Free cancellation until 24/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$ 163
US$ 157
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 179/night.

US$ 120
US$ 443
US$ 240
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 362/night.

US$ 234
HotelsClick
TripAdvisor
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbuilding workmanager simonsea viewthe busthe general managerbuilding sitesea frontgood sizecross trainerquiet areahotel managerstayed on a half board basisyogurtsmall hotelcold meatsindoor poolwithin easy walking distance
Reviewed 19 October 2017

So here we go - probably the hardest Tripadvisor review I've had to write so far.

I've got to be subjective - I've got to be honest but having spent the last ten days in a hotel we loved with staff we loved, it is hard to have to write anything negative but here goes....

We arrived in Malta waiting for our private transfer which didn't turn up - nothing to do with the Hotel I may add. Over an hour late, we still turned up early to the Hotel - well in advance of the check in time but were told the rooms were ready and we could go straight up - this was also the first time we met Simon.

Now I'd read through all the previous reviews and there was one that stood out with a poor review likening the Hotel to Fawlty Towers. Having read the response from Simon, it struck me that this was a manager who cared and his result was hilarious. This poor review (and reply) swung it for me - I had to go and visit. Simon didn't disappoint either - he's a lovely bloke with a great sense of humour who can't do enough for his customers.

We were informed we had rooms 515 and 516 - my Parents had been upgraded free of charge to a Sea View room which was a bonus.

As we walked up to the rooms, my heart sank slightly. The carpet outside the rooms was a bit messy. Opening the doors to the rooms, we were greeted by two beautiful (if a little dated looking) rooms which were nice and clean, no bad smells, great view, beds were nice and firm (just as we like them). The furniture was a little rough around the edges in places but for what we'd paid, we felt we got far more than we expected.

The bathroom was also nice and clean with only a rather old looking shower curtain spoiling things. It was a little run down in places but when compared to most other places in Malta we visited it was well above average. Water pressure was a bit low (we were almost on the top floor) but we didn't have any major problems showering.

It's all about perspective here - we paid a good price for a good hotel and the more we visited different places in Malta, the more we appreciated our Hotel.

On leaving the room we met a nice old chap with a hoover cleaning the carpets ! I can only assume that as we checked in early, they hadn't had the chance to do the hallway after the cleaners had sorted the rooms - phew !

Back down to reception - a lovely smile and nod from Roslyn. We decided to go exploring.

Now a downside - the area around the Hotel is being redeveloped a lot and some of the pavements are a H&S nightmare. There is also a fair bit of cat poo in certain areas (near the abandoned Qawra Inn is especially bad). The kerbs are also very high as my wife found out after 5 minutes of walking - she tripped in a hole in the pavement, fell off the kerb and landed on her face in the road - locals helped immediately and apart from a bruised / grazed elbow and some scratches to her phone / camera there was no lasting damage. Again - not the Hotel's fault in any way but please please be very wary and watch where you are walking.

The Hotel is perfectly located to be within a short walk of just about anywhere you need to get in Qawra - far back enough from the main streets to be fairly quiet (apart from the building work) but we managed 8 minutes to the main Bus Station once we worked out the easiest route. There are plenty of places to eat / shop / drink and we were only accosted by a few timeshare sellers in the time we were there. We always felt safe there - never any issues. If you decide to catch a bus, be prepared for mayhem when it turns up - the queueing is very "non British". Try and get a bus from the station at each end or you'll end up standing for the journey or even missing the bus as it drives past your stop already full.

Back to the Hotel ... another lovely grin from Roslyn and we prepared for dinner.

Breakfast and Dinner are fairly informal. Breakfast is pretty repetitive but nicely predictable with alternate bacon / something like bacon, eggs (poached / scrambled / fried on alternate days), sausages (normal / hot dog style), baked beans, sweet croissants, fried potatoes some days, rolls, toast / jam / marmalade, salad bar with cheese / meats, Nutella type spread, cereals, yoghurts and some fantastic coffee / tea / chocolate machines. There was always fresh fruit and fruit salad.

Dinner appeared to be on a weekly rotation with some slight variances. Generally meat and two veg. Good wholesome, non pretentious food. Quality varied between above average to very good. The two chefs we met and chatted to were great. My wife is a very fussy eater and on a couple of occasions would have struggled if they hadn't made her something alternative on request. No fuss and she enjoyed the food there.

