We stayed on the "mountain" side, across a fairly busy street, from the lobby and ocean view condos. I had read the reviews and knew what we were in for, but we booked late and this was about all I could find. This is the only condo I've ever stayed in with my main goal being to get away from it! It wasn't just the condo itself it was the NOISE. We were told we had a King sized bed but got a queen; when I called I was brusquely told that's how they do it, basically you get what you get. I think that the people staying on the ocean side may have a drastically different vacation than we did on the "mountain" side. I say "mountain" in quotes because I did not see a mountain from our condo; I saw another condo building and parking lot. Our condo was somewhat dirty, the fabrics faded, only a couple towels, and i suspect that the blanket on our bed and the pillow shams had not been washed. No washer/dryer in our condo. The condo above us was privately owned, so when I finally called the front desk to say that the very loud "stomping" noises were becoming unbearable, the front desk was unable to do anything about it, suggesting we call security to deal with it. The front desk was never rude exactly, just not helpful. I bought my own cleaning supplies and cleaned the counters, etc myself. The bed wasn't great but it was okay. The towels dried each day and we were able to re-use them until we got two more at the 5 day point (we stayed 10 days); we were given one kitchen towel for 10 days. Walking across the street and sitting on the chaise lounges on the small beach by the ocean view condos was a highlight. The ocean view condos had bigger lanais (balconies); ours was tiny, only about 3 feet deep. One of the stove burners worked inconsistently and once the smoke alarm went off when we boiled water. The air conditioner was only in the living room and was extremely LOUD when on. I slept well at night and wasn't by bothered by street noises because we were a couple buildings back from the street. Alii Drive is a very busy street in which most of the Kona condos are located. We constantly heard truck back up beeping, bass from car radios during the day. In the condos we often heard a baby cry, and always the loud footsteps from upstairs.... a fluke? poor construction? all I know is that we seldom stayed in for meals. At 3:30am every morning VERY loud sprinklers went off outside our bedroom window. The pool is across the street by the lobby and is perhaps the least attractive pool I've yet to see. I had a great vacation but it was despite this condo. And, to make matters worse, the condo rate wasn't exactly cheap. If you can stay on the ocean side or plan to never stay in your condo and just need shelter, this may be the condo for you. I don't recommend it otherwise.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kona Bali Kai is a condominium resort located on the ocean's edge, displaying an uninterrupted vista of magnificent Kona sunsets. Choose from studios, one-, two-, and three-bedroom suites with full-kitchens, private lanai, and ocean or mountainside views. Amenities include a swimming pool, barbecue areas throughout the resort, and a laundry facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and Expedia so you can book your Castle Kona Bali Kai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kona Bali Kai Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Castle Kona Bali Kai Kailua
- Castle Kona Bali Kai Hotel
- Castle Kona Bali Kai Hawaii/Kailua-Kona