“Just what we wanted!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Bengodi - CLOSED

Cafe Bengodi
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just what we wanted!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Atmosphere was pure Italian food was good and price was right ... If you want a good local place to eat this us it!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Seattle
“Really?? no cracked pepper or balsamic - and this is an Italian restaurant?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

The lack of fresh-ground pepper (though I did see three pepper mills) and balsamic vinegar was impressively unimpressive. But the real issue was the server. No eye contact, grumpy, seemingly annoyed that we wanted said pepper and vinegar. We couldn't decide whether to write her or to the owner b/c s/he needs to know. Because the food was actually pretty good. Also, better not to wear your glasses as I am pretty sure the dust we saw on the ledges might have been there since, oh, about the time the missing vinegar should have started aging in barrels in the old country.

• Visited September 2011
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent Italian hole-in-the-wall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

After an absence from downtown Seattle of a few years, I was disappointed to find out that one of my favourite restaurants in that city, Trattoria Mitchelli, has closed. Fortunately, I found this little gem not far from Pioneer Square where Trattoria Mitchelli used to be.

Cafe Bengodi is decorated in what I'd call casual Italian bistro style--it's warm, cozy, and dare I say authentic. And intimate, too--the restaurant is small, with perhaps a dozen tables inside and maybe half that many outdoors.

The service on the night I went there was efficient and professional. The food was the real feature, though, as it should be. I enjoyed a hearty-sized plate of tasty pasta putanesca (with perfectly-cooked penne). Though I had initially decided to forgo dessert, my waiter skillfully tempted me with an offering of tiramisu, and I was glad for it, because it was one of the best I've ever had. (I had a half-hour walk back uphill to get to my car, so I figured I was about to earn it.)

I'm very happy that I've been able to find a replacement for my favourite downtown Seattle restaurant. I'll definitely be returning there the next time I'm in town.

• Visited September 2011
Victoria, Canada
“Just smell the garlic!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

We smelled the restaurant before we found it! The aroma of garlic and herds was fantastic! This restaurant is very deceiving - food is ten times better than the decor. It is very small (seats maybe 30 people inside and out) but if you are looking for a quaint "funky" little restaurant this one is for you. The owners make a real attempt to produce authentic Italian food at a reasonable price (for 4 of us, 1 bottle of wine ,appetisers and main courses for $106 - great value). Not a dress up restaurant but if you are looking for great casual Italian dining, give it a try. Note:For late diners - not sure if it is every night but when we were there main courses and wine were half price after 9:00 pm. ENJOY!!

• Visited August 2011
Calgary, Canada
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Service was friendly and prompt. Food was just so so, we both ordered pasta, maybe the pizza would have been a better choice.

• Visited August 2011