From memory, we had steamed cod, rabbit (Maltese style), Maltese sausages in a tomato sauce, swordfish, tuna, lamb, lamb curry, chicken cordon bleu (remember those ?!), chicken legs in sauce, beef olive, chicken in mushroom sauce, beef stroganoff, pork chops, beef in pepper sauce, lamb in mint sauce, seafood rice, penne pasta with basil (the only Basil we saw in the hotel ;) ), breaded fish, spaghetti with octopus, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots, cauliflower, aubergine, broccoli (all vegetables on rotation - not all on the same evening) and probably much more. There was a salad bar every night and a different soup of the day each day. Unless you were a really fussy eater, you'd struggle to go hungry. There were also deserts each night - ice cream was on request but we had apple tart, pear tart, some kind of spiced chocolate pudding, fresh fruit every night, Cheese and biscuits were also provided although the choice was a little limited.

Drinks were reasonable - a bottle of wine was around 8-10 euro (charged to the room) and was quite pleasant. Beer was around 3.5 euro a pint and coffee and cocktails were also available from the bar.

There were some complaints on previous reviews about the staff waiting and staring like vultures while the diners ate. I can confirm that they are very attentive and will remove your plate as soon as you've finished but I suspect this is because the tables are fairly small and get cluttered easily. I never felt hurried or pressured by any of the staff - James and Anna were great and the other waiting staff were always up for a laugh and polite.

Back to the Hotel room. I was lying there using the internet on my phone (wifi adequate to good in most of the Hotel but some black spots in areas) when all of a sudden I heard a sound I could only liken to Darth Vader having a rather vigorous intimate encounter. After a quick hunt around, it turned out to be the fridge in the room wheezing and groaning. Further inspection showed it turned up to maximum. Turning it down to minimum calmed it down to a "Darth Vader having his back rubbed" level but still was a bit noisy - not enough to complain about really and I got used to it after a couple of days.

Air conditioning in the room worked perfectly - no issues and nice and quiet. There was building work going on around the area but as other have said - not overly intrusive and started at around 7am. You'll be disturbed (in more ways than one) by the bad Karaoke in the hotel opposite although we understand it is being pulled down soon.

If you look closely around the building you'll see that a fair bit of money has been spent improving the fabric of the Hotel - not immediately obvious but it is easy to get caught up with picking issues with the furniture and other fairly insignificant items when other more hidden more important parts have had money spent on them (taps / air conditioning / double glazing etc).

So on to the staff - they really make this hotel more special. Simon and Roslyn are brilliant and friendly. We saw Simon go beyond the call of duty on more than one occasion with the guests and all the staff rallied round to help a disabled guest with her meals and other things. When our transfer back to the hotel didn't turn up (again) they were both on the phone to the transfer company pushing them to get things sorted. Sarah the cleaner was hilarious and we had some good banter with her - all the rooms were cleaned every day, beds were made and we saw them deep cleaning the rooms after the guests had left. Extra pillows / towels etc were provided as soon as they were asked for. The rooms have a reasonable sized safe for 2 euros a day as well.

All in, not perfect, the hotel is a little rough around the edges in places but safe. It seems to be run by people who are proud of it and care about both the hotel and their customers and we were quite sad to leave.

We picked this hotel after considering many others, we read hundreds of reviews from various hotels, this hotel / package was what I'd class as a mid range price - we paid around £520 each for the hotel (half board, 10 nights), flights (Ryanair !), transfers (eventually) and spent another 100 euros or so between the 4 of us on drinks and local taxes etc. This is probably the first holiday I've had where I haven't felt ripped off for whatever reason.

For what we paid and what we got we're all more than happy. If you visit this hotel with realistic expectations (especially for Malta) then I'd hope you'll be as happy as we were. It certainly was a great introduction to Malta for our first visit.

If I could turn back the clock to when we were booking, would I choose a different hotel ? Not a chance. Apart from some trivial negative points which didn't impact the enjoyment of our holiday we loved the place. I'd happily recommend this hotel to any friends or family. I gave it 5 stars as Tripadvisor doesn't allow 4.5 stars.

