“Looooooooooong, disappointing wait”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Came here for lunch based on tripadvisor reviews. Yes we were forewarned that the food is made to order and be prepared to wait. With two kids in our party of seven, I promptly pre-ordered appetizers even before we were seated. Alas, it was still a 20 minute wait. Our lunch was almost an hour wait (we were the only diners in the dining room) on a weekday. My husband had to run out to put another dollar in the parking meter. My mother could not stand it any longer and inquired with the kitchen how long for the kids' chicken fingers. "Ten minutes" was more like twenty. No wonder...it seems that there are only two kitchen staff and one wait staff (who doubles as the bartender next door). Despite the wait, I was really looking forward to the delicious and "plentiful" lunch specials. Unfortunately, disappointed on both counts. Likely the first and last time I will be here. Perhaps it was an off day?

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Several of us visited Friends for the first time recently and enjoyed the intimate atmosphere, excellent service (thank you, Jonathan) and delicious, hot, meals. I heartily recommend the Frutos Do Mar Em Cama de Pasta (Shrimps, scallops and little neck clams in a white wine, olive oil,and garlic sauce over pasta.) Another popular dish among us was the Febras de Porco Grilhadas (Grilled pork loins with fried potatoes and rice. Others raved about the Camarao a Alfonso XIII (large shrimp cooked in a sauce of mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic and heavy cream). All food arrived at the table hot and generously filled the plates. Tired of chain restaurants? Feeling overwhelmed by dining rooms and impersonal servers. Try Friends in Lowell and feel like a guest being served by a friend.

3  Thank max508
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We were looking for something different while in the area and our hotel provided a list of area restaurants. We decided to try this Portuguese one as we haven't had that specific cuisine. Are we glad we did. Although, we got lost trying to find this place, it was worth looking for.
If you aren't familiar with the area, ask for turn by turn directions! The food was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful in explaining entrees. It was very reasonably priced and. portions were good sized. It has a rather quaint atmosphere even though there is a pub as well.. You do not hear the noise of the pub area as you are separated by a wall. My husband and I both had entrees with shrimp and we noticed that most entree choices being selected by customers were seafood ones so I surmise those entrees are more popular.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Some of the best places to eat are found when your just hungry and need to eat. I was very surprised to see that this small but comfortable, clean, and pleasant atmosphere had a well tasting and big portions of a good looking Portuguese meal. Very tasteful and the server was absolutely wonderful. I am planning to go back with our Portuguese friends to see what there reviews would be. Price is moderate, and well worth it.

Reviewed 28 November 2012

Great food and atmosphere. The service was perfect and very accommodating. I tried the cod fish entree (my wife ordered) and it was amazing. I also had some of the small fried fish, or chicharos. The chicharos were great, lightly fried. The steak dish was okay. I asked for medium-well, but I got well done. All the juice was gone, next time I will order it medium. The sauce that came with the steak was nice. Overall, a good experience.

1  Thank EndyBOSTON