“Best in this category!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Miami
“Best in this category!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Completely renewed, friendly staff willing to help and perfect location, walking distance to French Quarter.

Room Tip: Our room was to the street and still very quiet. The pillows are smaller than the standard size.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
griffin, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

This is a follow up from my previous review posted on December 15th of the Hotel New Orleans Convention Center titled "Loud Construction".

Thank goodness I had a wonderful experience this time around! Hotel New Orleans Convention Center has been transformed into the beautiful Hyatt Place. I was on the top floor (room 815). My room had two queen beds and down feather pillows that were very comfortable. There was a nice desk and also a couch with a rolling ottoman. In addition, there was a large wall mounted TV that you could position to face the couch or the bed. The two sets of large windows were fantastic. There was also a clothes closet with a safe. The bathroom was also very nice. It was very clean and modern.

There was absolutely no construction since the hotel was done with renovations - yay! Breakfast was fantastic! It's on the third floor, complimentary, and is available until 9am. My favorite thing was the delicious skillet english muffin half with egg, cheese, and tomato. They also had toast, yogurts, french toast, bagels, fruit, waffles, pastries, cereals, donuts, lots of juices, and coffee. The staff were also very friendly and professional. I didn't see any of the same staff from my last stay so it appears they have brought in new people.

I called to get the phone number to do a swamp tour and the front desk offered to set it up for me and delivered the confirmation to my room so that was nice (do the Cajun Encounters one if you go - it was $49 which included hotel pickup and drop off - totally awesome). Also, when I left my room the second day and came back that night all my clothes I had left on the bed were neatly folded - how nice! To say I was pleased this time around is an understatement. Thanks to Tony Welch and his staff for making my experience this time around so enjoyable!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelManager70130, General Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a posting of your recent stay at our hotel. Our team appreciated the opportunity to address your concerns of the previous stay and provide you with a new experience.

Again, thank you for taking time to respond and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 504-571-7710.

Tony Welch
Hyatt Place New Orleans - Convention Center
TLH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Great place, especially after renovation. Clean rooms and fresh linen. Loved the seating area, the office desk and the small apartment feel. I was there for a conference and its very conveniently located. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Great breakfast, especially loved the carryout breakfast feature. Felt at home and will come back again...

Room Tip: First floor rooms in the corner are the best, especially with the big windows.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I recently stayed at the new Hyatt Place New Orleans Convention Center last week. My husband, two kids, and I were in town visiting family from April 6th - April 9th (Easter weekend). When traveling on business for my job, I usually book a room at the Hyatt Place whenever I can find one because I love this hotel chain. When my family and I decided to travel for leisure, I booked the Hyatt Place because I knew they would enjoy their stay as much as I did. In times past, I have received nothing less than exceptional service and clean rooms which is what I have come to expect from the Hyatt Place brand.

During my stay at the New Orleans Convention Center location, I was sorely disappointed. I just knew the stay there would be a good one because this location is also a newly renovated one. Before its renovation, it was called The Hotel New Orleans and was converted to a Hyatt Place just last month. I was excited to stay there with my family. I am disappointed to say that the stay there was horrible. We were booked into room 515 which is an ADA room with 2 queen beds and tub/shower combo. Due to a late booking, this was the only room available that could accommodate my family of four.

Upon settling into the room, we noticed that the ice bucket and glasses were extremely dirty. We held up both glasses to the light and noticed they were awfully stained and the ice bucket was dirty. It actually looked like those glasses were used and never cleaned by the staff. It's a good thing I travel with plastic cups for my kids. I told the kids not to touch them and gave them the disposable plastic cups that I brought. Later, when we returned from our day out I decided to take a shower and noticed that there was a big gaping hole in the tub. I think they were maybe fixing on the drain stopper or whatever and left the hole uncovered. The metal cover was off and sitting on the side of the tub. I'm standing there thinking "wow, ok" .

Next morning we rise early for our day out and decided to try the free breakfast. In my past experiences at other Hyatt Place locations, the breakfast is always GREAT! So we go down there to eat and there are lots of people and hardly any food replenished at the stations. I asked my husband to get our plates and I went to secure a table for the four of us. I kid you not that all of the free tables had dirty dishes on them. I had to clear the dishes myself. I'm on vacation but I'm suddenly feeling like I'm back at home :-(. I told my husband to forget the plates and we left the hotel to have breakfast elsewhere. Some place nicer, cleaner, and which actually had FOOD!

Finally, we return to our hotel Saturday night and discover that our room had not been cleaned by housekeeping. By this time, I was not a happy camper. I went downstairs to talk with the night manager at the front desk. I tell her the problem and she apologizes and tells me that she will have some fresh towels sent up to our room. I asked her if she knew why it had not been cleaned all day and she did not know why specifically. All she said was that they had been having some problems with the housekeeping staff. She took my name, room number and wrote a report stating that she will make sure that our room is cleaned THE NEXT DAY and apologized again.

The next night was no different. We came back from an evening out to find that our room was not cleaned a second night in a row. REDICULOUS! So I go back downstairs to talk to the manager on duty (Adam) and try to hold my anger. I told him that our room had not been cleaned again and he apologized. I asked him why wasn't the room cleaned as promised and he did not have a definite answer. He stated that it was either a lazy housekeeping staff or a possibility of a computer glitch which did not list my room on the printout that is given to the housekeeping staff for cleaning. I proceeded to tell him how frustrated I was. He apologized again and offered me half off one night's stay for my inconvenience. I didn't tell him about the rest of the problems with the room since the housekeeping problem was major to me. He asked me what I needed and I told him that we needed fresh towels in which to bathe. Later, he personally brought the towels to our room and my husband spoke with him. We invited him in and showed him the nasty drinking glasses and trash running over. What my husband forgot to show the manager was the nasty grout in the tub/shower area, the gaping hole in the tub, and the nasty frig that looked as if someone had spilled something on top of it. My husband told him that this was unacceptable. The manager agreed, apologized and told my husband that he would give us credit for half a day's stay each night that the rooms were not cleaned. We were good with this. We took the towels, bathed, and went to sleep.

The next morning (Monday, April 9th) was checkout day. I packed the kids in the car and told my husband to go directly to the counter to check out and be sure that they give us the credit that they promised. Well, good thing he did because the lady at the counter was unaware of any credit to be given to us. My husband told her that Adam, the night manager, had promised us credit for half of two nights for our inconveniences. She looked skeptical at my husband and said "Adam said this?" My husband said "YES! ADAM SAID IT"... as if we were telling a fib. They gave him the credit anyway without argument. Five minutes later, we drove back to our home in Fort Worth, albiet with a bad taste in our mouths for Hyatt.

Room Tip: Breakfast starts at 7am. If you want to get any food, you'd better get there at 7 on the dot...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NOviaFw
Thank you about your comments regarding your stay at the Hyatt Place – New Orleans Convention Center. We welcome and appreciate our guests’ comments as this is the best way for us to continue to improve our operation.

I apologize that your stay with us was less than you expected, and can assure you this is not the goal. I was disappointed to read about your experience around the quality of your room and lack of daily room service. Your comments are reviewed with the entire team so we can address our guests concerns and improve our services in the future.

Thank you for this valuable feedback. Our team welcomes the opportunity to show that we can do better. If you have other comments or would like to discuss, please feel free to email me at tony.welch@hyatt.com or contact me directly at 504-524-1881.

Tony Welch
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My family and I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel New Orleans in mid March of 2012 . Spacious rooms, wonderfully comfortable beds and centrally located to everything downtown. The staff was courtious and helpful. The ongoing construction at the time was barely audible. I would stay there again anytime.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family