“Good value for what it is”

Super 8 Richmond/Chamberlayne Rd
Ranked #47 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
JOHNSTOWN, PA
“Good value for what it is”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I gave this hotel a 4 not because it is a 4 star hotel but it rates a 4 being a 2 star hotel. Just want that to be clear because some people confuse the two items.

My family and I stayed here for one night on our way back from Busch Gardens. I wouldn't want to stay more than one night and this hotel is meant to be used if you need a clean place to lay your head for the night. I would not choose this hotel for a vacation. The location is ok but nothing really around. It looks kind of scary because they have glass between you and the clerk and at the gas station next door the clerk is in a cage. The lobby and hallways are not the cleanest and had me worried for the room but the room was a pleasant surprise. I was surprised how clean it was. I moved curtains and checked in corners, etc. because I was sure it was going to be dirty. No dirt, clean bed linens even the bedspread and the mattresses looked fairly new.

The room was small but had a fridge, coffee maker, microwave and hair drier. They had a tiny cheap bar of soap for your hands, one for your bath and a little bottle of shampoo. No conditioner or anything else. That was ok because I packed our own not expecting much. The pillows were old and flat but my family used them. I brought my own. The alarm clock was unplugged and I had to plug it in and set it. The tv was old but had decent selection of channels and we had no issues with the reception.

The room was a mix of old and new. The carpet looked brand new and so did the tub and surround but other furniture and fixtures looked old.

Only met one or two staff persons and although not friendly they were not nasty either. The free breakfast was a joke. Little cereals, bagels and danish. It is in the lobby and we couldn't get near it because two girls were standing there getting bagels and that was all the space there was. There is only one table with two chairs in the tiny lobby for breakfast. My husband grabbed a cup of coffee and we skipped the breakfast. Went to McDonald's across the street which was nasty and gross. Threw the food away it was so bad.

There are fast food restaurants within a mile. For something a little better you have to go about 3 1/2 miles down the highway. We ended up at Olive Garden. We were planning on getting in late but since it was too hot to stay at the park we did end up here for most of the evening and the room was fine for hanging out and watching tv and sleeping. The air conditioning worked really well but because of the humidity and air conditioning the room felt a little damp. This was also our experience at a much nicer hotel closer to Busch Gardens.

In summary, I would be willing to stop here again with my husband or my family. I would not want to stay here alone or just with my daughter. I didn't feel unsafe but would be uncomfortable without hubby being there. We had room 215.

Room Tip: Liked being on the 2nd floor verses the first.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank HOSKI
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New Haven, CT
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Stayed for one night, thankfully. Desolate area, too close to the highway. Can hear your neighbors way too clearly all around you, worst of all: in rushing to get back on the road early in the morning, I saw my mattress had several old large blood stains on it. I would have complained if anyone was at the front desk. I was too ready to roll after that.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank serenity74
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This Super 8 is very easy to find, right off the interstate. The hotel is worn and the breakfast is very sparse. However, I didn't stay here for ambiance. I stayed here to sleep and shower, which fit my need and budget well.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Millersville, MD
Reviewed 2 July 2011

No a/c when it's over 100 degrees outside. Took hours for them to change my room and agree a/c was broken. No working mini-fridge. Unconcerned attitude of staff. Terrible section of town. Domestic dispute at 4:20 am. I wasn't expecting the Plaza, but no one would expect this, either. Just awful.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Roscotties
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Good location, only a short drive to downtown. Decent for the price. We eill be back

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank erttash12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
4.0 km away
7.5 km away
Quality Inn West End
Quality Inn West End
#41 of 81 in Richmond

Been to Super 8 Richmond/Chamberlayne Rd? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK