“Convinient”

Holiday Inn Express Anchorage
Ranked #26 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Good clean hotel with friendly staff located only minutes from the airport. They offer free airport shuttle service and free breakfast. Great

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard J
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 December 2011

Stayed at the HIE Anchorage on a couple of occasions during a road trip in Alaska. It's a good base for the city, and close to airport. US$7 cab from terminal.

The check-in was swift and friendly. Had pre-booked (and also came back at the end of my stay in Alaska.

A nice large room (1st stay was on the lower flr - one below reception, and looking out onto a wall; the 2nd stay was on same level as reception and had better outlook, although I wasnt in the room for its view!)

The airport shuttle was excellent - basically you could call reception from airport phone, and they'd come and pick you up. The return journey to airp[ort was great aswell.

Good breakfast included aswell.

Overall, really good stay, and would definately choose if I was flying into Anchorage.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the same level mas reception, or the one above. DON'T go for ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank nickss1
GlobalTravellerANC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2011

Thank you for your comments. Please request "high floor" next time you visit and will be happy to accomodate you.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Anchorage for three nights in late October. There are many things about this hotel to recommend it but a few things that the management should look into. Lets start with the good: Nice comfortable lobby, a tasty hot breakfast incuding a pancake machine (never saw one of those before), scrambled eggs, biscuts and gravy and some type of breakfast meat (bacon, ham or sausage). The rooms are fairly spacious and comfortable and everything seemed to be clean and well maintained. The room had a good sized fridge and a microwave (which we did not use and frankly I would prefer the space be used for a room safe instead).The price was reasonable for the area and the hotel is certainly conveniently located.

The staff was friendly and tried to be helpful. This leads me to the not-so-good, although the staff tried to be helpful, I feel that they lacked the training needed. On almost every interaction the person at the front had to go get someone else to help. Another negative occurred when quite early in the morning the maid came to our room and asked us if we would like it cleaned. I responded yes but could she give us a few minutes, She said yes but apparently forgot to return as the room was never cleaned. In the late afternoon, after returning to our room, I called housekeeping with no answer and then the front desk explaining our room had not been cleaned but we at least needed clean towels. Someone did bring up the towels and emptied our trash. She explained that they had sent the cleaning staff home early. Shouldn't the maid have told them she hadn't cleaned all the rooms before she left?

In the balance, the good outweighs the less than good and we enjoyed our stay. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Definitely second floor. Soom rooms have reviews of the mountain range (ours did not).
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank K2Travels
Reviewed 8 October 2011

All of the hotels in Anchorage were expensive. This one was a bit cheaper at $180 a night and a bit closer to REI where we wanted to shop before heading on to Seward. So we selected it since it was a fast easy trip from the airport, too.

It was my first stay as a platinum priority club rewards member. I asked about the complimentary upgrade upon arrival as is a benefit of my level. I was told I had a very nice room with 2 beds already. I didn't push it.

We settled in by unpacking our necessities for the night. I opened the window to see I had the worst view in the entire hotel - a view of someone's backyard shed. I did ask about my member level at the desk on the way out to the store. She said my reservation said I was club level - the lowest. Apparently she decided I was making it up when I told her my level and she didn't allow the upgrade. At this time she said she could move me to a better room on a higher floor. I declined since we were only staying one night and after the long flight from FL we just wanted to get our shopping over with, eat and go to bed.

I did see them handing out bottled water to others at check in later. I asked about that. The response was "oh, did we forget to give it to you? " And then they gave us some.

The breakfast was better than I remember from HI express in the past. There was a large selection of hot and cold foods. Some were even healthy choices. This and the clean room have kept me from giving a terrible rating which is deserved by the next complaint alone.

Upon checkout we were told we had a long distance phone charge. Really? Well we didn't even make a local call, much less a long distance call. We explained that we both have cell phones that work in Alaska on our full coverage AT&T plan. We were told the charge was removed and given a bill showing no phone charge.

A few days later the same $8+ charge appeared on our credit card statement on line. It took 4 calls to finally get through to the manager who said it would be removed right away. A week later it was still there. I called back 2 more times and was put off with statements that the manager was not there. I asked them to leave him a message, since I'd already left one, requesting the charge be immediately removed so I wouldn't need to call Holiday Inn corporate guest services. A few more days passed. We tried disputing the charge with the credit card company but because this hotel is on their "special" list of some sort for being trustworthy, it wasn't disputable on line.

I called corporate Holiday Inn. I told them the story about the overcharge. It was cleared within 24 hours after this. The local Anchorage Holiday Inn was supposed to call us either way within 48 hours according to Holiday Inn. That call of apology was never made. At least the charge was eventually removed but not without a lot of time and effort on our part. All for $8 and a few cents.

Even if all had gone well, I'd say this hotel is a bad value. $180 plus tax for a Holiday Inn Express? Next time I'll use priceline and take what I get at 4 stars in downtown at a better price. Or book the Sheraton direct for a few dollars more.

I'm usually so good at picking hotels. I messed up this time. Welcome to Platinum priority club level.

Room Tip: Look out your window before you unpack.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mommabean
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Spent one night, clean and comfortable room, was very convenient for arriving late at night at the airport

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends