“Did not have my reserved room!”

Anchorage Downtown Hotel
Ranked #59 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Did not have my reserved room!”
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I booked a room for four nights months ago, and followed up with a call to the hotel three days before my trip to Alaska. They told me everything was fine. We arrive at the airport, the hotel van picked us up and when we got to the hotel, they said they did not have a room for us!! In over 30 years of traveling I have never run into this problem. They first offered us some room way south of town. We did not have a car and needed to be in the downtown area. Finally they said they booked another room for us at another (Ramada Hotel). We immediately went there and I cancelled all my nights with the Anchorage Downtown Hotel. I will never stay there in the future.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank marathonjk
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Moama
Reviewed 22 August 2011

A very nice place to stay. Good value for money.The Rooms are clean and cheerfull. Staff are very helpfull and friendly.
Has a very helpfull shuttle service to and from airport and downtown attractions.
We are mature experienced Aussie world travellers and would recommend this hotel to other " grey travellers"

Room Tip: No onsite laundry, but does have an iron in the room. Staff can arrange a ride to the local laundrym...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HalfpintJilly
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We have been traveling for the last 7 weeks throughout Alaska staying in approx 12 different hotels/B&B's. This hotel was the most expensive ($200+per nt) and although comfortable, the room was the smallest - the TV remote did not work and the window would not open. When we advised the staff they appeared helpful but did nothing about it. At 6pm at night we advised that the room had not been serviced. After returning to room at 11pm - No change.
They do not care!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graayso

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

statesboro, ga
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I made reservations for this hotel from a friend who had been there last year. I guess I really don't know her taste in places to stay because I would never recommend or stay here again.The room was hot and very noisy with only one window looking out over a parking lot. There was not a place to even sit in the room--my husband would take a book and sit on the steps in the hallway. The small amount of extra space was taken up with a chest, microwave, frig., ironing board etc. Breakfast was poor with cereal and Sam Club muffins. We cancelled the last night and went to another hotel. It is overpriced and other than the lovely flowers outside not a good place to stay. There are too many other choices.

Room Tip: Not a good choice in Anchorage!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dixiedoll
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We spent a terrible night at this hotel and positively fled in the early morning to never come back. The reason for this was mostly the heat. When we entered our room the windows were open and we noticed after closing them that central heating was on (temperatures outside were something like 16C, 60F). When leaving the hotel to have dinner we asked the only person attendant (who was barely able to speak English) to do something about the heating. When we came back, the only thing that had happened was that he had opened the front and back doors plus all the windows in the corridors but the heating was still running high. There was a lot of noise from other rooms (you could hear people snoring even from faraway rooms) and from seagulls outside so when we still couldn't sleep at 2am we closed the windows (which didn't shut out much noise) only to wake up again at 4am to sweltering heat. Please note that this hotel calls itself a "green boutique hotel". I'm finding it outrageous that they would call themselves "green" when they a) have an ancient central heating system, b) permit it to run when not needed, c) open all windows instead of switching it of! What has that to do with being "green"?!? The only green thing I could find was the towel policy that you have almost everywhere and which is so basic that in my opinion it doesn't give them the right to advertise themselves as green. Also, their soaps were packed in biodegradable paper which still isn't good enough for me to justify the "green" label. As for the "boutique" part: they have put some effort into beautiful wall paintings and classy photographs. Also, bed covers are new, stylish and high quality. Still, it doesn't disguise that the building is a rickety shed. This is also very noticeable in the bathrooms. Some praise towards the mattresses which I liked and were also new (or felt new at least). On the other hand, the bedposts are somehow dangerous: I hurt myself by accidentally bumping into them several times and once even tore of a big chunk of toenail (which is saying something as this has never ever happened to me in my entire life and I definitely did not provoke it by having long nails; my nails are always cut very short!). Their complimentary continental breakfast was alright. A good point of the hotel is that it is within walking distance of the center of Anchorage. But I definitely do not recommend staying there!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple