“Roomy, comfortable, clean and beautiful right on the ocean”
Review of Kanaloa at Kona

Kanaloa at Kona
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We spent about a week in unit #2002 at Kanaloa at Kona and loved it. Perfect location and gorgeous setting. The condo is facing the water so you have an unobstructed view of the ocean and can sit out and watch the waves crash. The condo itself is very clean and roomy and comfortable. It had everything we could have needed for our stay. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kandis R

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Kanaola at Kona is an awesome property, but much depends on the particular unit where you stay. We rented Unit 3601 through www.AlohaCondos.com. On the AlohaCondos website, you can see the exact location, price, and availability of various privately-owned units at Kanaloa at Kona. You can see videos of the entire interior and exterior of the unit, as well as the unit's oceanview or golf course view. This is far preferable to renting from Outrigger, since Outrigger assigns you a unit and you do not know which unit you have been assigned until you arrive. If you view my attached photos of unit 3601, you will see how truly lovely it is. The owners lived there for years and upgraded it during that time. They have stocked the kitchen fully, and also have snorkeling gear, travel guides, and videos there for your use. My son took underwater photos of fish and other ocean life he saw while snorkeling and was so happy to be able to use a book from the owners' library to identify the names of the fish he had photographed. We were absolutely comfortable there and enjoyed the luxurious surroundings and unbeatable view. Kanaloa has two types of ocean views. One side has views of the ocean with no beach, just a narrow strip of black rock. Unit 3601 is on the bay side, which has water, trees, lots of green foliage, and a distant view of the Sheraton Hotel across the bay. In my opinion, the bay view has more variety and is lush, restful, and enchanting. It was a joy to wake up each morning and see that view. We enjoyed the condo so much we cooked and ate several meals there. My husband and I had a huge master bedroom with a walk-in closet and desk alcove, as well as a large bathroom. Our teenage son had his own separate bedroom and his own bathroom. We used the washer and dryer often to do our laundry. During this vacation, we stayed at nice places in Hilo, Volcano, Honolulu, and Oahu's North Shore, but Unit 3601 at Kanaloa at Kona was our favorite. Aloha Condos gave us great service and we will definitely use them again. They gave us a welcome basket full of fresh local fruits and jams from the farmer's market as well as a tote bag. I somehow managed to forget to pack the contents of one of the bedroom drawers when I left, thereby leaving behind a new underwater camera among other belongings. Aloha Condos was nice enough to mail our items to our home in California.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SKLN
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Nice location, beautifully decorated condo with enough room for our party of 5. Nearby Kona Country Club excellent value for golf. Only downside to this location is that is a bit outside of the town (shops, waterfront restaurants, etc) - perhaps 7 miles or so. Atmosphere of property is very laid back. Our flight arrived into Kona after 6pm and by the time we got to the property the registration desk was closed. We rang the bell and was given our condo key by the security guard. I think the travel time from the airport was about 30 minutes or so. A very easy drive.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This was my first visit to the big island and this property was wonderful! I had read the reviews prior to booking and there must be several who posted that have not visited Hawaii before as I saw complaints about lack of air conditioning and over grown foliage. In my 8 times visiting the islands I have never needed AC, and this property has very beautifully landscaped grounds. It is not a hotel but condos, which I prefer-who wants a housekeeper banging on your door at 8 am on your vacation-LOL! I rented an ocean front and if you are going to Hawaii spend the extra to do so-you will be glad you did. The condo was spotless clean, nicely furnished and very comfortable and quiet. The location is great-not downtown, but 10 minutes drive out and 25 to the airport. They have three pools-one for adults only which we appreciated. Very close to a variety of water sports and restaurants. The office is open from 8am-5pm daily and if you arrive late security checks you in. Not uncommon at condo properties and really not a problem. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We give two thumbs, way up!

Room Tip: 1902-2 bedroom, 2 bath oasis! Bottom floor(you will want that)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank halterp11
Reviewed 11 June 2012

While I enjoyed the resort, I would not stay again because of the noise problems. First off, two mornings in a row, maintenance started jack hammering at uneven walks. While I understand maintenance must be done sometime, each morning we were awoke by the stomping sounds from the upstairs unit. Simply inferior construction with no noise suppression.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple