“Professional, attentive and informative”
Review of Pedasi Sports Club

Pedasi Sports Club
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Went diving with the Pedasi Sports Club twice. Very professional staff, well organized - giving us a quick refresher in the hotels pool. The dive was from a small boat, modified to take tanks. Three out of the four dives were good- it's not Belize - but the visability is OK and managed to see plenty of things including turtles, eels, shark, lobster and plenty of reef fish. Frustrated that the singing whales and dolphins could not be seen!.

The last dive the current was a little to strong and visibility was poor. You get about an hour between dives - enough time to explore Isla Iguana (ca. 20 min walk) and relax on the white sand beach. They bring some refreshments - as nothing is available on the island. Remember to bring 10$ "park fee" if you want to use the beach.

If your in the area, its worth the effort to dive here.

2  Thank Peter S

Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I spent 2 days diving with them- to both Isla Iguana and Isla Frailes. Ruben was great and we really liked our dive master, James. Don't expect anything too fancy- the boat is just a normal fishing boat and not specially equipped for diving like in some places. But it was a very professional operation and I felt very comfortable diving with them. The visibility wasn't great but we still had fun and saw both white tipped sharks and a spotted eagle ray at Isla Frailes. Our divemaster was also very conscientious about picking up litter in the water, including empty beer bottles and fishing line/hooks left behind. I was also nervous to dive Isla Frailes since I thought it would beyond my experience level but the divemaster said he thought I could do it and he did a good job of making sure I was comfortable on that dive. And it turned out to be great!

My only very minor complaints were that we weren't really told what to look for before we got in the water and we didn't go over any of the signals for sea life or diving in general. I like when the divewater gives you a preview of what to look for underwater and also reminds you of the hand signals he uses since that sometimes varies from place to place. We also didn't realize that we'd be out in the boat until like 4 pm when we went to Isla Iguana. We were told there would be snacks but there was just one canister of potato chips and I was starving since we'd arrived at the dive shop around 9:15 but didn't get back on land to each lunch until basically dinner time! I also get a little nauseous from diving and I like to have a bit of light food. Some fruit would have been nice. You may want to bring your own snack. But really, those complaints are so minor and we were very happy overall with our experience. I highly recommend them for diving.

2  Thank Jem86
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We used the sports club for a trip to Isla Iguana for diving and snorkeling. The staff was great and worked well with us. Unfortaunately, the conditions didn't cooperate. Visibility was only about 10 feet and it was the strongest current I have felt. I think there is good potential, but our dive only lasted 20 minutes due to the current. The dive master was great working with my sister and her kids in tough conditions.

Ruben at the shop was very nice and gave us a discount since we only did one dive instead of 2. The The dive shop is nice but not as equipped as other places I have been. No dive computers,just depth gauges.

Another word of caution, this area has very large tidal swings. We were stuck on our surface interval waiting for the tide to come in. We also tried to snorkel and at low tide we got stuck on the coral. Be aware of the tides, it affects all water sports and trips to the beach.

2  Thank turtle722
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Even though our day with PSC started out a little rocky they really went the extra mile to make it up to us. Made reservations to go diving/snorkeling for 10:30, but when we arrived they had already left. My wife and I rented snorkle gear from them and headed out to the Playa Arenal to rent a boat to take us to Isla Iguana ($60). We figured we would make the best of it and just snorkle on our own. Very litte English at Arenal and the people there wanted to see our passports just to go to the island (didn't have them). The cop there just told us to go ahead. On the ride out we saw Manta's leaping out of the water which was very cool and a first for us to see. Once on Isla Iguana we went snorkling and saw a few fish along the rocks and out over the closest reef. When we came back in, we noticed Captain Bob from PSC and asked him about what had happened and why he had left without us. He apologized profusely. I think he just forgot he had made plans with us and got it confused with the two divers he had. Well Bob made it easy on me. Since he had extra tanks on board he offered to take me out to dive while the other divers rested on the island. Had a very nice little drift dive with Jorge. When we finished I asked Bob how much and he said it was on him given the confusion. Really can't ask more than that of someone. They even took our snorkle gear back to the shop for us. All in all, the only people to dive with!

2  Thank kkeesee