“Wow wow wow wow!!!”

Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 307 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Queen Ka'ahumanu Hwy
Description: ‘ULU Ocean Grill & Sushi Lounge is the breathtaking new oceanfront fish and seafood restaurant at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, where Executive Chef James Babian’s acclaimed “R.S.A. - Regional, Seasonal and Artisanal” cuisine is served in Hawaii’s most beautiful setting - alongside the surf and under the stars. The restaurant showcases a stylish blend of Hawaiian architecture and modern flair - a lively, informal setting where guests are inspired, surprised and delighted by the Hawaii’s beauty and the flavors of the Pacific, through an innovative menu with playful tableside presentation. Cuisine is prepared oven roasted, flame grilled and wok fired, while an extensive wine list, with a special selection of boutique wines is presented via iPad. The modern sushi lounge and ocean view bar feature the Island's freshest sushi, as well as craft cocktails, sake and Japanese beers. Casual, friendly and knowledgeable servers guide guests through a social dining experience not to be forgotten.
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

I’m always sort of disappointed with the food on the islands. So, I was skeptical to try this place. However we wanted a “nice” meal so we went for it.

All I can say is, at least from our experience, WOW!! Of all the meals, I’ve ever had on any of the islands this was by far the best.

Service was excellent. We had a small problem with our meal, they were mortified and swiftly worked to solve it.

My steak was excellent. Sushi selections were outstanding. I was very impressed with the level of all of the food. Really a great meal.

1  Thank Paukenguy

Reviewed 8 September 2018

My wife and I went there for our wedding anniversary, now before I really get into this review I must tell you that this is our second time here. We went last year and it was absolutely great but I don’t know if they switched managers or food suppliers but it is not the same. This time around I ordered the 55 dollar lobster, when it came, that’s all it was, one little lobster tail in a bowl with nothing else. The waiter said “oops, I’m sorry, I forgot to ask if you wanted rice or something with it” he never did bring anything else. My wife had some fish dish, took three bites of it and didn’t eat any more. When the waiter came to talke our plates away he never asked how it was or anything. So by that time we were so upset that we didn’t even stay to watch the sunset like we did last year. I wrote a review to the restaurant and I am still waiting for a reply from them, that was a week ago. We will never be back and will also stop recommending this place as we know a lot of people who have been there because of our recommendations and now I am so embarrassed that we sent them there. So because we went early we sat and had a drink before supper, so for a total price of over 225 dollars US, all I can say is what a waste of time and money. Go here for the views as they are amazing, but as far as food and service, not worth the money.

4  Thank Pioneer798491
Reviewed 3 September 2018

We had a truly delicious breakfast and dinner at Ulu! We stayed at the Four Seasons for just one night, and felt we were in paradise! This restaurant was the topper, as the food was amazingly fresh and flavorful and the service was impeccable! There is something about being addressed by your name that seems to make the meal even better! The fresh fish was amazing, and the breakfast was satisfyingly delicious! So so glad we ate here!

Reviewed 8 August 2018

The environment of the restaurant and customer service is good.The food looks good too.
However, if you are looking for something special, this is not the place to go. The chefs cared more about how it looks instead of the tastes. A well balanced dish should not need to be paired with drinks.
1. Ahi tartare- too much sauce. They can make it as crackers to mix the flavors and reduce the sauce for each bite. Scales left in the dish. I found one.
2. Sashimi - the Shiso leaf taste great but too strong to wrap it with single sashimi. It would taste much better if they minced it or chopped it. Fresh fish with a scale left on sashimi.
3. Pork belly- This dish is a no go. The chef tried to use soy sauce to cover the pork gamey flavor, but failed. Soy sauce and sugar are not balanced. Too much soy sauce makes me impossible to eat it. I didn’t pay for it and cancel this order.
4. Thai style fish with rice noodles. It tastes similar to Tom Ka soup which is always too sour for me. The chef might just use the Tom Ku soup recipe to make it. The fish was well grilled, but the sauce downgraded its taste. You can find similar taste soup at $10.

I expected more for $120 per person meal. Some restaurants which costs from $10-70 per person have a much better taste.

2  Thank Ruixuan L
Reviewed 6 August 2018

We had the opportunity to sneak away for an evening during our family vacation and have a date night. I am so happy we chose Ulu Ocean Grill. Service was exemplar, the wine selection was excellent, and we had no complaints about any of the food items we purchased. There was a wonderful musician performing and beautiful views of the beach.