaces -- at all. I went to the lobby at 6:45 am looking for coffee and the front desk suggested I go across the street to the second floor of the Westin. Huh? I'm not sure a hotel gets even a 3-star if coffee is not available at all. Super 8 beats this. Overall, this location is OK, but there are many better choices in Downtown.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. I appreciate the high ratings for Cleanliness & Location. I want to apologize for the deficiencies you found while at the hotel, and you can be assured I am following up with my team to avoid such feedback in the future. All the items you listed in your guest room could have been easily avoided. I’m sorry you thought our front drive lacked appeal; we are in the process of starting a renovation of the pool/front drive, which includes extensive landscaping in both areas. We do open our restaurant at 6:30 am and have a complimentary coffee station there, but due to your feedback I’m moving this to the lobby, so we don’t have this issue arise again.
Once again I do apologize that your experience was not completely positive, your satisfaction is very important to me. When your plans bring you back to Atlanta, please reach out to me personally and I will do everything possible to ensure your stay is memorable.

Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Well..... I made a reservation for this hotel for my husbands birthday 3 months in advance, and none of my requests were met, we got there after 9pm on Friday night March 30th, they still decided to charge us $28 to park for 3 hours, even though I said we are coming in from Columbia, SC and my husband is military, can we please be charged a half of a day! So we check in, and I tell the lady we requested too have a mini fridge 2 days prior, she informed me they were all out, and on a first come first serve availability, I then told her I had callled the Marriott and personally requested the fridge 2 days prior becuase we were bringing alot of food and drinks! I was not told that it was a first come first serve basis when I called !Another let down...Then after we check in and go up to our room, we have no extra pillows, no extra towels and no top floor as I requested, and had a awful view! None of my requests were made! So we had to go buy a cooler to store all of our stuff for the weekend, not cool! Then when we decided to go to bed, well the cop downstairs that stood with the Valet parking blew his whistle for the first 3 hours off and on, So that kept us up!
The Westin and Hampton Inn are right accross the street, we will be staying there next time! It is not worth the money to stay at a hotel that does not do a thing to cater to you or your requests! What was the point????

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am delighted that I had an opportunity to speak to you in person this week to learn about the situation firsthand, to apologize, and come up with a resolution that was acceptable to you. I hope now that you have my contact information that you will indeed come back to Atlanta, and give us a chance to show you what service levels we are truly capable off.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

If you're looking for a good quality hotel in a walking distance to it all location then I recommend this hotel. The front door people were extremely nice and friendly with everyone and willing to help. We actually walked to the aquarium and the coke a cola factory from the hotel. Also Olympic park is right around the corner. So very good location and good quality.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank khouse11
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thanks for the kind words and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. Our Valet & Bell staff are great and I appreciate you recognizing them, I will be passing your comments along. Hope to see you back in the near future.

Hobe Sound FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

It has been a long time since I have stayed in a chain hotel where the every person on the staff that I came in contact with was friendly, eager to help, efficient and welcoming. The manager of this property deserves kudos! The hotel was very clean, extremely conveniently located to AmericasMart and other downtown properties and comfortable. Thank you for a great stay. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Thanks for the great feedback regarding the hotel and our wonderful employees. We are indeed very fortunate to have such great people working at the hotel to serve the needs of our guests each day. We enjoy receiving comments such as yours and I will ensure to share your comments with the team.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.