“A great base for exploring the Kona Coast!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Hale Kona Kai Condominiums
Olympia, Washington
“A great base for exploring the Kona Coast!”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Our family stayed at Hale Kona Kai for 5 nights and *loved* it. The location is very convenient, right in the heart of Kailua-Kona, but off of Alii Dr., so traffic noise is not an issue. It is a small complex situated right on the ocean, and all units have amazing views.

Our family stayed in unit 209, which we loved and would stay in again in a heartbeat. It was tastefully decorated, immaculately clean, no mold, moisture or bug issues. The king sized bed was very comfortable. The kitchen was clean and all appliances were in working order-- loved the dishwasher. My only wish is that the kitchen had been stocked with more basics besides salt and pepper-- perhaps some spices, sugar, vinegar, etc. Our unit was off to the side, so it did not have as much of a direct ocean view as the other units. It is a little farther back, facing the gardens of the Royal Kona Resort. We preferred having a nice, clean room with a great view as opposed to a rundown unit with amazing views. So check on the condo's website to look at all the rooms and see feedback. Choose a room with good recommendations. This unit also comes equipped with some snorkel gear, sand toys, and beach chairs-- and plenty of towels.

The complex itself is clean and well-run. The grounds are minimal but the pool is *very* nice. All shared areas (laundry room, corridors, office, pool area) are clean and well kept. This building seems to attract primarily (older) couples, and some families (like us), and as a result it is very quiet. We had no noise issues at all. The most noise we had was the sound of the sea, which we found very relaxing. The office staff are very helpful. Also, there is a small selection of DVDs, puzzles and games available to borrow.

We had a great stay at Hale Kona Kai and will definitely come back on our next visit to the Big Island!

Room Tip: Check reviews on Tripadvisor and the Condo's website to weed out bad units.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Folsom, California
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Let me tell you something, I am a tireless internet researcher when it comes to finding a place to stay for a vacation. I will exhaust every possible search function to find the best bang for my buck (VRBO.com, homeaway.com, local newspaper classifieds, Craigslist, traveler reviews, etc). My accommodation needs are generally as follows: oceanfront, updated unit/room, clean, convenience to town, quiet guests, and friendly staff. Every search I conducted for my first vacation to Hawaii back in 2007 lead me right back to HKK. So I booked it and I stayed there with a couple of friends. I am happy to say that my vigorous research paid off and I have been back to #404 almost every year since (2011 was the only year I did not make the trip).

This is truly my home away from home and I count the days until I can return to this wonderful place. I just got off the phone with the very kind and helpful, Adeline, to put in my deposit for my next stay with my sister this coming May. So excited!! Talking to Adeline is like catching up with an old friend, and I always look forward to the initial e-mail I send to her checking on when my favorite unit is available.

If you're reading this and are like me (go straight to the low-rated reviews first), please reconsider any doubts you might have because once you stand on the lanai of one of these units and watch the spinner dolphins splashing about out in front of you, or honu (sea turtles) bask in the sun on the lava rocks below or the groups of yellow tang moving gently beneath the surf, you will forget about any jaded comments critics may have left. In my opinion, those folks are generally unhappy and find problems with anything; they cannot find pleasure in the simple yet wonderful things offered at HKK. The view from the lanai is worth every penny! It is only a bonus that this place is walking distance to the village and provides all the other amenities important to me.

I write this review with great trepidation because #404 is like my secret fishing hole; however, I also wish HKK and Adeline great success and that outweighs my selfish needs. :-)

Mahalo!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank Sandi M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed in unit 411 at Hale Kona Kai for 10 days over the 2011 holiday season and absolutely loved it. The view of the ocean from the lanai is perhaps the condo's best feature. Unit 411 faces the side of the building so the view of the ocean is not as complete as it would be from one of the more expensive corner oceanfront units. It is still a great view though (see photos). We loved being able to fall asleep to, and wake up to, the sound of the crashing waves every day. We also loved watching spinner dolphins and schools of yellow tang fish while having breakfast in the morning.

We enjoyed exploring the tide pools in the rocks behind the condo building. We would see turtles, fish, sea cucumbers, crabs, etc.

Hale Kona Kai is just a very short (1-2 mins) walk from the center of Kona. There are two farmers markets nearby and just about anything you could want/need.

