“Great Location, Really Loud”

Grand Hyatt Seattle
Ranked #6 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Most visits to Seattle I have stayed with family, or out on Bainbridge Island, so this was my first time in a downtown hotel for business. The Grand Hyatt had a great location, easy walking distance to shops, restaurants, and my meetings. It's diagonally across the street from Pacific Place (high-end mall), about two blocks from the flagship Nordstrom, and maybe 10 minutes to Pike Place.

My deluxe king room had a nice layout, huge bathroom, and very cool automatic blinds. The room itself, though, had no convenient power outlets for charging electronics or using a laptop. I wound up charging my phone in the bathroom and putting my iPad on the floor.

My room was on a lower floor, and the windows were not the most soundproof. Traffic noise did not really bother me, but there was a steady, loud hum (perhaps from the air conditioner unit at the movie theater across the street) that persisted for the three nights of my visit. The first night, I found it hard to sleep, but I adapted after a few nights.

Overall, it's a nice hotel in a great location, but I wish it had better soundproofing.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

After the logistical disaster of the Seattle airport, then battling the gauntlet of homeless street people, the Hyatt is a welcome and cherished relief.

Location: City center, within a block of the Washington Convention Center, Space Needle monorail station, and abundant restaurants and shopping. Across the street from metro transit station where the airport train stops. It is 7 blocks from the Public Market; and if you like to walk, an easy 1.25 mile trek from the Space Needle and World's Fair grounds. Unfortunately, on a walk to the Public Market, I averaged two homeless solicitations per block, going and coming, both times I made the trek, and at all hours of the day. In one case, I was followed aggressively at a rapid pace until I crossed a street against the light and in front of a policeman. If this doesn't appeal to you, plan on cab fare. However, none of that is the Hyatt's fault, and it is in a very convenient location. Don't eat at the Westlake Mall across the street. Do eat at Vonn's.

Common areas include a well appointed lobby, plentiful meeting rooms and generous lobby seating. Attached restaurants are Ruth's Chris, a deli/market, a sushi restaurant; and of course, Starbucks. The garage is attached with an elevator that takes you directly to the lobby. Valet parking is $34/night (plus tips). Self park is $30.

The rooms are spacious and very well appointed, with terrific bathrooms. There is a separate tub and frameless glass shower combined with a long vanity. Room darkening shades are electric and can be opened or closed from a switch by the bed. Very nice. Unusual at this price point, there is in room coffee. (Most of the high end hotels make you order room service which is irritating. Advantage, Hyatt).

That plus the thoughtful way they include toothpaste and put the shampoo and conditioner in the shower where you need them, is one reason why Hyatt is eclipsing the other leading brands. Did I mention there were two plush robes in the room? One irritant: internet is either $9.95 for slow, or $14.95 for fast, per day. Why do the mid price hotels give this away while the expensive hotels insist on nickles and dimes? I used a Verizon 4G hot spot - much cheaper and lightning fast. Another problem is the lack of enough plugs, especially near the desk.

Service is superb and friendly. The staff I talked to all seemed to want to be there, including one young fellow who had only had the job two days. When I checked in, the first room had a running toilet that couldn't be stopped. In no time, I was in another, and superior, room.

The fitness center has a nice variety of free weights (but only to 50 pounds), weight machines, and cardio. There are both dry and steam saunas as well as a hot tub that holds twelve. There are massage rooms implying that service is available though I did not see any staff on site. The center is clean and the equipment well maintained.

Overall, this is an excellent choice if you need to be in downtown Seattle. Note to local CVB: given the horrid airport and a homeless problem far worse than NY or DC and on a par with San Francisco and Atlanta, I would not plan a meeting there. Just saying...

Room Tip: Guest rooms start on the tenth floor, then through the 30th floor. Rooms on the west side from 20 up...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank 94Q45T
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Thank you for the great review of the Grand Hyatt Seattle! We are walking distance to so many great attractions (Convention Center, Space Needle, Pike Place Market) and restaurants, convenient for recreation or business travelers. Von's is also a favorite among many staff members and guests and is conveniently located next door. We are pleased to hear that your guest room stay was comfortable and that you had everything you needed from bath amenities to work out machines. Come back and see us soon!

Lindye W.
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Four day stay in Seattle was wonderful. Short walk to the Pikes market and really where ever you are headed. Staff was every helpful. They did have a problem finding us the right bus route to a Tea Garden that we wanted to see. Thankful a bus driver told us how to get there. Rooms were great, very up to date with lots of room. Many good eating establishments near by. Will stay here if we go back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank padidion
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Thanks for the review! We agree - our central location is unbeatable with walking distance to so many Seattle attractions and 'must-sees.' Be sure to come back to see the King Tut Exhibit or the new Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Lindye W.
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 17 June 2012

I stayed for 5 nights. I had a problem which involved security. After Hyatt was alerted to the problem, they worked very hard to correct it. Everyone in the security department was courteous and very respectful to me. When I left, I was assured that the issue would be resolved to my satisfaction, and it was!

Attached to the lobby, there is a Starbucks and a mini mart that makes great fresh sandwiches to order. Wonderful if you don't have the time or desire to hang out in a restaurant.

No funky "weighted" mini bar jammed with beverages and food you don't want to eat. If you want a mini fridge just ask for it, and housekeeping will bring it up. I did!

My overall impression of Grand Hyatt Seattle, as a business traveler, exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: I had a mini suite, but the regular rooms looked very nice also.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt before an Alaska cruise. The location was perfect for a walk to Pikes Market and to the Monorail to see the Space Needle. The Bell staff was very welcoming as was the Front Desk staff. The room had
a great view of the Space Needle at night. beds very comfortable and bathroom a great size for two women. The lounge on 27th Floor was good for snacks, cocktails and a very nice Continental breakfast. Only an $8.00 cab ride to the cruise pier.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends