“Works for me”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Vancouver, Canada
“Works for me”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Friendly staff, Hawaiian-owned, good breakfasts, very clean rooms and right in the middle of town. Stay in the tower, 4th or 5th floor facing the water and it's all good. Free wireless in the lobby.

If you're looking for value stay here. If you're used to luxury, this won't work for you but if you don't care about that and you're looking for clean and decent, it's fine.
My stay was made even better by the front desk staff who were super nice.
Book online and get a better deal than in person.
Thank you Kona Seaside.
Back in rainy Vancouver, BC now.

Room Tip: Choose "the tower" 4th or 5th floor with a view of the water, not the side facing Pahala R...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Syowoe
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Korean first
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The Kona Seaside is a fabulous find in Kona should you wish to be near to just about everything. It is an easy walk to Kona Brewing Company, the beach-side shops and restaurants and both grocery and drug stores. The hotel is older and dated but the price is right and it is exceptionally clean. With two swimming pools, a neat garden space and hotel access to two great restaurants, this is a great place to stay for a visit to Kona. The rooms in the garden wing have recently been redone we were told, and the beds were new and extremely firm. Noise level is moderate as you are on a main intersection but the location and the service is great. If an upscale resort is what you are looking for, don't bother but if you want to have access to all Kona has to offer and not spend a fortune, call on Kona seaside.

Room Tip: The main part of the hotel has an elevator. Rooms in the garden wing require walking up stairs...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank camodoc9
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 21 March 2012

The service overall was good, but there were times when nobody was helping at the front desk and others when it took everyone at the front desk to help one person, leaving others waiting. I asked about bike rental and the young woman I asked didn't know, but others did know about activities in town, so it depends whom you ask when trying to find out what to do and where to go. Internet connection is awful, very slow, I had to use the lobby computers and they're limited to 15 minutes... you have to pay for internet in your room ($8.95), pay for parking ($5), but the pools were good. The bed was the worst, awful, bed springs creaking. But it was clean and friendly staff. I paid more to get a decent view, wasn't really worth $115 a night, but maybe $89. Oh, free breakfast at Tante's, the service varied everyday, one day I couldn't get the waitress to serve me so I left and the food (as with all the restaurants) varied as well, some days good, some bad. Go with this information and you'll be happy, wonderful island!

Room Tip: Get the garden view for quiet. The pool view may also be on the street side and louder.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Honolulu
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My husband and I and three children stayed at the seaside. We enjoyed a kitchen with a large refrigerator a full sink and stove. This service in the hotel was terriffic. We asked for rollaways and received them immediately. The room was clean and we had ample towels. There was also Internet access available. The Kona Seaside is close to shopping centers and the airport. We enjoyed our stay

• Stayed March 2012
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Kona Seaside Hotel for 3 nights while vacationing on the Big Island. It is close to the main airport and within walking distance of the beach, shopping, restaurants and Kona Brewing Company. We were in the main hotel building on the 4th floor. Our room was large with 2 double beds, a dresser, a desk and chair, a small balcony with 2 chairs, and a bathroom.

Let's begin by saying that these accommodations are older than what you will get with a Hilton or Marriott property. Our carpeting was a nice 1970's ocean blue shag; the beds were not meant to imitate boutique hotel comfort and the bathroom needed updating. But, this does NOT mean that the hotel isn't clean or well-kept. Quite the opposite. Our room was very clean, no signs of mildew in the bathroom despite the age, the entire property was well-maintained and our entire stay was very quiet, making for a good night's sleep. I have three complaints with the room: 1) The beds are uncomfortable. If you like a hard bed, then this is your place. I think Kona could do well to spend some money to update their beds and linens. 2) The towels are thin. Again, spend a little more to add a touch luxury. It's things like this that can make a spartan stay more special. 3) An iron was not provided in the room. To obtain one, you had to borrow it from the front desk during normal business hours. The front desk staff told us they had to start doing this because they had so many irons being stolen. I can't imagine anyone wanting to steal an iron and lug it around in their luggage, but I'm sure it happens.

I should mention that the hotel provides a shampoo/conditioner combo, lotion and soap. A hairdryer can be found in the dresser drawer of your room. Our room had a ceiling fan and a window a/c unit. The window unit paired with the fan provided adequate temperature control and the room cooled down quickly, even when we turned the a/c off because we would be gone all day. The a/c unit was a bit noisy, but both of us do OK with white noise.

We found the front desk staff to be very helpful and accommodating. No issues with rudeness or impoliteness as others have stated. Our modus operandi is to treat others with respect and be pleasant, even if you're not happy with something. You will typically receive respect and a pleasant attitude in return. The front desk staff always greeted us when we returned to the property and in the morning.

We purchased a breakfast plan which included free breakfast at Tante's every morning. This free breakfast is limited to coffee, tea or juice and your choice of 3 breakfast entrees, one continental and 2 that were heartier. I would have preferred more variety to choose from but, given the price we got for the room and the free breakfast, I wasn't going to complain because Kona Seaside was a bargain in Hawaii!

I did not know about the $5.00/night parking fee. I either missed that while perusing reviews and information or it is not clearly advertised. Again, you cannot beat $5.00/night but no one likes a surprise when it hits the pocketbook.

If you are planning to head to Volcanoes National Park and you do not want to do a lot of driving, you may want to stay in Hilo instead. Roundtrip was in the 4-5 hour range from Kona Seaside. When you've spent all day at the park, it can make for a very long and tiring drive home, probably in the rain and in the dark.

My husband and I agreed that we liked Kona Seaside and would certainly consider staying there again. You cannot beat the price and who cares if the room is decoratively challenged? As long as it's clean, comfortable (see my suggested improvements above) and quiet, who cares? You're on vacation not to spend time in the room but to get out and see the world!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple