“Home away from home”
Review of Kona Tiki Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Tiki Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Melbourne, Australia
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My extended family filled 3 rooms from xmas-new year's and had an amazing time! We ate every meal by the pool and watched the sunset with cocktails in the same spot every night. Yes, our room was a bit noisy during the day as it was right next to the road but at night there were very few cars out and the sound of crashing waves made for deep sleep. Great place for a family reunion!!

Room Tip: third floor away from the road
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Barb W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My Partner and I spent two nights here and have to say how nice it was. The Managers Gary and Michelle (and Kevin) make the visit very personal. They are always just a few steps away and are absolutely pleasant helpful and are very nice people. The rooms are quaint and clean, right on the water and the waves are extraordinary at all times of the day. Having the kitchen and the fridge made our room excellent opportunity of dinner on the patio on the ocean! Nothing better, awesome views from the pool deck. Saw a pod of dolphins swim by during breakfast, can't be beat. Excellent open front walk to "downtown". Very nice place.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean front view and it is wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rori M
Varennes, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed there for three nights in August when we visited Big Island. What a value! I definitely recommend it!

LOCATION
Good location. It’s a bit off downtown Kona, but for us, it was perfect. Oceanfront, so that was pretty great.

ROOM
Very basic and a bit worn out, but clean. They would be due for a makeover :) The lanai overlooked the ocean. Bed was a bit hard for my liking, but that’s a very personal thing. Wifi was included. Common areas were gorgeous, with the oceanfront pool and breakfast area. Parking is scare (you'll appreciate having a small car), but we never had problems.

SERVICE
Great service! We checked in late and there was an envelope waiting for us with the key and all the explanations. Perfect! Then, we asked for recommendations for excursions and things we should not miss and they were very king and helpful. We definitely did not regret booking a manta ray night snorkel (awesome – experience of a lifetime!).

CLEANLINESS
Clean – no problem, though as I said earlier, rooms should be overhauled. But hey, we’re travelling to see Hawaii, not hotel rooms, right?

FOOD
Very good. I expected very little from the breakfast as the price was such a bargain, but was very pleasantly surprised. There were bagels (and toasters), jams, peanut butter, cream cheese and some hot pastries, plus exotic juices.

VALUE
Awesome value, I very much recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank sauerkraut80
Reviewed 18 December 2011

friendly service, clean, great view, ocean right outside your room, can hear the waves, breakfast outside on patio. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank donna6776
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 2 December 2011

If anyone has read my profile or other reviews I wrote, will know that I usually travel alone. I came to Hawaii searching for my favorite combination: volcanoes and surf. Big Island is a difficult place to travel alone especially if you are not willing to drive. However, Kona Tiki is perfectly located on a road where walking is easy and safe thanks to the jogging and bike lanes. Besides that, it is exactly in the middle of the areas I needed the most: in the direction of south I found the perfect point breaks; in the direction north I was only a short walk from all the shopping and restaurants I needed.
The building is super charming and all original as I heard from a lady who comes to Hawaii since years for her holidays and always stays at Kona Tiki.
Right after the amazing sunset you can hang by the pool, surrounded by torches for getting all that "tiki mood".

• Stayed November 2011