“Not for me”
Review of Freepoint Hotel

Freepoint Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I spent two nights here with a friend for a girl's weekend. I wish I'd read the reviews before staying here, though. The lobby is nice and the rooms are fine (although the bathroom was quite small). There was no coffee maker or breakfast but I did like that Starbucks was attached to the hotel. Unfortunately, all of that was ruined by the noisy, loud and rude guests on our floor, made worse by the lack of care or concern by the hotel staff. There was clearly a loud party going on in one of the other rooms. We finally called the front desk at 11:30pm. And again at midnight. And again at 12:15. When we finally heard a staff member come up to knock on the other guest's door, all he said was "you don't have to stop what you're doing, just turn it down". I was pretty disappointed. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Stayed here for a couple of nights at a weekend, the rates were high but it was convention week so hotel rooms were scarce.
The rooms have just been refurbished and were very nice with a large TV, comfortable beds, mini-bar if required, plentiful towels and soaps etc.
Attached is a Starbucks so you can have breakfast there, or, the hotel offers breakfast (à la carte) which we did not try. There is no offering for evening meal but close by are Summer Shack and various other eating establishments.
What is great about this hotel is the service they offer free to Alewife and Harvard Square both on the metro. We didn’t know this up front and paid $50 from Logan Airport - it would have been good to know in advance. I did actually email the day before our arrival to ask this but had no reply.
On our arrival we were greeted by Julia and she was very helpful, giving us a lot of useful information. Having read previous reviews of Reception not being too helpful we were surprised, because Julia was great. However we did see a little of what other reviewers have said when Julia was absent.
As we left we were greeted by the manager and we mentioned that they shoul make more of the free shuttle in their marketing blurb, it is a real asset.

Stayed: October 2017
FreepointHotelGM, General Manager at Freepoint Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Hello,
Thank you again for staying with us! We are very pleased that your enjoyed the amenities the Hotel offers We also appreciate the feedback on ways we can improve.

Enjoy the weekend

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Beware of a few things when choosing this hotel. This isn’t for families. It is a party hotel. They require a 100 dollar deposit which you don’t get back for over a week. I realize it is due to them stocking the room with all types of alcoholic beverages but I personally had the manager check the room BEFORE I left to assure I did not take anything. Still kept my 100 dollars. This hotel is noisy, and breakfast is not included not even a coffee maker in the room just lots of booze! It may be what young adults like but for me personally I would never go back or recommend it to anyone else.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank mp777111

Good afternoon,
I sincerely apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. We met in the Lobby the morning you were departing and I assisted you with checking your room (per your request). You mentioned that you haven’t had the deposit of $100.00 returned to your account. Could you please contact me directly so I can investigate?
Jennifer 617-588-6501

Reviewed 18 October 2017

This hotel is fine for a night's stay but there are lots of great options in Cambridge that I would not choose this again. It is striking how many opportunities the hotel seems to have missed when they renovated this building from whatever hotel it was to what it is today. The walls are very thin and the hallways where the rooms are accentuate any sound - so when folks are walking back to their rooms at night and talking to each other, it is incredibly loud.

The elevators do not seem to have been updated with everything else, so they are incredibly slow and eerily quiet inside, as it seems there is no audio hook up in there for music or anything else. The food at the restaurant/bar is serviceable but you're really paying for convenience. There is no "chef" preparing any food. It is clearly all very simple so that bar staff can put the items together.

The outdoor area with fire pits is very cute and is a nice touch. The decor is appealing to me in its minimal and contemporary look. The bathroom renovations look cool, even if they're not terribly well-done in all cases.

In general, this hotel exemplifies the Fixer Upper vibe - it looks nice at first glance, but when you start to look a bit closer, you see how cheaply it was redone and the things they missed while renovating and recreating this space as a hotel. I wouldn't stay here again if I could help it.

Stayed: October 2017

Hello, thank you for taking the time to share with us your positive and constructive feedback. I was disappointed to read that you thought our culinary offering was simple, we partner with a local celebrity chef Matthew Gaudet. Between him and our Sous Chef they curated a menu that incorporates seasonal items from local farms and vendors. I am excited to share that we have recently enhanced the menu to offer a more New England fare.
The next time you find yourself traveling to Cambridge,I hope that you will reach out and I can personally assist you with your accommodations.
Jennifer
jkavanagh@freepointhotel.com

Reviewed 16 October 2017

A great Hotel at a great price. We booked thru Travelzoo. Staff VERY friendly & helpful. Room was VERY clean, modern & warm @ same time. Good location for us between Harvard Square & Brighton. In a very busy traffic area, that would not deter us from staying again. Shuttle service to Harvard Square & T station which is in sight.No coffee service in room but that is actually not great. We always bring our own mini coffee maker, in room fridge.Starbucks connected to hotel.

Stayed: October 2017
FreepointHotelGM, General Manager at Freepoint Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Good morning!
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will stay with us again

Best,