All reviews aloha condos air conditioning ocean pool golf course ocean front the big island tennis courts the security guard living room grocery store small bay condo complex great condo keahou bay minute drive keahou shopping center longs drugs
Reviewed 26 January 2007

We got got back from a fabulous vacation in Big Island and Outrigger Kanaloa at Kona made this trip so pleasant for us!

Six of us (two elderly, two young kids and us) stayed in a 2bd 2ba suite (#603). For five nights we paid only $1200 because the fifth night was free. It is a fareway suite which means it is right on the golf course. THe suite is over 1000 sq ft, with a king size bed in the master bedroom and two twin beds in the 2nd bedroom. There were two large, covered lanais, one of which faces the golf course and has a huge table with six chairs (guess where we were having our dinners?). The master bathroom was huge with nice tiles and a walk-in shower which we love. The kitchen was also nicely tiled and has a breakfast bar. It has a rice cooker and many other handy kitchenwares. All we had to do was to get coolking oil, salt and food from Costco and we were in business!

The best things about this place was that it felt like home. There were over 20 books about Big Island, games for kids, beach towels, boogie boards, sand toys, .... you name it, right there in the closet for guests to use. My son goes right to the "Hawaiian Reef Fish" book after every snorkeling trip to find fish that he saw that day. My husband enjoyed reading about the history and language of the Hawaiian people.

The hotel is located 20 minutes from the Place of Refuge down south (which is a great snorkeling spot), 2 minutes from another great snorkeling bay (Kahalu'u beach park), and about 30-40 minutes from the more touristy Kohala up north (where expensive resorts stand between beautiful beachs and lava fields, no local homes to be seen). Right near the hotel is a quait little bay called Keauhou Bay. They have kayaks for rent there and we noticed msotly local people take their kids there to play. It is quite relaxing. We enjoy it there becuase we in general like local scenes more than touristy places.

The three swimming pools are relatively small and not like your big resort swimming pools. But my daughter enjoyed them very much.

The only draw back was that one of the five nights we were there, people started mowing the lawn on the golf course at 5:45 am, which bothered me a lot. I called the hotel and they said they have complained to the golf course (which is owned by a differnt company) but have no control over it. I decided that I would call the police if they do that again (wouldn't you?) but it never happened again.

Another drawback - central AC system costs additional $15 a day. We didn't need it when we were there though.

The owners of this unit kept a guest book in the suite and it was fun reading it. I really think the owners of this unit went out of their ways to make the guests feel welcome.

Date of stay: January 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank nzhang94404
Reviewed 24 January 2007

We just returned from our stay at Kanaloa, which was our 2nd stay there. Our 1st visit, back in 1997 was booked through Outrigger and our most recent was directly through the owner at the VRBO.com site. Both visits were really enjoyed by us. On this trip, our children had had a great time there, though much of our time was spent in other places of the island. We did spend some afternoon time at the pool and evening time at the lighted tennis courts. The grounds are well maintained and we slept with the sliding doors open so as to hear the sound of the ocean waves and get the breezes...noise was not a problem. The inlet right next to the condos were a perfect spot to watch surfers in the evening and look for sealife along the shoreline. I look forward to returning to the Big Island again and staying at Kanaloa at Kona a third time.

Date of stay: January 2007
3  Thank ChezTom
Reviewed 16 January 2007

We stayed 5 nights in this lovely condo it late December. As soon as we walked in, we felt right at home. The decor is really tasteful Hawaiian, and set the mood for our vacation. Rooms were spacious, with all the amenities you could think of. They even had coolers and sand chairs for those trips to the beach!
We rented directly from Aloha condos and would recommend them highly. We did pay extra for the air conditioning and were glad that we did. We probably didn't need it for all the nights but it was nice to have. I would rent this place again in a heartbeat!

Date of stay: December 2006
3  Thank HappytravelerNewYork
Reviewed 1 January 2007

I shared a spacious 2-bedroom/2-bath oceanfront condo in June with three friends. I picked the unit (2601) from AlohaCondos and it was just as pictured and described. The condo was quiet, clean, comfortable, and well-equipped. We even found a dry bag to use when we went kayaking. The master bedroom had a walk-in closet and a huge bathroom with a walk-in shower and a jacuzzi tub in a separate room. The second bedroom and bathroom were also roomy.

We loved eating breakfast on the lanai and planning our day while we watched outrigger canoes from nearby Keauhou Bay. The pool near the unit was beautiful and bordered a restaurant and a dramatic oceanfront walk on lava. The restaurant was closed, but was expected to open soon. Another pool, tennis courts, and an activity center are located in another part of the resort, which is surrounded by a golf course on the non-ocean side.

Kanaloa is located in a residential area, adjacent to a shopping center with a large grocery store, drug store, healthfood store, coffee shop, and restaurants. Access to highways is quick so you can easily set off on day trips to the town of Kona, beaches and historic sites up and down the coast, and coffee plantations on the upcountry hillsides.

Aloha Condos offers efficient and courteous reservations via e-mail, iniital access to the unit via a lockbox on the door, and personal service to take care of your needs. For example, when I left the recharger for my camera in the unit, the agent sent it to my home via FedEx without charge. My friends and I thought that the price for the condo was quite reasonable considering the quality of the accommodations and the service provided.

Date of stay: June 2006
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank LifelongTraveler
Reviewed 17 December 2006

A group of us just recently visited Kona and thru Expedia found a great package deal which included staying at the Kanaloa Kona. We had a two bedroom condo which was beautifully decorated and appeared to be recently remodeled (#304). While the condo was a golf course view, it was still a beautiful setting and found it to be quite relaxing.

Recommendations for improvement to the condo would be: better supplies (particularly in the kitchen) and two separate twin beds in the guest room (there is currently a trundle bed). While the condo was beautiful, it seemed lacking in general supplies/ammenties compared to a similar rental I used earlier this year in Kauai.

The pool by the water was great...just wish that was the adult pool as the running/yelling children could be a bit much. The grounds were beautiful and so well manicured. It was great just walking around the complex.

The location was great as well. I liked not being among the touristy areas in town and found the proxmity to the Fairwinds cruise and the Keahou shopping center excellent. It was also a short drive to Jamesons by the Sea...an incredible restaurant. It's a bit pricey but should not be missed. We sat right along the water and the food matched the excellence of the view! I should mention the staff at check-in was great at accommodating our requests and changes in reservation as we had realized many travel difficulties on our way to Hawaii.

I would absolutely recommend this property to anyone. While I did not visit the other Outrigger property, this seemed hands down to be the nicer of the two. I loved the Big Island and I loved Kanaloa at Kona. I can't wait to go back!

Date of stay: November 2006