“Friendly Portuguese hospitality and delicious food”

Friend's Restaurant & Pub
Ranked #50 of 282 Restaurants in Lowell
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Several of us visited Friends for the first time recently and enjoyed the intimate atmosphere, excellent service (thank you, Jonathan) and delicious, hot, meals. I heartily recommend the Frutos Do Mar Em Cama de Pasta (Shrimps, scallops and little neck clams in a white wine, olive oil,and garlic sauce over pasta.) Another popular dish among us was the Febras de Porco Grilhadas (Grilled pork loins with fried potatoes and rice. Others raved about the Camarao a Alfonso XIII (large shrimp cooked in a sauce of mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic and heavy cream). All food arrived at the table hot and generously filled the plates. Tired of chain restaurants? Feeling overwhelmed by dining rooms and impersonal servers. Try Friends in Lowell and feel like a guest being served by a friend.

3  Thank max508

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We were looking for something different while in the area and our hotel provided a list of area restaurants. We decided to try this Portuguese one as we haven't had that specific cuisine. Are we glad we did. Although, we got lost trying to find this place, it was worth looking for.
If you aren't familiar with the area, ask for turn by turn directions! The food was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful in explaining entrees. It was very reasonably priced and. portions were good sized. It has a rather quaint atmosphere even though there is a pub as well.. You do not hear the noise of the pub area as you are separated by a wall. My husband and I both had entrees with shrimp and we noticed that most entree choices being selected by customers were seafood ones so I surmise those entrees are more popular.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Some of the best places to eat are found when your just hungry and need to eat. I was very surprised to see that this small but comfortable, clean, and pleasant atmosphere had a well tasting and big portions of a good looking Portuguese meal. Very tasteful and the server was absolutely wonderful. I am planning to go back with our Portuguese friends to see what there reviews would be. Price is moderate, and well worth it.

Reviewed 28 November 2012

Great food and atmosphere. The service was perfect and very accommodating. I tried the cod fish entree (my wife ordered) and it was amazing. I also had some of the small fried fish, or chicharos. The chicharos were great, lightly fried. The steak dish was okay. I asked for medium-well, but I got well done. All the juice was gone, next time I will order it medium. The sauce that came with the steak was nice. Overall, a good experience.

1  Thank EndyBOSTON
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Visited this restaurant for the second time and decided it was time to give a review. First of all, great parking, especially for Lowell! Cute comfortable atmosphere...love the crisp, white tablecloths.This is a Portuguese restaurant...that is what they serve and although I know very little about this ethnic food 2 of my fellow diners did. everything is cooked when ordered and is fresh and delicious!!! Be prepared to wait a bit for your food, like I said it is cooked to order, but your wait will be rewarded and they have full bar service!! I ordered the bife amigos which is a steak cooked in a white wine and garlic sauce (more on the sauce later) with a fried egg on top served with rice and fried potatoes. Yes, two starches and no veggies....deal with it, this is how they eat apparently and it's soooo good! The sauce is something that defies definition in our language, maybe if I spoke Portuguese I could do better but suffice it to say it is a sauce that I want to pour over EVERYTHING! I must have had 8 or 9 whole cloves of perfectly roasted, sweet garlic swimming in the sauce covering my steak...right there is enough to make me keep coming back! The service is fantastic!! We had a beautiful server, Enid...she was very knowledgeable and attentive--probably one of the best waitresses I've had...loved her!

So, if you want something different, but not crazy different go and try this place. You will be happy you did...can't wait to go back!!!