“loved it!”

The Green Tortoise Hostel
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The Green Tortoise is a great place to stay when visiting Seattle. It has a good vibe.. The common area is always lively and a great place to make new friends.. The location is perfect and everything is within walking distance.. Free dinners, beds with curtains, good price.. had a perfect stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We booked here as it was Probally one of the cheapest in Seattle and we got a great surprise! The location is fantastic and you can walk to all the attractions, the staff are so helpful, the hostel is nice with a big seating area and a nice kitchen. you also get free breakfast, wifi and dinner 3 nights a week (days are tues, thurs and sun) and it's a big really decent meal too! The only thing I didn't like was unisex dorms but it's not too bad as all beds have curtains with your own light so you can shut everyone out! I would always stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank bright_ii
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Conveniently located on 1st and Pike, across from Pike Place Market,which is one of the busiest attractions in downtown Seattle. It's two or three blocks/ a five minute walk away from the shops, the waterfront and public transit corridors.

I stayed in a 6-bed dorm room for $30 per night in February. I paid $20 in cash for damage deposit (for the key, and I got it back later). Upon checking in I got my room key, which had access to the hallway of the dorms and my room.

A friendly staff took me to my room at the end of the hallway. I got the top bunk! There is a huge locker at the bottom, twice the size of my luggage. There are two windows in the room that allow for nice daylight and ventilation. There is a sink and a small mirror by the door. Free Wi-fi. The signal wasn't strong in the room but was pretty good in the common area.

The bed: The ladder was very sturdy that I was able to stand on it and fix my bed. xD
One reading light. One fan. One pillow. Two drapes surrounding the bed for privacy. Two blankets, one thin, one thick. Four outlets for charging gadgets.
Was the bed comfy? Yes, very, it didn't creak.
However, the streets outside gets busy in the morning. I heard trucks and cars. Perhaps I was just too excited.

The bathrooms: There were four single occupancy bathrooms on my floor.Shower, sink, toilet, two hooks on the wall, paper towel,hand soap, outlets. Very clean.I borrowed hair dryers from the front desk. Bath towels were rent-able for $1 each.

Food:
NO FOOD IS ALLOWED IN THE ROOMS. BUT! - There's free breakfast every morning from 6-9:30. Lined up from left to right :juice, canned pineapple, orange slices, bananas, white toast, wheat toast, peanut butter, jam, jelly, margarine/butter. There might have been eggs in the kitchen, but I didn't check.

Free dinners on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays at 7pm. I took advantage of two of them for the three nights of stay. On Tuesday there were tacos, wraps, meat (...?) and salad. On Thursday there was pasta, meat sauce, vegetables, bread and salad. Delicious? Very! Food was cooked by a great staff.

Fun facts: All the plates, mugs and cutlery were different... After eating everyone bused themselves, rinsed the dishes, put on a rack, rack into the dishwasher. I volunteered to help with the dishes on Thursday night, just rinsing basically. :P

Staff and activities: I had trouble telling who was an employee and who was not. They were just like any of us. Young and friendly! There was an announcement before dinners. It was sorta like a meeting, while everyone sat at tables in the common area/dining room. Plans for the night were discussed. Live music, clubbing, bar crawls... There is food tours and yoga sessions during the day as well. Check their calendar.

Things to bring (probably):
A lock for the lockers, shower slippers, a hanger, a water bottle, toiletries in a bag, a bath towel

Checking out time was 11am. I brought my sheets and pillowcase to the hamper beside the kitchen. Returned the key and got my 20 bucks back! :D Free luggage storage before I went exploring the city on my last day.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Jiaoj
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Very well run hostel located at Pike Market, close to the waterfront and upscale downtown areas, public transportation. Very walkable location I got there easily from the airport using the hostel's directions. The hostelis is in the heart of activity, food markets, restaurants, pubs, tourist shops. It's all fun. The hostel has a staircase up from the street to negotiate but once in, everything is smooth. My 4 bed women's dorm had multiple clean single person baths across the hall. The bunk beds had lockers below, privacy curtains, bed lights and a there was a sink in the room. Linens are included as well as a full breakfast and sometimes a free dinner. For breakfast there are make your own fresh eggs and pancakes and plentiful fruits, cereals and breads. We did enjoy one of the free dinners which happened to be tacos with healthy fillings offered. There is always free coffee, tea, hot chocolate available. There was street noise from people outside and early morning trucks coming to unload, so bring earplugs. The hostel itself was quiet. The management had information on things to do and see. The common rooms were well used but you will want to be out out enjoying the city outside the hostel's door. Great staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank maineexpl0rer
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed here for just a couple Of days. Had a 4bunk bed rooms. Very convenient to pretty much all that you wanted while you're in the City. Close to the Public Market, Bars, shopping area, a decent walk to the Space Needle, and so as to the first starbucks store.

The hostel have free meals during the week and also they host some small tours and activities courtesy of Sacha! He's the best!

I would defenitely come back and stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011