“Beautiful view, worth the drive! Unexpected...”

Review of Solbrekka Cottage2

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 1 review

Reviews from our community

kagriffin...
Davison, Michigan
“Beautiful view, worth the drive! Unexpected highlight of our trip.”
Reviewed 7 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017

We decided to visit the East Fjords during our trip because they are a beautiful but often over-looked portion of the country that we felt we should see. I booked two nights in one of the cabins at Solbrekka through HeyIceland.is (great site for farm holidays) and didn't do any further research. I should have, but am glad that I didn't, and here is why.

This location is so secluded it takes almost 40 minutes of white knuckle driving (if you aren't used to this kind of thing) down dirt switchbacks to even get into the fjord. Once you are in, you aren't leaving to go do touristy things or get supplies. Had I realized this, I would most likely not have made a reservation here. That being said, the drive down is one of the most beautiful drives we had in Iceland. The pictures that were taken don't do it justice and the words in my head to describe it wouldn't be accurate. We underestimated the amount of time it would take to get there and arrived at an inconveniently late time of night, so poor Johanna, who was our hostess, waited up very late for us.

Once we arrived we realized that we should have brought food with us, but since I hadn't researched as well as I should have and thought we were nearer to town, we brought nothing. There was a small cafe in the village, which turned out to be a life saver. I asked Johanna about making arrangements for dinner and breakfast, and she kindly asked if I would like to join her for lunch. It was such a nice offer and I was so surprised that I hated to turn it down, but we had already made plans to eat at the cafe and I didn't want to interrupt her personal meal any more than I already had. Anyway, she called ahead to the cafe to let them know we would be needing additional meals, which is what people typically do when staying here anyway, or so I was told. The cafe offers a small selection of sandwiches which are simple but good, and the dinner and breakfast that were prepared for us was so delicious!

The atmosphere of Mjoifjordur was so relaxing! We decided to make this the restorative part of our trip. There is a journal in the cabin that previous visitors left notes in, several of which stated that there were whale sightings in the fjord. The history of the area is interesting and there is an old lighthouse at the end of the road (about 40 minutes drive) that is worth going to see.

The cabin is located on a working farm with sheep, horses, chickens, pigs, dogs, and a really friendly cat. Very nice, accommodating people. The cabin itself has the most amazing view and fit four adults and luggage comfortably with a bedroom, sleeping loft, full bathroom, kitchen with dining table and chairs, and a sitting area with sleeper couch. The stay here was very enjoyable. I feel like this could be a very relaxing, romantic getaway for the right travelers. I highly recommend either bringing whatever food you will need for the trip or arranging meals at the same time you make your reservation.

This was definitely an unexpected highlight of our trip!

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Management Response
17 Jul 2017
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review, we really appreciate it. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, you are welcome back at any time!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing