“Hell Whole”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Hell Whole”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Never ever stay here! I stayed at this hotel with my best friend for her birthday. The room was a very good size, however there was no air-con therefore the room was actually hotter than outside!! Furthermore there is a main road right out side of the rooms with a fire station up the road, so there is constant traffic especially with the sirens and extremely noisy buses. There was a huge rip in the curtain, the bead sheets where ripped, there was no hot water and also the toilet didn't flush properly.
When I mentioned this to the receptionist (who was only there between 12 and 4pm) she started screaming at me saying that the road and air-con was mentioned on the website, it most certainly was NOT!
I couldn't cope anymore after two nights and moved to a hotel in Ramala Bay, so much nicer! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

Room Tip: Research, research, research. Also don't necessarily go for the cheapest first, theres always a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alexandra118
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Myself and 8 mates went to Malta in July we stayed here and the hotel up the road by the pool...
Get what you pay for..
Rooms were big advertise that it takes 4 but easily squeeze six in, 1 room with a double bed, Room with 2 singles and sitting room can take for 2...
Bathroom wasnt the best but did the job.
Very quiet area advertise that your in St Pauls Bay but your just outside it.. Rooms Have beautiful views across the bay that are breathtaking when the suns rising normally about half 6.....
Has a range of ages from young to old staying..
We didnt eat in the hotel but theirs two places Id recommend the pizza palour you pass on arrival aprox 2 mins from hotel and Restraunt beside it that has stairs cant remember the name but its lovely and well worth your money
POOLS for every1.. soo no stress that their none with the hotel... Owned by a man name Brian he also owns the Porto Fino Bar, He made our stay most enjoyable for his sense of humour and overall personality
Drinks cheap..
I would also recommend the Captin Morgan Spirt of Malta cruize for 56euro open bar and lunch you cant complain as it offers you the Chance to soak in Malta beauty seeing many Bays,Gozo and also Blue Lagoon that was amazing its a full day out and worth your money
Overall our stay was great and will be revisiting in the near future

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amywhite54
uk
Reviewed 20 May 2011

We enjoyed our short holiday to Malta. The Rooms here are clean and bright and airy. It was great to wake up each morning to such amazing views. A bus stop is conveniently located just across the road so we were able to travel around the island very easily.

We often dined at the restaurant below. The food is really good and their desserts are to delicious. Don't miss out on their home-made chocolate pecan pie!!

Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank polkadottUk
Northampton
Reviewed 6 May 2011

My family and I have just returned from a weeks stay in Malta, we lasted one night at this hotel and then had to find another place to stay as it is possibly the worst place I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in some cheap, basic places before. Firstly, when we got there we had no hot water as you have to switch it on well in advance to get hot water. The staff didn't tell us this so four hours later we still didn't have any hot water. The bed sheets were dirty, the bedspread had blood stains on and smelt musky. The towels they provided you with were like dirty, grey dish cloths. The toilet didn't flush properly and my room and my sisters rooms windows in the bathrooms were joined so you could actually see each other on the toilet if you opened them! I must admit that the view was very nice over the harbour, however the noise of the traffic was horrendous and we didn't sleep a wink all night, but then that could have been because I was itching all night as the bed sheets were irritating me. As for the restaurant, my husband and I were served rancid rib-eye steak. I never got food poisoning because it was so rancid smelling and tasting that I couldn't swollow it. Fortunatley the owner didn't make us pay for the steaks. I must admit I was surprised by the good reviews as our stay couldn't have been any worse... well it could have been if i'd have eaten the steak!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank EgyptgirlNorthampton

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

clacton-on-sea
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We have stayed at the Porto Del Sol before, it is a small family run hotel and is very clean and all rooms look out over the bay, also the bus stops are right outside very handy, now we come to the restaurant the chef Mr Anthany Schembri who is also the owner is in our opinion the best chef in town very good menu and superb food go there and try to prove me wrong

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3.6 km away
Club Salina Wharf
Club Salina Wharf
#8 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Porto del Sol? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK