“A tranquil retreat in Seattle”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seattle
Shafer Baillie Mansion
Ranked #5 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
South Florida, Florida
“A tranquil retreat in Seattle”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My daughter and I stayed here in June for 3 nights. It was the perfect location in Seattle for us, as we did not have a car. We could walk downtown, to the Pike Place market, or to the ferry terminal. Breakfasts were excellent, and the hosts provided 24 hour coffee/tea (wonderful tea choices!) in the dining room. The house is very quiet, in a residential area, but a 5-10 minute walk from some interesting ethnic restaurants and shops, which we very much enjoyed. The room was comfortable, and as pictured (on the 3rd floor). I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I was on a whirlwind trip of the Seattle area. My highlight was definitely my trip/stay to the Shafer-Baillie Mansion. Glen was very helpful giving me directions to the mansion over the phone and showing me around the place. It is such an amazing property. The bed was amazing, room was bright, spacious bathroom and larger than I expected flat-screen television. He also was very helpful in recommending some great local places to eat along 15th! Unfortunately, I had to leave extremely early the next morning, and Brenda offered to pack me a to-go bag. I was so touched at the feast she had packed which lasted me all the way back on my trip to the east coast. My only regret is I did not get to stay longer. I will definitely be back again. One last note, I was a bit apprehensive about the parking being on the street...but they were right, there was plenty of parking on the quiet residential street!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert N
Piney Point, Maryland
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We have lived in the Seattle area for about 3 years and have been relocated by our company out to the east coast. We stayed at the mansion after our things had been packed up and sent on its way out east. We absolutely loved the mansion and all their rooms. The breakfasts were amazing, ideal for what my husband and I like for our first meal of the day! Everyone was so great here and made our stay, after being tired from moving all our things, very pleasant. The location to Capital Hill is great and its a slight walk to downtown Seattle but if you not up for that, the bus stop is only a block away from the mansion which makes it nice if the weather isn't great! We have lots of friends still in Seattle and will defiantly stay here anytime we come back!

Room Tip: The 3rd floor suites are large rooms and are very nice. We stayed in Queen Ann Room and was very nic...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This comfortable B&B is a ten minute bus ride from Pike Place Market, two blocks from Volunteer Park and a five minute walk to a dozen or more pubs, cafes and restaurants. Because I booked at the last minute, I had to swap rooms a couple of times which was no issue. I loved the Capital Hill room - it faces the back of the house on the second floor and is super quiet with a very comfy bed. Then I moved to the Volunteer Park room which faces the front of the house and is next to the stairs. This room was a bit noisy and I wasn't thrilled with the lack of an opaque curtain on the bathroom window. The bed was super comfy though and I loved the soaking tub! This evening I moved to the Master Suite which is HUGE. After the two previous beds, I'm looking forward to another perfect night's sleep. Breakfast has been great every morning. One hot dish and the usual fruit, cheese, cereal, yogurt, pastries etc. I can understand why some folks might find Brenda unusual. She's a very straightforward person. I think I'd dislike her if she pretended to be the typical sweet as marzipan inn-keeper zombie that I've met in so many B&Bs over the years. Glen was also really kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Capital Hill was my favorite - just because it was so quiet!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
philadelphia, pa USA
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My wife and I spent six nights at the Shafer-Baillie as a home base for bicycling around Seattle. It was a splendid choice. The mansion---and it really is one---was thoughtfully and sensitively restored from top to bottom. Our room, (the southeast ballroom), was huge and as nicely appointed as any room in a four star hote. The bed and bedding were heavenly. While all the rooms are large, the master suite is larger than some apartments and would well serve the Queen of England. Brenda, the innkeeper, was friendly, helpful, ooozed southern charm and kept a big bowl of chocolates filled to the brim. Our breakfasts were good, with fresh fruit and home-made pastries. The mansion is located in a leafy turn of the century neighborhood with easy walks to fine restaurants. If you want to go downtwon, you are one block from the #10 bus. It really is the only place to stay in Seattle.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet. If you can spring for the master suite, do it.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple