“Best meal in years!”

Craigie on Main
Ranked #13 of 625 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$ 40 - US$ 60
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main St. and Mass. Ave
Transit: Central Square T Stop, the No. 1 bus at the Main Street stop
Boston
“Best meal in years!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We've been wanting to try the Chef's Whim at Craigie for years but due to the hour and trouble with child care/school night, it has never happened. Fast forward to several years later, my daughter went to a school sponsored overnight trip and hubby and I finally found a 9:00 pm evening where we could finally go!

When we got seated, it was a bit disorienting to be told "your first dish will be coming in a few minutes", my husband and I were a bit confused because we haven't even seen the menu yet and then realized, "that's right, we don't get to see the menu, we will be at the mercy of the Chef's whim". : ) After this dinner Chef Tony Maws can just whim away and we will be at his mercy!!!

My husband and I eat out quite a bit, both here in Boston and everywhere when we travel. This was by far the best meal we've had in years - since a meal in Paris, a few years ago! I do have to say that it isn't for someone who is not too adventurous and willing to try new things. My husband and I enjoyed the meal terribly but someone might not be as happy getting a plateful of goose necks : ), just incredible!!!, or a dish with the rooster's comb. I noticed however that not all tables were getting the same things so I'd be curious how they decide that. We got the 6 course for $55, THE best deal that it possible for that level of quality, specially a James Beard Chef. From start to finish(usually, everything would be top notch and dessert just almst seems like an afterthought, not in this case), everything was TOP NOTCH! The only part that I'm giving 2* is atmosphere as we were seated in the bar area but am not complaining, it would have just been a more pleasant experience if we were not seated there, but again, just a comment, not complaining - I wasn't there for the ambience, just pure gastronomy.

• Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Boston, MA
“A Real Treat .. Just Superb !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

A Pre-fixed Menu that is wonderful fare. Your can order off the Pre-Fix but I do not know how worth it, it would be. Decadence at its best. A Special Place for Occasions
or to Treat yourself. The wait staff is friendly and very helpful.

Definitely a place to go.

Toronto, Canada
“My new Go-To Place for Roast Chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

In Paris, Chez L'Ami Louis is famous for its roast Bresse chicken. I had always wanted to try it but getting a reservation is not easy. Either I called too early ("You're too early. Call back next month.") or too late ("We're full"). Well, lucky me! I don't have to try anymore. I can book a table online and make my way to Cambridge, Mass for the best roast chicken ever! Step aside Poulet de Bresse and meet Misty Knoll de Vermont!

We started our meal with a plate of house-cured olives. They were very good and reminded me of the excellent olives we had had in Spain. Our server tempted us with 2 small amuses-bouches: a cheese croquette and a tapa of lomo with frisee. I started to wish that we had gone for the tasting menu but we've had lots of excellent tasting menus in Europe and we were on a chicken mission.

Next was the squid ink pasta with saffron, shrimp and scallops. Everything was perfectly cooked and so delicious.

When our server presented the roast chicken, I remember thinking, "That's it? I hope it's good. It looks just like a supermarket roast chicken..." She took it away for carving and presented it on a bed of pureed potatoes with a pitcher of gravy. Maybe there was some other vegetable but I only remember the chicken.

I poked my chicken tentatively with the tip of my knife and knew -- then and there -- that we were in for a spectacular meal. It was so tender and juicy. So full of flavour. Perfectly cooked. That was 4 days ago and I'm still thinking about The Chicken. It's a good thing my husband doesn't read TA or he would know that I spent $74 on a roast chicken. In case he IS reading, Chez L'Ami Louis' chicken is 80+ euros and a much more expensive plane ticket.

As a mother, it's my duty to make sure my kids get their veggies so I also ordered the brussel sprouts roasted in duck fat. The outer leaves were charred black but the interiors were melt-in-your-mouth good.

Other reviewers have mentioned the greasy smell that permeates your clothing. I noticed it too and wondered why the restaurant couldn't invest in a better ventilation system.

2 Thank Gigis_mum
Kentucky
“Gastronomic nirvana”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

6 courses of heaven. Pure food perfection! A carnivores delight. AND 17yo bourbon. My wife actualy ate pork heart sausage and loved it!

Boston, Massachusetts
“What a night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is stuff dreams are made of. Chef Tony's whole animal aproach is a great way to introduce the more timid palate to new cuts, that are prepared deliously.

• Visited May 2011