“Great complex, okay condo”
Review of Kanaloa at Kona

Kanaloa at Kona
Reviewed 26 September 2006

We booked through Aloha Condos and stayed in number 2904 for eleven days earlier this month. Kanaloa is a beautiful complex, really well maintained, and we loved the oceanfront pool. The restaraunt there is open for lunch and dinner. We ate dinner there once and had a marginal tasting and very expensive meal (I had mac nut crusted mahi mahi that tasted remarkably like a McDonald's filet-o-fish).

Unit 2904 is on the second level, right on the water. The oceanfront lanai absolutely makes this place--we spent many happy hours with drinks in hand watching the boats go by and the waves roll in. The interior of the condo definitely needs updating, but was generally clean and comfortable and a good value for the price we paid. Also note, there is no air conditioning in this unit and it gets really stuffy in the afternoons and evenings, even with all the windows open and the ceiling fans on.

Overall, would definitely book with Aloha Condos again, and would stay at Kanaloa again, but probably not in 2904.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Frednzeke
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 September 2006

We have stayed here 3 times (1996, 1999, and 2006). It is peaceful, spacious, and beautiful. We rented through an agency on the internet, which is MUCH cheaper than going through Outrigger. Just google Kanaloa. The units are large and well furnished--1200 feet I read--huge compared to a hotel, and the kitchen is perfect for breakfast, lunch, and an occasional dinner. There are 3 pools.

The only downside is that not all units have airconditioning, and whatever price you are quoted will be $15 more if you do request airconditioning. You need it 25% of the time...decide if it is worth it.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank NancyOak
Reviewed 6 September 2006

The previous reviews about the lack of A/C are dead on. Fortunately I read them before checking in. Unfortunately I requested A/C in advance and still didn't get it! The front desk was ambivalent and unhelpful on the matter. "Too bad" was basically what I got in response. In addition the ceiling fan in the main room didn't work.

Beyond the lack of cooling, the rooms haven't been renovated in probably 25 years. They looked like something from the late 70's. Yes, the space the large, but was offset in my mind by the "Brady Bunch" decor.

There is a also a number of stray cats on the premises. I understand this problem isn't confined to this property, but it seemed worse here than anywhere else I went on the island.

Bottom line-- No way this should be the #1 rated hotel in Kona.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Ijustwannafly
Reviewed 25 August 2006

We stayed here Aug 16 through Aug 21 with another couple in the 2 bed, 2 bath Fairway view room. We booked through AA vacations and it was only $1800 per couple for air and hotel. We requested A/C and MAN, am I glad we did. The temperatures were close to 90 degrees every day and it was HOT in the condo. We are from Texas where it's 105 all the time and it was still swealtering in the condo with just fans and open windows. We got a unit with AC and they gave us a key to unlock the thermastat. We cranked it down and it was finally at a reasonable inside temp with 24 hours of turning it on. Definitely worth the extra money!

The unit was SO spacious. We had a nice large living room with a TV and DVD player. There was a full size fridge in the kitchen and all the appliances you could need in the kitchen. They had all the dishes, dish soap and kitchen towels.

The only downside was that 1 bedroom had 2 twin beds that the hotel came and 'made' into a king bed, so that we could have equal rooms. The master bathroom was fantastic. It has a HUGE closet and granite counters. The shower was enormous with dual shower heads for 2. All the rooms had fans and they also provided a standing fan. The master bedroom also had an extra balcony off of the room. We stayed in 1103. The main balcony had a table set and a lounge chair that looked onto the golf course. It had a wet bar and ice machine outside. It did not have the pool toys, beach equipment or beach towels like the privately owned ones, but we never needed any of that.

We ate at Edwards one night on our trip. Get there by 6 for the sunset view. The food is good, but a little overpriced. My husband got the prime rib and it was not seasoned at all, a little disappointing for $28. The shrimp scampi andmoonfish were good.

For souveniers, make a trip to ABC, their chocolate mac nuts are cheaper than even Walmarts prices.

If you go to Akaka Falls, stop and eat at Lisa's Pizza, it's the best little place on the Big Island!!! Worth the drive.

For snorkeling, check out Kamanu charters, there are just a few people per each trip, so you have a lot more room to spread out and enjoy your trip. The Body Glove looked so crowded I was glad not to be on that one.

Stay away from the breakfast Buffet at Uncle Billy's hotel, it was cold, over priced and sketchy. The birds and mongoose were all over it. It was a waste of money!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Tiffany_UTA
Reviewed 15 August 2006

My wife and I stayed here for three nights at the beginning of August. We booked through Pleasant Holidays. I reserved a one bedroom ocean view. I was upgraded, for reasons I'm unsure of, to a two bedroom-with- loft ocean view. I think with the tax that room is @ $300.00per. It had a jaccuzzi, a bar on the lanai, a two person shower and a bidet(whoa). The view was of a small swimable cove near the entrace to the complex. It was beautiful. I think it was room 3007, but I could be wrong. There are tennis courts, 3 pools(one oceanside and one adults only) and a restaurant that serves mediocre food at high prices-but has a sunset view worth every penny. The grounds were very nicely maintained. Everything was clean and inviting. I don't rate it excellent because of the "nitpicking" charges. $15.00 per day for airconditioning and an annoying 40 cents to make local calls.( I think the girl at the reception desk was embarassed to collect my $1.24 for three local calls, but she did.)

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple