“I was a bit concerned, but then pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Ranked #78 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersGold level
Florida Keys
“I was a bit concerned, but then pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I had read other reviews that mentioned bed bugs, bad service and what not, so I was a bit concerned when I arrived. I was greeted promptly by the front desk and checked in with little or no wait. The room I got was a very nice room, but one floor above the train tracks, and also with a connecting door. I remembered staying here years ago and hearing the horn from the train many times during the night, so I went back to the front desk and ask to be moved and was accommodated very quickly and very nicely with no problems at all.

The room was very clean and there were no bed bugs thankfully. It wasn't a super large room, but I didn't find it small either. I can't vouch for housekeeping, since I prefer not to have housekeeping in and out of my room and I figured if I can keep my home clean, I should be able to manage keeping a small room clean for 4 days. I can make my own bed and wipe down my own bathroom counter.

The location is good. Walking distance to the convention center, French Quarter, Harrah's, Riverside, etc. Plenty of good restaurants in the immediate area as well.

I'll agree that I was not impressed with Drago's at all. But then maybe that is what i get for having chicken in a decidedly seafood restaurant. It was passable, but not enjoyable.

William at the lobby bar is probably one of the nicest and most professional bartenders I have ever encountered. I looked forward to seeing him each night after a busy day of meetings. It is staff people like him that will keep customers coming back.

Overall, I stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the train and trolley sounds ask for a room on a higher floor. It won't eli...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for the very nice review and we certainly enjoyed having you here with us. Bed Bugs are and have been a recent problem throughout most of North America's major cities and we can assure you that Hilton Worldwide takes every step possible to keep our hotels free of these pests . Here at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside we take these reportings very seriously. We have a certified on property pest control team who works under the supervision of a nationally accredited Pest Control Company to ensure that our guests are safe from these pests. Once we recieve a reporting, our team isolates the area and completes an investiagtion. The room does not come back for resale until the room is cleared in writing by both entities. Fortunately most reportings have been negative.

There are many fun activities scheduled here in New Orleans later this year and we hope you can find some well deserved R&R time to return and celebrates these events with us. Our Concierge and Reservations teams will be happy to assist you in customizing your next stay.

Hilton New Orleans Riverside
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I was here for a conference. When I arrived which was after normal check in time, my room wasn't ready, they said it should be ready in an hour and they would call my cell when it was. I had meetings to attend, so I didn't get too excited about it. However, more than an hour passed and no call. Finally, I went back to the desk to check on things and it was ready, but no explanation for lack of a call. Started things off a bit disappointing.

My room was clean, which was good in light of my long travel day and late check in. As I was getting settled, I heard a train whistle, so I looked out to see how close I was to railroad tracks. They were right below, so I was preparing for an unrestful stay. However, I did enjoy the view of the river! By the way, I never did hear the train again during the rest of my stay, which was nice.

I liked that there is a mall attached to the hotel. It allowed me a chance to walk around without going outside, since the weather was not great during portions of my stay.

Overall, hotel was fine. Aside from lack of service at check in, I found staff to be very pleasant. When passing them in the hallways, they offered pleasant greetings. Food for conference meals was good. Was disappointed that you have to pay for fitness facility, but I was able to run outside one day to make up for that. Enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully you did have an opportunity to visit our Health Club by Hilton . We are very proud of our 90,000sq ft facility and the many fitness venues we can offer our guests. From the information provided I can not tell if your are a Hilton HHonors member or not however Health Club access is complimentary to all HHonors Diamond, Gold and Silver members. As a fitness enthusiast I reccomend that you join our HHonors program if you are not already a member and enjoy the many Health Club by Hilton's located in our larger properties Worldwide. We certainly enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again whenever your travels bring you back to New Orleans .

Hilton New Orleans Riverisde
Tampa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed this past weekend for business. Room was not ready by 3:00 pm check in time, but front desk did comp us for breakfast to make up for late check in. We decided to check out Drago's Seafood Restaurant while waiting. This was a big mistake and disappointment. The charbroiled oysters were small to say the least, around the size of marble. My hubby ordered the seafood combo platter, I chose the shrimp pasta. The food had to be taken back a total of three times; as it was cold, bland, and tasteless. At this point the manager came by to apologize but our meal was ruined and not worth the $100+ bill. Do yourself a favor and visit Crazy Lobster or Deanies for great oysters, and fresh, hot delicious food. The hotel was somewhat dated. Beware of the king room with an adjourning door. We could hear everything from our neighbor including his phone conversation and bathroom visits. On the plus side the staff was nice and the food at LeCroissant was great.

1 Thank ElaineTampa
Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans destination. We certainly enjoyed having you here and we look forward to seeing you again whenever your travels bring you back to New Orleans. Our apologies for the poor service in Drago's. I am happy to see that the Manager did address the issues for you. We will have our rooms renovation project completed by late summer and noise issues from connecting doors is one item that is being addressed. Hopefully you can find some free time later this year to return and enjoy the new product that we are offering our guests.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed in the Hilton Riverside 2 nights and I recommend it. It's close enough to walk to the French Quarter, and a safe walk. The hotel is clean and quiet, and my room was updated, clean and nicely furnished. I'd stay there over a noisier hotel in the French Quarter, if given the choice, every time. Only complaints are that the hotel restaurants aren't open late, and neither was room service. Also, the front desk staff just wasn't very pleasant or efficient at check in or check out. Still a nice hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank RoxxinTampa
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for choosing us as your New Orleans destination. We certainly enjoyed having you here and we look forward to seeing you again whenever your travels bring you back to the city. We will share your comments with the Front Desk team and our apologies for any of our team members who were unprofessional with you. Lots of fun events planned later this year in New Orleans and we hope you can find time to come back and enjoy them with us. If we can assist you in customizing a future stay with us, please do not heitate to call upon us.

Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Pro's: Great location; comfortable rooms; ample convention/event space; adjacent to Riverwalk Mall, casino, and convention center. Not in the French Quarter, but close enough.
Con's: So-so service; almost $50 per day to park; $250+ per night; outrageous food and bar prices ($7 for a bud light at the bar, and $100 for breakfast for four); no free internet service.
If you want to be close the FQ, Casino, Aquarium, and Convention Center, shop around. There ARE other options that are very close by that will not cost you an arm and a leg. This property leads one to believe that they are the ONLY hotel suited to conventioneers, and this is simply not true.
Oh, and I almost forgot... the walls are rather thin and don't seem to have much sound insulation. I could easily hear the couple next to me; their "session" was not really that loud, but it souned as though the pass-through door was open. Fortunately for me - and perhaps not so for one of them - it was a rather brief event and I never really lost much sleep. Kind of like being back in the frat house in school, no?

Room Tip: If you want a river view, stay above the sixth or seventh floor so that the trolley does not bother...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans destination. Our apologies for the challenges that you encountered and any misinformation we may have conveyed to you. Unfortunately I do not have any specifics on your reservation however it sounds as though you were here for a conference. Our fees for ancillary services are comparable to other convention proeprties both locally and nationally. Our team does bi annual surveys both locally and nationally to ensure that we are extending fair market prices for our products and services. I am happy to report that later this summer we will have our rooms renovation project completed in our main tower and between room noise is a priority. As with other convention hotels we do offer complimentary HSIA is our public space and Coffee Shop areas. We certainly enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again whenever your travels bring you back to New Orleans.