The condo is very well stocked. I have rented condos that were very sparsely stocked before. That was certainly not the case for unit #411. The kitchen had every implement you could ever need. There was a hair dryer, an iron, beach towels, a mask, snorkel and flippers, a beach chair, a cooler, and even a sun hat. There were two TVs and a DVD player. There was a CD player in the kitchen that unfortunately didn't seem to work. Overall, though, the condo had everything we could ever need.

I would highly recommend staying at Hale Kona Kai unit #411 if you are going to Kona and I would certainly stay there again if I returned.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelbunny_toronto
Lebanon, Oregon
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Triad Mgt staff great to work with....we also entered the room, went to the bedroom to unpack and was bowled over by the moldy/musty smell. They had the room closed up with the A/C on and it was definitely making it worse.... Housekeeping was called back in after inquiring about another room? money back? No, suck it up and make the best of it....housekeeping came back in to try and help us out - I noticed the wicker bedroom furniture was tinged orange in places M O L D....she re-cleaned, we bought Fabreeze, opened the windows, ran the fans and sprayed every time we entered or left the room. Never unpacked as that was where the smell was generating from - all else was clean....Can not recommend Hale Kona Kai for any reason but:
1. Great View of ocean and acitivities
2. Great pool area, very nice
3. Great location to Kona town
4. Parking stall once you find your # between 2 lots with no rhyme or reason.

This was our 9th trip to the Big Island, we own at the Bay Club in Waikoloa and we walked into our condo there after our 3 nights at Hale Kona Kai and went WOW - I guess this is a 5 star resort. Will still continue to explore new Hawaiian areas....but never return to #412 or some of the others from the reviews.....Aloha

Room Tip: Read more reviews and even if you see only 1 or 2 bad ones - keep looking....stay for short periods...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank R P
AlohaAdeline, Manager at Hale Kona Kai Condominiums, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Aloha,
First I want to share that there was NO MOLD in this condo. What was discovered was that the prior guests stored a wet straw beach mat in the dresser drawer. It was removed by the maids prior to the arrival of these guests and the drawer was cleaned. However the odor remained. We have since replaced the entire dresser and to make things match the entire bedroom set. We do toss all beach mats we find in the condos because they do give an odor if they are not dried prior to being brought into the condo, that is why we provide beach chairs.

I would also like to share that these guests were offered another condo, they did not want to change condos and they were offered a full refund if they wanted to change locations, which they declined. Never in a million years would we or have we ever implied suck it up! We were surprised to see this review from them because frankly they were very lovely and understanding and insisted that the location out weighed the initial issue. Maybe using this issue was a way advertise their condo on this forum.

The parking space issues are due to deeded spots and a map is sent to each guest prior to arrival, with only 3 dozen condos and 40 spots total they are not hard to find if you take the time to bring the map, if you do forget the map we post one on the board by the office.
Mahalo.
scottsdale
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Stayed here for a week in unit 407. Our unit has not been redone-it is pretty old school-but it was clean and decent. The kitchen was probably the worst of it-it had really el cheapo appliances and budget everything. The actual owners of this unit probably do not want to spend money on thier unit so when something breaks, they only authorize management to put in the cheapest possible fix. I saw some of the other upgraded units and they had spectacular appliances, granite counters, beautiful furniture...however, I knew this going into it, and was willing to pay less for a lesser unit. Just know that an extra 150-200 per week will get you a much more upgraded unit, if that is important to you.
The complex is spotless and the pool area and grounds are beautifully maintained. It is a smaller complex and I like that. The views are just amazing from every unit and the corner wrap around units have even better views.
The BBQ on grounds is absolutely miserable. When they redid this place they bought a cheap BBQ when they should have bought a quality commercial one. Hopefully, when I return, and I will, they will have replaced it.
Just a short walk and you are right in town where all the shops and restaurants are. I love how it is tucked back from Alii Drive so there is no noise from the road here.
Honestly, you can't go wrong here...even if your unit is not redone...but if you spring for one of the nicer ones, even better.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank shendrix
Mahalo for staying with us. Good news, when we remodeled the pool and patio area we bought in a new commercial BBQ for your use. In addition we added a nice bench to relax on while watching your fish cook, however since it is oceanfront be careful not to ignore your food while watching the sea. While 407 has not had a remodel I am glad you pointed out that it is clean and well maintained, since your visit we did replace the fridge.