All reviews club level harvard square great location lounge access harvard law school an older building taxi stand historic hotel restaurants and shops bit dated quiet location room was spacious ordered room service front desk staff would stay here again minute walk close proximity
Reviewed 8 March 2016 via mobile

I'm staying at the Sheraton Commander in Cambridge Massachusetts. The hotel has old world charm. The lobby exudes elegance. I love my room. The hall between the bathroom and bedroom make it feel big. I think the room is big. The bed is super comfortable. The bathroom is clean and highly functional. Staff is friendly. My only complaint is the cost of room service. The egg white omelette is $18. Fresh fruit is 10. The American Breakfast is 22.

I ordered fruit and coffee for 19. It was fine but not worth the bill.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
Michael G, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2016

Dear Greenleaftalking,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay. It's great you liked our hotel with our unique historic qualities as well as modern conveniences. I'm glad you also enjoyed our comfortable beds.

Our room service prices are competitive with similar quality hotels, in fact, ours seem to be lower in most cases. Our restaurant breakfast buffet offers the best value at $19. There you can enjoy fruit, yogurt, bagels, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, 4 hot items, omelets cooked to order, coffee, juices etc.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Cambridge.

Reviewed 1 March 2016

Convenient location close to Harvard. Only a 6 minute walk to the edge of the Harvard Square restaurants and shops on Brattle.

A few misses:

1. My room smelled a bit strange, as if it used to be a smoking room and had been converted.

2. I tried to order room service but they missed my order and I had to call in the morning to get it. Luckily I wasn't in a rush so not a big deal, and it was just Greek yogurt and a fruit plate (absurdly marked up in the way that room service is) so it was at least fast for them to bring it by once I called, and they didn't charge me for it.

3. I went to bed early the night before I was heading out, but got woken up around midnight by guests loitering in the hallway and talking loudly. The sound insulation is poor and those guests quite inconsiderate.

Stayed: February 2016
Michael G, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2016

Dear Tracy C,

Thank you for your candid feedback. I'm glad you liked our location were able to experience not only our hotel, but also the surrounding area. I have passed your comments to my team and we will work to eliminate any issues that may exist in our service. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Cambridge.

Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

The Commander is an old hotel, but and excellent location with nicely renovated rooms. We came for a graduation and wanted access to everything in Cambridge without a car. We couldn't have asked for a nicer location and the old feel of the hotel was nice. The statue of George Washington at the entrance was a nice touch as well. Would definitely stay again when visiting Boston.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Michael G, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2016

Dear JClay1967,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. It's nice you had an enjoyable stay in our historic property. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

The hotel is in an ideal location, as others have mentioned. Right near Harvard Yard, Harvard, and close to many restaurants. The hotel's own restaurant is also very good.

The staff is friendly and very competent: Issac went above and beyond to help us with everything we requested. The room looks newly renovated and is clean, comfortable and cushy. In fact, you could fit a family of four into the bed but you can only comfortably fit a child into the bathroom. It is very poorly designed so that two people cannot even maneuver around each other without employing a high degree of logistics. Usually, in a bathroom this size, there will be an additional counter right outside the bathroom and even though they had the room to do this, there is no extra counter space.

The lighting in the bathroom, and the entire room, is very dim. Not even the bathroom makeup mirror was lit. This is not unique to Sheraton but still annoying.

Finally there was an inadequate number of towels, less than what is usually provided in a hotel of this caliber.

Still, a nice experience, especially the comfort of the bed, even with the mentioned short comings. But bring a flashlight.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Michael G, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2016

Dear Rosenmn,

Thank you for your online review. I'm happy you liked our location and service. It's great you were able to experience so much our hotel and surrounding area has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit. If you would like additional light in your room, just ask, we'd be happy to make that happen.

Reviewed 13 February 2016

If you have business at Harvard (I was speaking at a conference at Harvard), the Sheraton Commander has a great location, walking distance to Harvard Law School and Harvard Square. My room was a little small but it was comfortable and quiet, and the bed was large and had good linens. The bathroom was spacious, with ample places to hang clothes during a shower (my favorite method for removing wrinkles). The club lounge on the sixth floor for Starwood elite members is surprisingly large and has nice views of Cambridge Common. The fitness center is a little small but it does the job. The front desk staff (shout-out to David) was friendly and welcoming. One pet peeve: room service shuts down at 11 p.m. Overall this is a solid choice if you have business at Harvard.

Room Tip: I had an interior view room and it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business