“Awfully dirty and unmaintained place, no breakfast”

Travelodge Seattle University
Ranked #91 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 15 December 2011

This is a very ill-kept place. The carpet in the room was so dirty that it painted my socks and feet black as I walked around. The bathroom was barely ok, I dared not sit on the chair, and the bed was suspicious. And it's certainly not in the price range where this is the norm.

The breakfast is a joke, even if you get a chance to sit in the "dining room" that can only seat about four people, I suggest going to the mall on the other side of the road for a quick bite. During my stay the "menu" was lukewarm coffee, orange juice, and individually packaged magdalenas.

As for the location, UW is very close, but not much else in Seattle is.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Frank_O_advisor
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

I now see that other travelers have had a similar experience to me at this hotel. The hotel is indeed a bit outdated for the price and location (which is good), however, I can usually overlook outdated facilities as long as my basic requirements are met. First, I want fast and reliable, free internet. Here the internet is free but it's a very poor connection. It hangs up and restarted a lot. When it is running it's running slow. Second, I want enough blankets that I can stay warm. I usually sleep hot and have nothing but a sheet. However, here I was cold and had to wear socks and listen to a very loud air conditioner (in heat mode). I have stayed in far worse hotels so it's not awful. With a few small touches, this hotel could be so much better. One good thing I almost forgot to mention. 4 outlets beside the bed. I wish most hotels did this so you can plug in your cell phone and laptop and not have to unplug the light and clock.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank sfhostel
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I was afraid I was going to get bed bugs. Great location, but room smelled as soon as I walked in. Bathroom smelled like urine. Sheets were wrinkled like the bed had not been changed. Old crummy shower no light bulb in lamp. Very over priced for what you got. Hallways filthy. Only thing good is location.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen W
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I stayed here with my gf and another couple for a short 2 day shopping trip at the beginning of September. The location is very good as it is located in the university village and across the street from a good mall.

We stayed on a room on the third floor and it reminded us of an old, outdated apartment. We had read some poor reviews but we were willing to give it a chance based on the great rates offered to us by expedia. It wasn't worth the value. Although the girls were disgusted by the carpeting, the draping and the stains on the couch and the sunken in cushions, it was spacious and the bedrooms seemed adequate enough. However, all 4 of us received a maximum of maybe 2-3 hours of sleep each. The beds were extremely uncomfortable, and would constantly creak at every movement. There was also a construction crew that began working outside the hotel at 6am and that woke all of us up as the paper thin walls allowed us to hear every word said between the construction workers as well as the constant drilling and sawing.

I've stayed in some pretty bad hotels, but this one takes the cake by far. Like another previous review stated, unless your homeless..AVOID!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cypanadero
shirley3591, Manager at Travelodge Seattle University, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. I am disappointed that your room was not up to our standards during your stay. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that we are updating our property with renovations and I believe you’ll find our accommodations more to your liking next time you are in the area. Thank you for commenting on our location. It is perfect in many ways with restaurants and shopping across the street, easy access to the highway and the University of Washington only a mile away.

Reviewed 2 October 2011

Across from University Village (Mall) and near the University of Washington, the Travelodge is probably the most reasonably priced motel in the neighborhood, but we have watched it slowly go downhill the last few years we have stayed there. The rooms are typical in size and furnishings, and are clean for the most part, but, wear and tear is becoming more obvious: there were hooks for pictures on the walls, but one picture was missing. Similar hooks remained in the wall for a bedside lamp, but it had been replaced with a table lamp. The corners of the bathroom floor hadn't been cleaned recently. The pool and hot tub are not open. There are cracks walls. Still the location is great and there is (limited) free parking. The breakfast room is tiny and therefore crowded. The breakfast is very limited. A few annoying things include a charge daily for the safe in the room even if, like us, it is not used. The phone also has to be set up by the front desk for "800 number" calls, something that is not apparent unless you ask after getting continued busy signals. Yet the staff is accommodating and the location is very good.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo