“Thanks Hotel Captain Cook!”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Thanks Hotel Captain Cook!”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

It's always wonderful staying at the Hotel Captain Cook, the front desk staff always makes you feel welcome and everyone is always so helpfull! We too were lucky to get a corner room up high with the most breath taking views! Gorgeous mountains on one side and the inlet on the other - it was FANTASTIC! We had a mouth watery meal at Fletcher's and the rooms were lovely and roomy! Thank you Hotel Captain Cook for yet another wonderful stay at your hotel and you can bet we wil be back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Jana_T_383,

Thank you so much for staying with us at The Hotel Captain Cook. I'm glad to see that our Front Desk Staff was helpful and made you smile. The Head Chef in Fletcher's just came up with a new sandwich called a Grilled Antipasto Panini which I tried yesterday and its amazing!
It was our pleasure to host you and we can't wait to see you again.

Here's to Fairbanks, AK! Larest city in the interior of Alaska and founded in August 1901 by Captain E. T. Barnette.

Guest Service Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Finnish first
Lake Lotawana
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This is an older hotel but well maintained. I stayed on the Captains Deck and would recommend it if possible. They serve a hot breakfast and evening heavy appetizers in the 17th floor lounge. Views from there are gorgeous. Also visited the Whale Tales lounge. Very nice. Front desk service was great and very accomodating. Also had a massage at the Athletic Club Spa. Very relaxing.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Dear TravelQueen56_10,

Thank you for staying with us at The Hotel Captain Cook. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and also had the opportunity to enjoy the Captain's Deck and its amenities. The Whale's Tail has been a huge hit since it was remodeled and changed over to a wine bar. With the new self serve Wine Dispensing Machines and upbeat vibe it is a great place to strike up new conversations.

Here's to the Captain's Deck Lounge! Views of Mt. McKinley and Sleeping Lady on a clear day.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 12 May 2012

No other hotel in Anchorage can beat the views from the Captain Cook Hotel. Our room was amazing. We were lucky to get a corner room with unbelievable views of the mountains, Cook Inlet, Mt. Susitna and beyond. The decor, ambiance, food, hotel staff was unparalleled. Thsi si definitely 10-star in my book. Not cheap nut very well worth the money. Service was top notch. Thank you Captain Cook Hotel for an amazing stay in Anchorage!

Room Tip: get the corner units if you can!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear James R,

Thank you for spreading such a grand vision of our Hotel. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the view while staying with us. I was born and raised in AK and to have a guest enjoy the landscape that I love is quite enjoyable. There are so many places to see in AK. If you ever get a chance to travel outside of Anchorage you will be blown away. The views only get better and you really feel that you're in the last frontier.

Here's to Mt. Mckinley! Tallest Mt. in North America, Elevation 20,320 Feet.

Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This is such a lovely place to stay. The hotel itself is beautiful and feels a bit like stepping into a time machine. All the modern conveniences (and then some), but done up in the grand old style. Rooms are very comfortable, clean as a whistle, and have everything you might need. The Crow's Nest is a lovely place for a nightcap -- try an old-timey cocktail!--and the view is fantastic. One of these days I'll arrange enough extra time to have dinner there -- and hit the steam room, too. But the very best thing about the Captain Cook is the service. Everyone in the place is wonderful: welcoming, warm, and genuinely concerned for your comfort. Love this place!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear sbtrini,

Thank you for all the kind words. We are very happy to see you enjoyed your most recent visit at our Hotel. We strive to hit excellent customer service and we are very appreciative to see we
impacted your stay in such a positive way. If you haven't tried a Reindeer Dog at one of the local 4th Avenue Vendors you haven't lived!

Here's to AK Street Food!

nyc
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed at the Captain Cook in the fall of last year for a glorified long weekend. I was told this is "the" place to stay in Anchorage, so that's where I booked. I was not disappointed - everything was nice and the staff made me want to move in!

The valet guys were great (I self parked though), the waitress at the restaurant in the morning was sweet (and urged me to try the reindeer sausage), and the concierge was monumentally informed of everything going on in Anchorage despite the fact I just missed the end of the tourist season. But it was the front desk staff who won my heart when they sent a spread to my room - including a bottle of wine, chocolates, and fruit - when I told them Alaska was my 50th state.

The hotel itself is cozy and warm. The bar at the top of the hotel has a great view. The room was small but nice - I had a water view, but would have preferred a room on a higher floor. The only real complaint I had of the room itself was that I could hear an entire conversation my next door was having on her cell phone through the connecting door. It was kind of awkward.

The location is ideal - you can walk to great restaurants/bars/shops and it's not in a particularly sketchy part of town. I enjoyed that the little store across the street had bikes for rent - the trail is just down the hill and offers great views.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel (my rate had free breakfast) and I thought the food was great.

It's not the Ritz, but this hotel is very solid, homey, and friendly. I will stay there again when I return to Anchorage because it does feel like that special hotel that you'd return to over the years. I hope to do so soon!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear tripper24nyc,

I would like to thank you for your great review of our property. We strive to meet every guest need
in a professional and customer friendly environment. Come back up and visit us in the Summer. The daylight never ends, fishing is amazing, and with every hiking and whale watching expedition right down the road this a a beautiful place to see.

If you have any questions about the Hotel or Alaska please feel free to email our Concierge at concierge@captaincook.com.

Here's to Alaska!