“Mob scene” 3 of 5 bubbles

Border Cafe
Ranked #3 of 620 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar, Cajun & Creole, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston, Massachusetts
“Mob scene”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

But the food is OK and very cheap. Think wall-to-wall 20-somethings.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Korean first
“Not what it used to be.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I used to go to Border at least once a week, and have also been going pretty much since it opened in Saugus. I usually go to the one in Saugus, but also frequent the one in Cambridge.
Over the last few years Border has been going downhill. The food is no more then average, but at least it is cheap. It is usually cold. The wait staff tends to be unfamiliar with the menu, as the turnover rate is high. One other thing I found was the way they have been cutting back. They started phasing in white cheese in Saugus, and then introducded it to the rest of the chain. The chesse has pretty much no flavor, and is not as appealing as the previous cheese.
Like I said we usually frequent the one in Saugus. However my family and I went to Border the other day in Cambridge. We sat down and were informed they do no have a childrens menu. We were offered small pieces of paper and a pencil for a 5 year old to draw on. Instead of the crayons, and activity filled menu offered in Saugus or Burlington. We had to order a regular beverage at 2.25, and asked for it in a smaller cup just in case it spilled. And then had to purchase a 7.00 chicken appitizer as a meal, and add a side.
I felt 10 dollars for a kids meal was a little steep. So i opted for a 3.98 salad, which is good and hard to screw up, free chips and salsa, and a glass of water to offset the cost of the kids meal.
I tried to complain about the cheese when I first noticed it in Saugus. But it was nearly impossible to find a place to complain directly to them. Since I now noticed the cheese in Cambridge, and mixed together with the downfall of the food and service I thought I would finally write a review.

Border offers more of tex-mex food if you are looking for more authentic mexican try somewhere else.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Delicious food and margaritas at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Border is always a guaranteed good evening. It is my favorite restaurant in Cambridge, and my husband and I go there at least once a month. Their blackened chicken is my favorite dish, but I have tried many others. The fish (salmon, swordfish, catfish) is hit or miss. A few times I have ordered it and it has been outstanding. Other times it has tasted overcooked. I love their margaritas and for a little bit of a change up, sometimes I order a frozen sangria. The prices on both food and alcohol is very reasonable. You have to go early though, because they do not take reservations and the wait can get very long.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wayland, Massachusetts, US
“Fun "Mexican" Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

When I worked in the conference business in Boston I used to send our conference attendees that had brought their families with them to Boston, over to the Border Cafe. (I have to admit that I'd never eaten there myself.) Well, one day my husband and I decided to give it a try. It was a fun place with lots going on. Packed, which is always a good sign. The margueritas were good and the nachos were plentiful. It's not exactly real Mexican food, but, who cares?

boston
“A fun time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Delicious margaritas. Excellent service. Fun atmosphere. Huge servings. It's a stand by for a good meal in Harvard Sq.