We travelled early October (9th - 18th ish) and the weather was great - 24-27 degrees and lovely and sunny although it had rained for most of the week before. Mosquitos were rare but we saw a few. We all managed a couple of bites but nothing major.

A big thanks to Simon, Roslyn, James, Anna, Sarah and all the others for making our stay so special and enjoyable.

P.s. if you've got this far down the review, congratulations. Sorry to go on a bit but I've tried to answer as many of the issues / questions / comments I've seen in previous reviews and questions.

Room Tip: Rooms 515 and 516 were lovely - at the top corner of the hotel and fairly quiet.
8  Thank Dominic S
Reviewed 18 October 2017

We enjoyed this hotel for 2 nights while visiting the main island of Malta. It is not as central as we thought, and the traffic through central Malta is quite busy, after coming from Gozo. The saving grace is that the restaurant has a special where we got a bottle of wine with our buffet dinner for 15 euros each. The room is fine, but the wifi is a bit weak at times. Front desk service was efficient and fine.

1  Thank tbwong
Reviewed 18 October 2017

We have just returned from our 4th visit to Il Palazzin in Malta where, once again we received a very warm and friendly welcome from Simon and all his superb staff.
As usual the Palazzin catered for all our needs and nothing was too much trouble.

I have reviewed the Palazzin on Trip advisor before, so anyone looking for more detailed information simply has to read my reviews from other years to get an honest and detailed description of the hotel, resort and local area.

All i need to say on here this time is that it is the right hotel for me and I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed our stay in this hotel. I am giving it 4 stars because the Staff were excellent and eager to help. The hotel is ok, but not above average. It is clean, and tidy, and you can end up with a nice view of the sea if you get the right room. The alcohol in the bar is a bit expensive compared with the bars on the seafront, and in Bugibba which is only 5 minutes walk away. It's a buffet breakfast and dinner with a good choice of different meals to choose from. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

After reading reviews on Palazzin I thought this would be a great pick as a solo traveller but unfortunately ended up being a little disappointing. As a solo traveller I was given a single room on the top of the hotel which opened up to a rooftop terrace which has a lovely view over the sea which seems great initially however this terrace is open to the rest of the hotel from another access point meaning that you have no private balcony and you have people walking past your room and staring in as they explore the rooftop. There is no balcony furniture outside the room so you need to walk to the other side of the terrace to access this which may have other hotel guests sitting there. Also there is no lighting on the terrace which means that you can't sit out in the evening.
The other negative about the rooftop is that there is a service yard/ area next to the room with a big extractor fan which starts up around 6:30 every morning for the breakfast service. Unless you are naturally an early rider be prepared to be woken up by this.
As for the room itself it's not very big but to be fair this wasn't too much an issue for me. The bathroom however is tiny with very little space between the toilet, sink and shower unit. Total size I'd probably say this was about 1m in with by 2.5 length. I could manoeuvre this ok as I'm quite small but would not suit someone much taller or bigger in build.
Other things to point out about the room just in case you've been looking at the website for Palazzin. They state the following amenities for a single room - flatscreen TV (this was not the case, small old style TV present), minibar (no minibar), safe (no safe in the room), balcony with furniture (mentioned about the terrace above), alarm clock and radio (these were not there). This said though in terms of the room itself it did mostly serve the purpose of my trip as I did not spend much time there and as a positive the maid team kept the room very clean.
In terms of the more positive aspects of the hotel the breakfast which is buffet style was pretty decent and the restaurant staff whilst I did not have a great deal of interaction with them myself appeared very friendly and you could see that they were working very hard. The hotel is also in an ideal location, 2 streets away from the promenade so generally pretty quiet at night (no drunk people going past shouting, singing etc.) but also close enough to the promenade that if you want to pop out for a walk, drink, dinner, go to the shop you can do this really easily and there is also a bus stop very close by if you want easy access to get around Malta.
In terms of the pool at the hotel it wasn't massive but even though I didn't stay in during the day to use it in my observation it appeared clean. Unfortunately I also can't tell you how much sun you get around the pool throughout the day but a little bit of sun does appear in part of the pool area first thing in the morning.
All in all don't go to Palazzin expecting a 4 star hotel. At most I would say it's of 3 star standard however if you literally just want somewhere to rest your head in between your day to day adventures then this will about suit your needs. For me though, I probably won't be staying here again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo