“Dinner at Balkan”

Balkan Richmond
Ranked #133 of 1,763 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Eastern European
Reviewed 20 August 2017

My wife and I wanted to try something different so we decided to go to the Balkan Restaurant. We had never eaten this type of food before so were anxious in a good way to try something new. We had an appetizer called "Urnebes" and it was excellent. It was made with Feta cheese, which I usually don't like, but it also had a pimento cheese taste going for it. The bread they served as an accompaniment was also delicious. For dinner I had the Hungarian Goulash and my wife had the stuffed cabbage. My dish was served with a side of mashed potatoes and we also split another basket of the bread. Both dishes were delicious. I will say neither dish was spicy so if you are looking for something spicy you might ask them if they can spice it up some for you. After dinner we split a Chocolate Torte. It was made with layers of creme and chocolate and was the perfect way to end a fantastic meal.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We wanted to try something new and truth be told, I found a Groupon. Irrresistable combination because it allows me to sample many items to see if it will be worth going back. First up was the the Burek, puff pastry dough with a choice of fillings. We chose spinach and cheese. It was just okay. I would have liked a tangier cheese to offset the gorgeous bread, It's big enough for 2 to share. Up next was the chicken gyro. Perfect. I will order this again and again. Chicken was perfectly grilled, and the Mediterranean just pours in your mouth. My wife ordered the Chicken Paprikash. Delicious. Chunks of tender potatoes, chicken and veggies. The only drawback on that was the 11 dollar price tag. Too pricy for me when there are other equally delicious menu items that are more reasonably priced. Last, we tried two desserts. Don't judge. We had the chocolate and cream torte which was delicious! They need to serve this with some raspberry sauce for just that bit of acidity and to enhance those flavors. Next the obligatory baklava; as far as I know they have only one kind. Good, but served a bit too cold for me. It needs to be just a bit warmer so the honey and filling have a chance to blend well.
The Balkan sits in a small, unremarkable strip plaza. The inside is decorated nicely, but not luxuriously. It's warm and friendly.
Service was excellent. The server made recommendations and seemed personally pleased when we enjoyed menu items.
It's a pleasant change of pace, the food was scrumptious, and we'll be back.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

You would never know from the outside of the Balkan Restaurant, located in a nondescript shopping center shared with a "Little John's Pizza", that this is a mecca for those who enjoy the best Balkan delights in Richmond. Even when you walk in the door you won't realize it, except for the smells from the kitchen - it's very small, with minimal atmosphere, and very plain. But I've been there several times, enjoying the stuffed cabbage, Hungarian goulash, the mixed grill, and the tomato salad. You can't go wrong ordering any of them, and there are other great menu items, as well, but I know that each of those listed is delicious. And the bread! Served at every table, it comes fresh from the oven, and I can't get enough of it!

Service is almost too good, it is so fast. The last time I was there (this past week), I wasn't even finished with my appetizer of baked Montenegro cheese when our entrees arrived.

One of the biggest surprises - you can BRING YOUR OWN WINE AND BEER! The Balkan either has no liquor license and/or has special dispensation from the ABC Board to allow this, and it is a real cost savor, for obvious reasons. I've never even paid a corkage fee.

Prices are very reasonable. You simply do not have any excuse to try it out - you'll be back!

Reviewed 25 May 2017

It's been 2 1/2 years since I've been here (and reviewed it) and it warrants another review. The place is not pretentious and I like that, it's all about the food. The menu has changed a little and the dishes seem to be a bit more refined and the selections have increased a bit. As in previous visits the service was good and friendly. I was craving a good burger and had heard that theirs was special. Freshly ground beef, nicely spiced, grilled to my specifications and served on their addictive Lepinja bread. They advertise it as an 8 oz. burger and it's all of that and more. At least 8 oz. after cooking. If you're looking for the biggest, best tasting burger you've ever had this is it. I also had the Balkan potatoes and these are not to be missed. They are what scalloped potatoes want to be when they grow up. I highly recommend this place for no-nonsense dining on eastern European food.

Reviewed 17 April 2017

My boyfriend and I came here for dinner and had a wonderful meal. I ordered a gyro and he ordered the schnitzel. Both were amazing! The restaurant is BYOB, so make sure you come prepared if you choose to imbibe.