“Although the room was clean - NEVER again.”

Holiday Inn Express Anchorage
Ranked #27 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Mount Dora, Florida
“Although the room was clean - NEVER again.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

All of the hotels in Anchorage were expensive. This one was a bit cheaper at $180 a night and a bit closer to REI where we wanted to shop before heading on to Seward. So we selected it since it was a fast easy trip from the airport, too.

It was my first stay as a platinum priority club rewards member. I asked about the complimentary upgrade upon arrival as is a benefit of my level. I was told I had a very nice room with 2 beds already. I didn't push it.

We settled in by unpacking our necessities for the night. I opened the window to see I had the worst view in the entire hotel - a view of someone's backyard shed. I did ask about my member level at the desk on the way out to the store. She said my reservation said I was club level - the lowest. Apparently she decided I was making it up when I told her my level and she didn't allow the upgrade. At this time she said she could move me to a better room on a higher floor. I declined since we were only staying one night and after the long flight from FL we just wanted to get our shopping over with, eat and go to bed.

I did see them handing out bottled water to others at check in later. I asked about that. The response was "oh, did we forget to give it to you? " And then they gave us some.

The breakfast was better than I remember from HI express in the past. There was a large selection of hot and cold foods. Some were even healthy choices. This and the clean room have kept me from giving a terrible rating which is deserved by the next complaint alone.

Upon checkout we were told we had a long distance phone charge. Really? Well we didn't even make a local call, much less a long distance call. We explained that we both have cell phones that work in Alaska on our full coverage AT&T plan. We were told the charge was removed and given a bill showing no phone charge.

A few days later the same $8+ charge appeared on our credit card statement on line. It took 4 calls to finally get through to the manager who said it would be removed right away. A week later it was still there. I called back 2 more times and was put off with statements that the manager was not there. I asked them to leave him a message, since I'd already left one, requesting the charge be immediately removed so I wouldn't need to call Holiday Inn corporate guest services. A few more days passed. We tried disputing the charge with the credit card company but because this hotel is on their "special" list of some sort for being trustworthy, it wasn't disputable on line.

I called corporate Holiday Inn. I told them the story about the overcharge. It was cleared within 24 hours after this. The local Anchorage Holiday Inn was supposed to call us either way within 48 hours according to Holiday Inn. That call of apology was never made. At least the charge was eventually removed but not without a lot of time and effort on our part. All for $8 and a few cents.

Even if all had gone well, I'd say this hotel is a bad value. $180 plus tax for a Holiday Inn Express? Next time I'll use priceline and take what I get at 4 stars in downtown at a better price. Or book the Sheraton direct for a few dollars more.

I'm usually so good at picking hotels. I messed up this time. Welcome to Platinum priority club level.

Room Tip: Look out your window before you unpack.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mommabean
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Spent one night, clean and comfortable room, was very convenient for arriving late at night at the airport

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Stayed one night on reward points before a cruise. Reservations were in order on arrival. Room was clean and quite even though hotel seemed pretty full. Great shower for budget hotel. Airport shuttle was very prompt for pick-up on arrival and to drop us off next morning to get our coach to cruise ship. Free breakfast was good (decent coffee, scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, cereals yoghurt).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RawinderK
NW Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express from September 11- 13, 2011. I had a very pleasant stay, complete with a clean, comfortable room. The floors were a little confusing, as the lobby was the second floor, although it was on the ground level. The room had great black out curtains, very comfortable bed. Breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express fair, but pleasant. I was in Anchorage for a business trip. Fast food restraunts were within walking distance, as well as a "Sit Down" restraunt, the "Village Inn". I would stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor were quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Lakewood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Anchorage for one night on August 25, 2011. We arrived at Ted Stevens airport around midnight. I had called the hotel earlier in the day to confirm that we would be arriving late, and the receptionist said it was no trouble, but just to call when we had our luggage. So, we called after picking up our checked bags, and we were told the shuttle would be there shortly. After about 10-15 minutes, the shuttle showed up and picked up 2 other groups in addition to us. The hotel was only about a 5-10 minute drive from the airport, but we stopped at the Microtel Inn first to drop off one of the groups. Still, the drive wasn't too bad.

Since we were the only ones checking in that late at night, we had an easy time of it. Lobby decor was very "Alaskan" and welcoming. Tiffany at the front desk was very nice. The hotel was full for the night, but we had been upgraded to a suite with a hot tub! We were told it was because I'm in their rewards club, but I am betting it was due to the full house at the hotel, and they moved us in order to make room for another guest. Still, I can't complain about an upgrade! Unfortunately, we were only in the room for one night, but it was still nice. Our room was on the first floor, and the lobby/reception, oddly enough, is on the second floor. There's only one elevator, but no one was using it at almost 1am. The room was clean, but the decor seemed a bit old. The hot tub was in the "living room" area. Our window had a view up into the parking lot, but we could see a few mountains off in the distance. We actually didn't use the hot tub, but the shower was amazing! There was plenty of hot water in the morning, and great power.

In the morning, we checked out the fitness room on the way to breakfast. It was pretty small and no one was in there. We took the stairs back up to the second floor to have the free breakfast. Breakfast was good: cereal, whole fruits, a few pastries, biscuits and gravy, egg w/cheese, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, and a pancake machine. I made a couple of pancakes because I wanted to taste pancakes from a machine, but they actually weren't very good. We enjoyed passion fruit juice cocktail to drink, but they also had coffee, tea, milk, and other juices. We spoke to the front desk about a shuttle back to the airport to pick up our rental car, and she said one was leaving at 9am. We were going to take a later shuttle, but there wasn't much for us to do around the hotel, so we just decided to take the 9am. It was right on-time, and the driver took us to the rental car building, which was nice. The other passenger was going to an airline that the driver didn't recognize, so he just dropped him off at one of the terminals. I'm guessing that guy wasn't too happy, but we were very happy with the service.

Paid $180 for the one night, which is average for the Anchorage area. For what we ended up getting, it was worth it. If we ever need to stay near the Anchorage airport again, I would definitely book a room here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple