“Clean, comfortable hotel with great staff!”

Wingate by Wyndham Springfield
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
“Clean, comfortable hotel with great staff!”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I spent two nights at this property in May, 2012, and I did not regret my decision.

The highlight of my stay was the friendliness of the staff - everyone seemed to genuinely want me to have a good stay. When I checked in, one of the front desk clerks asked about the purpose of my visit. When I said I was in town to see the Lincoln historic sites, he printed off a $2.00 discount coupon for the Abraham Lincoln Library and Museum.

My room was spotless, and it was also very quiet. The hotel is just far enough from I-55 that I did not hear any freeway noise during my stay.

Others have commented about the hotel's distance from downtown Springfield, but Springfield is spread out enough that even if you stay downtown, you will probably need to use your car to get from one attraction to another.

There are several chain restaurants close to the hotel; I had dinner at the Outback Steakhouse, but there are other choices, too.

The only negative is that the entrance to the street the hotel is on (Dirksen Parkway) is poorly marked. I overshot Dirksen Parkway when I exited off southbound I-55, and had to do a u-turn to get back to the hotel.

If I'm ever back in Springfield, I will gladly stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank JoeMSP
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The hotel was very clean. The staff was very nice and very helpful. Although I was in a room where the door didn't latch unless pushed hard enough but otherwise it was very nice. The continental breakfast was good also

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bethers210
Park Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Our son attends the university in Springfield and this Hampton is where we stay every time we come to see him. We've probably stayed at this particular Hampton Inn a dozen times. (Actually, I thought for certain that I had already written a review about this place, but I guess I was mistaken) The rates are wonderful and everyone on the staff treats us very well. We've never had any cleanliness issues with our rooms. Ever. The only time we've ever had an issue was that one time the hot tub had broken down and no one seemed to notice. What I mean by that is that it appeared that people continued to use it after it had broken and man oh man, was it ever nasty looking! But I suppose that's a minor thing in the great scheme of things. We've always really enjoyed our stays here. There's plenty of decent restaurants around. There's a Walgreen's and a CVS right down the street if you need some last minute stuff for your stay. There's a convenience mart just a block away if you want some munchies. You can walk a block to a pizza joint and a bar in the plaza next door, if you care to. Sure, the view of the power plant is just awful (the view reminds me of the cover of Pink Floyd's Animals album) but it's cheap, clean, convenient, and friendly. Quick story- I had wanted to try a local Springfield delicacy called a "horseshoe". (It's a delicious heap of fries, and spicy cheese sauce and meat and all sorts of delicious stuff that's bad for you.) I had seen them on "Man vs. Food" on the Travel Channel. So I ask the lovely woman at the desk about them and "where can I get one" and so on. Well, she was so sweet-she breaks out one of those free colorful maps and starts circling places on the maps for us to go get our first "horse shoe". She was SO helpful and absolutely charming (Dang it I wish I had gotten her name! I'll get it when I see her next time and add it to this review!) she really stole our hearts, she was that nice! Love the free breakfast, too. And we always take one of those take-away breakfast bags, too, even though we've already eaten. We munch on the fruit and treats inside it on our drive back home.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jiminator
Illinois
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I have stayed at several Hampton Inns in several different towns, and like this one very much! The staff is very nice, the rooms are SPOTLESS, and the group rate (we have a family weekend here every year, usually 50+ people!) is very reasonable. The breakfast is GREAT, and there are a lot of different options to choose from. The evening cookies are also excellent! Free internet is available, the fitness center is great, and you cannot beat the location in Springfield. Everything is convenient from here!

We had a hospitality room where we kept our food and were able to visit and play games as a family, really enjoyed that as well, and the chairs and tables were really nice in there as well! We had a ton of families with kids in our group, and the kids had plenty of space for their toys and things in the hospitality room, which worked out really well!

Our room was on the 3rd floor, and was VERY quiet, even though there were a large number of children at the hotel, there was an elementary school basketball tournament in town. We didnt hear a sound while trying to sleep, and we both got a very good sleep as well. The beds and pillows as well as the chairs in the room are SUPER comfortable, and the sheets, pillowcases, towels, washrags were very clean. Everything looked new!

HIGHLY recommended, really enjoy staying here every time we get a chance!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank KCLJ520
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The Hampton Inn, Springfield is a good hotel with easy access to I-55 (very typical Hampton Inn). Like most Hilton Hotels, the front desk staff was courtious and professional. They had my reservation with honors # all ready for check in, they called 30 min later to make sure I was settled-in, they even printed directions to a local restaurant, and my wake-up call was on time . The room was clean and the towels were plentiful. The free breakfast is always a nice value. The pool and gym were very clean but a little small. I like to stay at Hampton Inns when I travel for work, and I like to stay at this one when I travel to Springfield. I will be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business