All reviews highly recommend this lovely hotel charming hotel forest walks rooms restaurant
Reviewed 14 July 2016

On a recent trip to Aurich, my colleagues and I stayed in this charming hotel in a delightful rural setting, with forest walks all around. The rooms were clean, well appointed, and when we arrived in the dining room on a Wednesday evening, it was packed!! Obviously the locals liked it a lot, and unsurprisingly, the food was excellent. The house speciality, a horseradish soup, was delicious, and the Veal"Zurich Art" was wonderful, a huge portion accompanied by red cabbage, ( the best I have had in years,) and croquette potatoes...and although several people around us were tucking into huge glasses filled to the brim with ice cream and fruit, we were unable to eat any more. We shared a tasty bottle of Weissburgunder, and the dinner was topped off with a glass of Schlehen Schnapps, and amazingly, this dinner for three came to just over €80!! After a good night's sleep in peaceful and quiet surroundings, we were greeted by a large and varied buffet breakfast, which of course had to be followed by a brisk walk in the woods. I highly recommend this lovely hotel..and restaurant!!

Room Tip: Choose a garden room..
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Frauke K, Inhaber at Ringhotel Koehlers Forsthaus, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2016

Thanks for your positive evaluation of the stay in our hotel.
We hope to see you again soon in Köhlers Forsthaus,
best regards
Frank & Frauke Köhler und das Forsthaus Team

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We went to this hotel for a few days off, some relaxing and chilling, nothing fancy.

The rooms are OK, the look is somewhat dated but that might change (the bathrooms were better). Right now it looks somewhat 90ies.

The mattress was very hard. Very. As in really hard. Which made sleeping not an easy task (in addition to some noise by some AC system that reduced relaxation somewhat).

The spa area was great. Very well done. Sadly we were there on a Friday which seems to be the local sauna party date: It was somewhat crowded and loud. The swimming area is not big but very well done.

The breakfast has quite a lot of choice and is very well done. Dinner was also nice.

The house itself could use some face-lift, not because it's in a bad state but it just looks very dated, a few changes might make it look better.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jgeuter
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed in Zurich for work and for my purposes the hotel was great. However I wasn't paying the bill and I might have been disappointed if I had been.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel has many great points but I felt that the room was a little small and had seen better days. It was a single room but it was very reminiscent of my student halls in the 90s. As I said it was fine for my purposes but not brilliant.

However the location is nice as it is right beside a wood with running tracks abd fitness equipment and it is nice and quiet, which is especially nice when enjoying the sauna garden.

The staff are very nice abd helpful and the breakfast buffet is amazing.

I will stay here again for business but not for leisure.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Stayed here for one night as part of business trip with large group. Lovely grounds and pleasant service and staff. Garden room was superb and very relaxing. Hotel rambles on different levels but is reasonably accessible. Food was good quality. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Garden rooms worth extra cost
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel during August while Germany was just experiencing a heat wave. With rooms that have no air-conditioning the nights were definitely challenging. The hotel is located a bit outside of Aurich and thus a car is important to have but of course this location comes also with its benefits of less noise and a more relaxing atmosphere. The hotel is located adjacent to a little lake. Outside dining is definitely a nice option during the warmer months although the dining area inside is also quite nice. The breakfast buffet offers something for every taste with a variety of cereals, breads, cheeses, eggs, sweet spreads, cakes, and seafood. I should not forget to mention the wonderful tea which this area is famous for. I would give this hotel an "excellent" had it air conditioning in the rooms.

Room Tip: During the warm months rooms located in the basement are the best choice as this floor just stays cooler. The second floor gets just way too uncomfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family