All reviews line bus continental breakfast yogurt trader joes stay there again room was clean air conditioner great place to stay few blocks free shuttle easy access street noise coffee maker three nights rooms are small walking distance public transportation
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I am in the hotel business so I recognize a gem when I find one. This hotel is unpretentious but very clean with friendly staff.
It was only a short drive into downtown Seattle Pioneer Square and also a short walk for a great area with plenty of restaurants, supermarkets and shops.
Don't be put off by the plain exterior. the rooms are tastefully decorated and very clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank doglady08
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed here for four nights recently. Great price, great people.. We had a queen room, that was abit tight but we really didn't mind as we were out the whole day.
The room:
Modern decor, clean, comfy bed, cool vanity area. Only gripe is that they had only two pillows! I know we could have asked for more, but we were so tired each night that we went straight to sleep. The TV has a good amount of channels!
Breakfast:
Getting to eat cereal/toast/bagels for a week in a row isn't really my thing. But if it is yours, good selection as well. They have fresh fruit salads, different types of tea and the breakfast room is clean, bright, modern.
Location:
We didn't want to stay in a downtown location which would easily cost twice as much, we were barely in the hotel for less than 12 hours each day. It takes 10,15 mins to get to downtown Seattle (thanks to the West Seattle Bridge). The neighbourhood is pretty accessible too. There are a couple of coffee shops, a supermarket and gas stations within walking distance.

Clean, good location, good price, what's not to like?

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Simran A
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Nice hotel... We stayed in the King Suite for four nights while we were in West Seattle for a wedding. The suite was like a little apartment, with a separate living room/kitchen area and bedroom. It was nice to be able to spread out. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfy. I thought the street noise was pretty minimal, but we wore earplugs because we live in the country and aren't used to any traffic noise at night. That said, everyone slept great which can sometimes be really hard to do when you're not in your own bed. The suite had a sofa bed that my daughter deemed "super comfortable." Both rooms had flat screen televisions. The linens were good quality; so were the towels. It would have been nice to have a fan or window unit in the bedroom portion of the suite. The only AC unit was in the living area. We slept with the window open which made the room more comfortable, but if you're a nervous traveler worried about safety, this might be a bit unsettling. There were no screens on the windows, which was a little strange. My only other issue... and it's just a personal preference... I would have liked to have a dresser to put clothes in. There was a lot of hanging-clothes space but I didn't really like leaving clothes spilling out of suitcases on the floor.

The hotel is walking distance to many restaurants and shops, and there's a bus stop right in front of the hotel, so getting around was easy. Continental breakfast is included with your room. They had bagels and scones, cereal, yogurt and a fruit salad which was obviously made fresh and was very yummy. Coffee and juice were available, but I had to bring my own water bottle since I wanted water to drink. Employees in the breakfast area were really friendly and helpful. Desk staff was nice but not particularly knowledgeable of the area. The free wi-fi didn't work in our room so we just used our phones. All in all the hotel was just fine. Not amazing but nothing that would keep us from staying there again. It would be nice to have more hotel choices in West Seattle. A little competition might really push The Grove into fixing up all the little issues it has, and could turn it into a really awesome, unique hotel.

Room Tip: King Suite 235 was quite spacious, and since you'll probably want to have the windows open, it's nice to not be on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank angelsuhr
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This hotel is very good for location, value and cleanliness. While obviously a restored older motel, it has been done to a high standard. The only slight negatives are bathroom size and the lack of an in-room safe.
There is excellent access to downtown by either the west seattle bridge or by water taxi not far from the hotel.

Breakfast was offered at the hotel, or you can take a pleasant walk to the corner of Alaska and California and try a local place - Easy St Cafe was excellent and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rustyjdawg
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My son and I stayed at The Grove for 4 days while in Seattle to attend a jazz concert. It could not have been more of a perfect spot. Location was great for walking to coffee shops, restaurants and golf course. It was easy access to downtown Seattle for the tourist spots. The room was large enough and always very clean. There was no pool which would have been nice. Will stay there again. .

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family