“Disappointing”

Crowne Plaza Springfield
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I finally got to stay in this hotel after many years of admiring it from the outside. The room was nothing special whatsoever. The lobby is very nice, but the staff seemed stuck-up and looked at you like you were a criminal. Once was enough for me.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank GetMeOuttaThisTown
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

I am sorry to read you did not have a pleasant experience while staying with us. I would certainly expect more from my staff, and considering how much effort we put into customer service, I was taken back to read some of your feedback. I have followed up with each department to ensure we are treating our guests with the respect they deserve. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your review and experience. Thank you.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Check-in was unusual, being on the second floor but it was very quick and pleasant. We were given a room on the 8th floor with two comfortable double beds with plenty of soft pillows and a huge bathroom. The bathroom was very clean and looked newly decorated with a lovely powerful shower. The room had a coffee-maker, fridge, iron, ironing board and hair dryer but no safe. Free parking was included in the large car park at the front of the hotel. Wi-fi was free in the lobby but $9.95 per 24hrs in your room. We signed on in our room but found that the fee had been waived when we checked out which was a nice surprise.
The hotel is a short drive from the centre of Springfield but there are plenty of good restaurants nearby, including Outback Steakhouse, IHOP, Arbys, Red Lobster, Smokey Bones.
Would happily stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for providing feedback about your stay. I truly appreciate your compliments of our room amenities and cleanliness. We do offer safety deposit boxes at the front desk free of charge.

We currently offer free wifi to all members of the Priority Club program. This is a free program that includes all hotels in the IHG chain.

I am glad to read your check in was pleasant. To offer an explanation as to why our front desk is located on the 2nd floor; it is to allow conferences to check in their attendees on the conference level.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I booked the Crowne Plaza very last minute on Friday afternoon. We were going to UIS to see a comedian and planned to spend the night but didn't make reservations in advance. Last time we stayed downtown and had a blast. Crowne Plaza is right on I-55 and in the middle of all the chain restaurants. Not really our kind of atmosphere but it worked. I got the room for $99 on Priceline vs. the quoted $139. The fact that I got a deal made me happy from the beginning. Check in took quite a while, probably longer than necessary. The front desk staff warned everyone there was a LARGE junior high group spending the weekend there. He wasn't joking! There were hundreds of them! It made walking through the lobby almost impossible and they were very loud early Saturday morning but that was the only time we noitced them. The room was great - very large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was huge. Great mirrors! We were totally satisfied. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Not sure if they have rooms that don't face I-55 but ask!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am glad to read the kids were not too much of an inconvenience during your stay. Thank you for complementing our rooms and our cleanliness; that is much appreciated. We are pleased to read you were totally satisfied. I hope we can count on your reservation next time you make a trip to Springfield.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Have stayed at the Crowne Plaza twice in the past few years. Both were excellent stays. Nice rooms, good staff, nice pool, nice exercise room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

A simple review can go a long way. Thank you for taking the time to compliment our hotel.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Big Prioirity Club member here and generally go for a Crowne Plaza if I can get a competitive rate. I got the rate, then got a little scared after reading some reviews on TA.

Important to note: while TA reviewers seem to delight in praising restaurants, and they seem to love ripping hotels - you'll find very few positive reviews. What convinced me to keep my reservation at this hotel was the way the GM responds to TA reviews.

At 100 nights plus a year, I'll tell you most stays are average and uneventful. Crowne Plaza was one of these stays. Staff checked me in, upgraded me when I asked and all the hotel systems were in working order. The hot water issue you may read about is no longer a problem - in fact the water may be too hot. It looks like they are due for a renovation in the near future, and I would welcome info on that - furnishings were a little tired.

This is a big property with something for everyone. I'd stay again -gladly so after a refresh. -the Farmer

Stayed: April 2012
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you for your review, Farmer. I appreciate you reassuring our guest that our hot water issue has been resolved. And to answer your question, yes, we will be making updates to our hotel in the near future. As the details to our updates are in the process of being finalized, I can only offer that we are very exited for what is to come. We have just recently installed 42’’ TV’s in all of our guest rooms, and we now offer complimentary internet to all members of the Priority Club program. We are in-the-works of making more great things happen! Thank you again for your review.