Westmark Anchorage
US$ 301
EmbassySuites.com
Anchorage Grand Hotel(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
US$ 245
Dimond Center
US$ 290
Hotels.com
US$ 245
All reviewsroom was cleanheart of downtowncentral locationbit datedfront desk stafffew blocksfitness centersolsticebalconies
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel twice at the start and end of the land portion of a Holland America land tour. The room at the start of the trip was small, dated but adequate. The much larger room we were given when we returned was very nice and more than we expected. The majority of the customers appear to be Holland America Sea/Land tour folks. The front desk and restaurant wait staff were very attentive and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Orlando-Mike2
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My average review is based upon the room accommodations. I have stayed at the Westmark in Anchorage a number of times, so I have a bit of experience with this property. This is a very noisy hotel, and it is almost necessary to leave the tv or room fan/heat on to drown out the street noise. The window and patio doors are old, and I believe if these were modernized, it would make a big difference. They seem to be using lower wattage bulbs in the room, and it's a bit straining on the eyes if trying to do any kind of work or read. The front desk staff has always been great as well as the restaurant personnel. In comparison, I have stayed at the Captain Cook and there is a world of difference in room amenities and comfort.

Room Tip: Rooms near the alley side might be quieter. It's also nice to have a room looking at the inlet, but they will be noisy no matter which floor you stay on.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank inluvwithAK
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed here when the hotel I usually stay in was booked. It appeared clean but is seriously outdated and tired. The furniture, carpet, and curtains were all stained and the noise from the street is unbelievable at all hours (I was on the 9th floor). I travel to Anchorage very frequently and I can tell you there are way better hotels here. There is no way I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I usually don't stay at this hotel, but it was convenient for a meeting I was going to that was held at the hotel. The beds and furniture were from a motel 6 I swear, and I had to sleep with earplugs in because of all the street noise. No refrigerator in the room - which doesn't matter if you don't have a car as there aren't any grocery stores around.
If you plan on having meetings there, don't plan on using the internet or having a teleconference. We had to allow just the presenter to have the internet connection or it wouldn't work at all. The teleconference equipment was a joke as 20 people tried to huddle near a phone just to hear the person talk at all (at full blast volume). Their business center (if you can call it that) is a single computer that people had to wait in line to use. About the only thing i can suggest this place for is a single night to go eat, shopping or see a performance as the location is great....but you can't make me stay here again!

Room Tip: As high up as you can get to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank blueeyes1001
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I was a day late getting into Anchorage due to weather at an intermediate stop. I had paid for two days (used miles to pay for it) and had called to let them know I would be a day late but to hold my room. I figured I had paid for two days so there should be no reason for me to arrive and have to wait for the regular check in time which I think was 3pm...Well, I was wrong..Got there at noon, no room. They did offer me a room on the second floor and I refused (I had called two days prior to request a room on an upper floor). I was told by the young lady at the front desk as I had used miles they would probalby not be able to honor my request. I was not happy. It made me feel like an unwanted customer because they are telling me I can only have the second floor as I used hard earned miles to pay for the room. I knew based on reviews that rooms on the lower floors were loud (especially facing the main street) plus the early bus arrivals to pick up HA passengers made it worse. I was told they could probably get me a room on the 9th floor but it would be a while. I decided to go have lunch and was told the room should be ready by then. We go lunch, come back, no room. They would get housekeeping to get working on a room ASAP..Finally around 3:30pm they gave me a key and informed me my room on the 9th floor is ready..Full of anticipation, I run up to the 9th floor and Oh No, the room was not cleaned..Incredible..! Finally a room attendant shows up and we find out from her that she had just been informed to clean the room..Remarkable. Housekeeping had not been informed until very late in the game and it goes to show you how unorganized the front desk team at Westmark was. I found the 9th floor to be noisy, the rooms were dated and it is not a place I would recommend for a business traveler. The hotel is geared towards herding Holland America passengers in and out and is therefore not conducive as a haven of relaxation for a business traveler or for that matter a tourist spending time in Anchorage. Maybe things are different in the winter months but stay away from it during the summer months. One of the few positives is that the hotel is located across the street from "Glacier" brewhouse which serves excellent food and has a warm atmosphere and overall, the hotel is in a fairly decent, walkable location...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family