“Great steak, spotty service”

Sullivan's Steakhouse
Ranked #164 of 4,111 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th Ave & Union St.
Description: Sullivan's Steakhouse livens up Seattle's dining scene with Steak, Local Seafood, Martinis and an Award-winning winelist. Sullivan's Steakhouse offers Midwestern, corn-fed, U.S.D.A. high-choice beef aged a minimum of 28 days. Always hand-selected, Sullivan’s hand-cut steaks are simply seasoned and broiled at 1,200 degrees for the perfect flavor. Also featuring fresh seafood from Seattle vendors, veal, pork, lamb and chicken entrees, classic appetizers, hand-made soups, salads and sides, including Sullivan's renowned horseradish mashed potatoes. Desserts, like the rest of the menu, are also house-made from scratch including key lime pie, cheesecake, bananas foster bread pudding and vanilla bean crème brulee for two. Lunch features fresh salads, artisan sandwiches, fresh seafood and what will quickly become Seattle’s downtown power lunch location. Come enjoy Unsurpassed Hospitality in Downtown Seattle just minutes from Pike Place Market and across the street from the Convention Center.
“Great steak, spotty service”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I will start with the food. Escargot and ahi tartar were very good. Salads were good, but nothing special. I enjoy tomato/mozzarella salads. Unfortunately, the tomatoes were not quite ripe enough and the seasoning was a bit salty and heavy handed. Generally a bit of basil and balsamic does the trick. The main courses were truly memorable and outstanding. I had the bone-in filet and it made my top 5 steak of all time list. Didn't need any sauces over it, etc. Just great as is. The desserts were not of the quality that I'd expect of a restaurant this expensive.

The service was hurry up and wait. Not smooth at all. Very clumsy in attending to the plates/glasses at the table. We felt like we were being descended upon and pushed aside to get to them. In the interim, there were lulls in the service. 10 minutes to be greeted after being seated. 10 more to get drink orders. A full 20 minutes to get our after dinner coffee/drinks. Cappuccino was room temp and sent back and one of the aperitif glasses was dirty...very dirty. The restaurant itself wasn't terribly cozy and looked like they tried to decorate it like a traditional speak easy on a shoestring budget.

Total with tip/tax/wine was $700 for 4 people.

My recommendation for great steak and atmosphere for that price wouldn't be Sullivan's, but rather the El Gaucho in Tacoma. Much cooler atmosphere, much more attentive/refined service and wonderful food.

Top 5 All-time
1. Manny's - MPLS
2. Charley's - Orlando
3. Murray's - MPLS
4. El Gaucho - Tacoma
5. Smith and Willensky - NYC

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank baggydomer
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Vermilion, Ohio
“Great steaks - no bull!”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Many restaurants advertise themselves as great steakhouses, but the reality is often a hit and miss affair. Fortunately, Sullivan's bucked the trend and provided my family and I with absolutely great steaks. Both the product and the preparation were fantastic. That the service was also impecible just added to an overall good experience. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited January 2012
Kent Washington
“Expensive but worth it”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We had dinner before going a musical at the Fifth Avenue Theater. I was worried about parking but Sullivans offers free valet parking and they said it was no problem to leave the car until the show was over. My wife and I both ordered from the early dinner pre-theater menu which offers a 4 course meal for $35. Our waitress was a trainee and not familiar with the special menu but when I asked she checked with another server and then brought it over to us. The meal included a salad (Caesar or lettuce wedge), a choice of 4 entrees including filet mignon and salmon, 2 side dishes (asparagus, crab fried rice, horseradish mashed potatoes, etc), and dessert (key lime pie, cheesecake, or chocolate mousse) . We also ordered the cheesesteak egg rolls as an appetizer. The egg rolls were quite tasty. The lettuce wedge came with crumbled blue cheese and chopped tomatoes. I mentioned to the server that I've had bacon on wedge salads at other restaurants. Within 30 seconds she unexpectedly returned with a dish of crumbled bacon. We both ordered the filet medium rare. We were told that meant warm red so we changed our orders to hot pink. The steaks came cooked to perfection. Mine was quite good but my wife's had a couple of gristly bits. I had the mashed potatoes which were excellent and the mushrooms which were pretty good. My wife had the asparagus and the rice which were both excellent. My son ordered a 26 ounce long bone ribeye which was one of the nightly specials. It came with about a foot of rib bone attached to the steak. Very impressive and also cooked perfectly. My wife and I had the mousse for dessert and my son had the peanut butter chocolate bottom pie which was much better than the mousse. Overall a very enjoyable experience. The atmosphere was quiet and the service was excellent. It's not speedy but we weren't looking for fast food. We were out the door exactly 2 hours after we sat down. It's a bit spendy. Even with 2 of us ordering from the special menu it came to $175 for 3 people (not including drinks) but it's worth the expense for a special occasion.

• Visited December 2011
Liberty Township, Ohio
“Outstanding Steakhouse! Expensive, But Worth It!”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Because this Steakhouse does not have many reviews yet, I will give a slightly detailed review. Five of us walked into Sullivans without a reservation around 6pm on a Saturday. We were told "no problem," and were seated quite quickly.

Also, on this night there was someone in the bar playing a piano. At first, I thought it was a little loud and worried that it might ruin my dinner. However, because of the layout of the restaurant, in the dining area, the piano was not loud at all and was actually quite pleasant and added to the dining experience.

After ordering a first round of drinks, we ordered the following:

APPETIZERS
Crispy Shanghai Calamari ($14): An excellent twist on the traditional order of calamari. It was a blend of traditional calamari with a Chinese inspired sauce over it. A must!
Cheesesteak Egg Rolls ($12): I'd recommend them. There were 4 halves on a plate.

DINNER SALADS (Comes with an Entree Order)
I ordered the Caesar salad, which was nothing to write home about. However, everyone else at the table ordered the wedge salad, which they all said was great.

DINNER PLATES
Dry-Aged Strip Steak ($38): This was my entree, and there are two standards which let me know whether I am eating a great steak. First, I could cut it with a butter knife with no problem if I chose to. Passed! Second, I would feel like I was insulting the chef and steak if I added salt, pepper, or steak sauce to it. Definitely Passed! While not always on the menu, as this was a special for the night, it definitely should be!
The rest of the table had a combination of Filet Oscar ($43) and Lamb Chops-Triple Cut ($40). All of them gave great reviews of their meals.

At this point we were so stuffed, we could not even contemplate ordering dessert; however, I am sure it would have been amazing.

To make a long story short. Our total bill was $350.00 before tip, and typically that would cause my head to spin. However, I will gladly pay $40.00 for my steak when it is as good as I had at Sullivans. Next time I am in Seattle, I will definitely be back as a repeat customer!

• Visited September 2011
Marietta, Georgia
“Morton's wannabe”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Party of 12 for dinner. Food pretty good, service a tad smothering. Would not be a steak house of choice in downtown Seattle.

• Visited August 2011

Been to Sullivan's Steakhouse? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK