“Richmond Overnight Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Richmond Overnight Stay”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed overnight on a Friday. Hotel staff was friendly and room was clean. It is about 15 min. outside City of Richmond, near Richmond Airport. Has clean spacious pool area. They are renovating a wing of the first floor but property overall is pleasing. The TerraNova restaurant is a hidden gem. For basically same dinner price, we had a nicely appointed restaurant to ourselves! Their main business is takeout to business traveler. We had a nice, QUIET meal and it was delicious! We ordered a Panko breaded tilapia and had a nice green salad, bread, vegetable and starch for only $16. We had tried the chain restaurants along the main road and they were all packed and noisy....shhhhh don't give away this secret. Room rate was very reasonable.

Room Tip: Hotel has 4 floors. We requested to be away from an incoming party, away from elevator. Placed on th...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolynb208
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Eden, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We arrived at the Wyndham around 7 pm. Check-in was effortless and took no time at all. We were given a room on the first floor (# 119). This room was more than accomadating. There were two double beds with very comfortable bedding, a lounge chair with arm rests that doubled as a place to set a laptop, a big desk with a very comfortable office chair, a large (maybe 47") flat-screen tv, a tucked-away mini fridge, an in-room safe, ironing board and iron, coffee maker with free coffees and teas and on-the-go coffee cups. All in all, it was very accomodating. The location to the indoor pool/24-hr fitness room from our room was perfect (two doors down) and I was also two doors away from an outside area in which to go smoke. Very convenient location to two very important things. Also, this room was an outside room, so we had no problems with it being too dark. Some reviews from TripAdvisor said inside rooms were dark from having to keep the curtains drawn from privacy. I could see this as being true but only on the first floor.

There were only three negatives that will stand out in my mind. One thing, the bathroom had no vent. Not only did someone going to the bathroom effect the whole room but it also took a long time for the mirrors to lose the condensation as there was no way to quell the humidity during showers. Next time I go on a trip I will be sure to carry air freshner, just in case, and the mirror problem is easily enough solved with a hand towel and a hairdryer.

Also, the doors are evidently somewhat thin as sounds from the hallway transfer into the room quite well. Lying on the beds was not a tremendous problem but in the bathroom near the room door, many times I thought someone must be standing right up on my door having their conversations. This was not the case...the noise out there just transferred in very well.

The last negative that stands out is that this hotel is listed as having a free continental breakfast. I asked a lady at the front desk late the first night how the continental breakfast worked and the hours it would be available. She checked my reservation through the computer and told me that with my particular reservations, adults were $6.95 each and children under 12 were complimentary. I was still willing to give it a try the next morning since I had read in reviews that it was a decent breakfast and I was happy that it was on-site. My son and I went down the next morning. The hostess/waitress asked if we had ever been before. When I told her no, she offered to explain how the breakfast worked. She then informed me that the food on either end was free but the items in the middle, the hot food, would incur an additional charge of $8.95. My son and I ate strickly from the cereal and bagel side (the free side). Before we finished eating I received the bill from the waitress...$14.60!?? The receipt says "2 Cont Breakfast $13.90". This made absolutely no sense to me. I paid the bill and chalked it up to a lesson learned that next time I want to see something in writing from the hotel about their continental breakfasts.

Overall, I really loved this experience. The hotel is very easy to get to. It was a very clean hotel with a modern, appropriate feel to it. Parking is free. The location of the hotel is right across from a very large shopping center housing all things from sit-down and fast food restaurants, a Target, a grocery store, and many, many more shops. If the traffic is right, you're a very short (less than 10 minute) drive to downtown Richmond.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 March 2012

the hotel was nice and clean, the staff were very helpful, but on Jan. 1, 2012, they started charging for breakfast. Disappointing, one of the reasons we booked this hotel was because it had a free continental breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Excellent staff!!!!! Great experience as i walked into the hotel i was greeted by this lovely smile by Cassandra. Great customer Service. I stay at hotels all the time and have never experienced such greatness at any other hotel... Wonderful..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Utica
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The night manager is horrible to deal with. Hope that there are no issues that require you to deal with her.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Justin B