“Surprised at first, then realized it was a gem”
Review of Chief Motel

Chief Motel
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed at the Chief the last weekend in August with our two kids. When we pulled up, i thought my husband lost it again. I was wrong. The first impression of the motel was way off base. It ended up being a great inexpensive place to stay. It was CLEAN and the motel staff worked hard to make sure it was. The double room was nice; the kids we in one room and we were in another. The only downfall was that the AC was right next to the bed and if it wasn't turned up, the kids got warm in the other room. The use of the park pass was nice and we would totally recommend their breakfast and pie deals.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank MNTravelerMN
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed at Chief Motel for 3 nights. The motel seems very old but well maintained and very clean (at least for the things that visible to us). The staff (or the owners) were very friendly. You park right in front of the house and that save you a walk and hunting. If I go back to Custer, I will stay at the Chief again!

I have to give it a five stars. Sure, the motel is far from perfect and is showing its age, but the service, location and price make up the 5 starts rating. It met and exceed my expectation.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AndyHWC
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Friendly staff,
clean rooms
comfortable beds
We don't need anything more than that - and we got it all.
Had to pay a bit more than we're used to - due to Sturgis Bike week - but that's just bad luck for us.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I stayed here based on reviews from TA, and loved it! Since I am a fan of mom & pop type places, this was right up my alley. Super clean (the bathroom sparkled) rooms, friendly owners. My room had a nice quilt on the bed, and I asked about it. According to the owner, each bed in the motel has a nice quilt, each one different. They've also added nice touches by planting flowers in flower boxes in front of each room! Rooms have A/C, heat, a microwave, and fridge.

The motel has a large indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna--all well-kept and clean. There is a small sun deck, too, attached to the pool complex.

The location is excellent--I walked all over town while staying here. I traveled alone and felt completely safe at all times at this motel. Finally, the owner was accommodating when I had a change of plans and needed to push back my reservation by a day.

If you are into luxe properties or chain hotels, then this is not for you. However, if you are someone who likes to patronize local businesses, and enjoy a drive-up-to-the door motel with personal touches, this is just the place for you!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank jdstumble
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed at the Chief Motel for 4 nights at the end of July and we loved it!. Bruce & Nancy were great and very helpful. When we checked in Bruce showed us pictures of certain areas and we went to all the sights. The breakfast tickets you can get for $1.99 is a fabulous deal. Our room was perfect in size with a queen bed. Lots of places to put suitcases and hangup clothes. We did not use the huge seperate pool area, but we found it got plenty of use and wasgreat for all ages.

Room Tip: We found the motel to be very quiet even when travelers were coming and going.