Canifor Hotel
US$ 241
US$ 192
Priceline
  • Beachfront
Dolmen Hotel Malta(St. Paul's Bay)
US$ 180
US$ 157
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 185/night.

TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
1,949 results
All reviewssoupsbus stationbudget hotelbad reviewstowels changed dailyplenty of choicefresh towelssea front
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We stayed in this hotel the last week in March. We were a bit apprehensive after reading a lot of the other reviews We need not have worried as we had a very smooth check in and advised immediately that dinner was being served and we would be best just to leave luggage in our room and unpack later. Food was basic but good choice best to go at the start as the food is all carvery and towards the end food is not as hot. Our room was cleaned daily and fresh towels every day Pool area had plenty of sun loungers and a clean pool . The Hotel has a lot of long term holiday residents averaging at 5 weeks stay and most are elderly 60+ you can tell them as they all bring there own china mugs to breakfast for there mug of tea or coffee
Our hotel room had a double bed bedside cabinets , wardrobe with hangers , T V and mini bar fridge and a ,safe. Small table and two chairs.You pay extra for the key to the fridge and key for safe if you want a remote control for the T.V. We also had a balcony with a table and two chairs.
The hotel is very centrally located and within walking distance to all the areas of intrest
The local bus station. stop for open top tourist bus , St Pauls bay Beach
This hotel does not deserve all the negative reviews that some people have left and some reviews are very outdated.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank globetrecker_8
Reviewed 27 April 2011

we were told by the evening receptionist sorry but the computer had broken so he had over booked.Even though we got booked 2 months before. We had to wait to be moved all though the other hotel was better than the Canifor.

4  Thank helenandmark_51
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We’ve just arrived back from a week’s stay at the Canifor Hotel. We did read the reviews on this site before booking but decided what the heck and proceeded with the booking.

The main thing to bear in mind with this hotel is its core business is those aged over 60. Bear that in mind!

The hotel is in one of the best locations – great for local bars, restaurants, shops and most importantly, the bus terminus. You can get a bus to most locations from just around the corner. Whilst we were there, the bus became full before it had even set off and refused to pick up any more passengers along the route (so those in the better, more expensive hotels were not impressed).

The rooms – basic, ok, does the job. They were cleaned everyday plus we had clean towels. The bed was comfortable, but creaky. The walls are a bit thin so you do get a bit of noise from the neighbours, but nothing to worry about. A few guests seemed to struggle to close a door and thought they had to repeatedly slam them to lock (you need to use the key!)

Food – bearing in mind the core business customer, then the food is simple & bland – very much like school dinners. Some days it was ok, but a few nights the food was really good. Breakfast (cooked) was ok, it was cooked on mass. If you want a breakfast cooked to order, there are plenty of bars / cafes around the corner.

Staff – some reviewers have mentioned that the staff are ignorant. Sorry, but you get as good as you give. We witnessed a fair few of the elderly guests grunting at the staff. Multiply that by a fair few customers over the course of the week, you will soon see why the staff can be off. However, remember your manners, smile, say hello and they will treat you back with the same respect. It’s not difficult. My misses ended up with extra bacon by being nice!

The pool – nothing special, a tad small, but I always find it bizarre that people want to sit around a pool all week. The sea is a short walk way and some cracking beaches are only a short bus ride away (the sea is not tidal in Malta so you can spend all day on the beach).

Now the important bit – firstly, the hotel is classed as a 4 star, but it’s a 3 with an extra star because it’s Malta. They do odd things like that in Malta. Secondly the price. We paid £330 each for 1 week’s half board, with flights and transfers. Break that down and you are looking at:

Flights - £150 (cheapest I can find)

Transfers £25 (comparable coach, not a clapped out Transit minibus)

Leaves around £155 for 7 nights accommodation & food = £22 per night. Not that bad really is it?

I regular stay in a Premier Inn for work and pay around 4 times that price, trust me, a lot of them are to a similar standard to the Canifor!

Would I recommend the Canifor? If you want a decent bed, a decent shower and good base to see the island, then YES. For a slap up meal, amazing pool, luxury rooms, then NO!

3  Thank WallisKirkland
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I'm going to be brutally honest, this is not the best hotel I have stayed in. BUT the location is brilliant, the staff are fantastic, the beds are good and the towels are changed every day. All in all it was great. However, and this is a vry big however, the food is TERRIBLE, as in inedible for me. The first day we were in the dining room there was a cocroach but we persereved and ate breakfast the next day (attempted to). It was not great as it lacked fresh fruit (or fruit of any kind) and yoghurt. So, stay here for the price, location, staff, pool deck and service but aim to eat out all the time. To be fair to Qwara there are some excellent local restaurants close by, we could eat a two course meal with wine for 30 euros easily and two of the best restaurants we found were right round the corner from the hotel.

1  Thank suzimaskell
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Hi All,

It was my second holiday to malta previously stayed in the other property. When I looked at the hotel reviews I was a bit worried about the hotel when I have been there I realised that it was nothing like that coz u'l get that what you paid for I would say that I am happy with the holiday. I was looking for a hotel which should be closer to the beach & local things & that's what I found . We really enjoyed it

Room Tip: Few minutes away from the attractive Qawra promend
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple