“AROUND SEPT 2017--HALT! STOP! DO NOT BOOK! SIGNIFICANT CONSTRUCTION!”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #28 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 30 September 2017

Okay, for the record, it is September 30, 2017 - the day I checked in to Royal Sonesta New Orleans. I was so looking forward to this visit. First time in New Orleans and researched the hotels. I wanted a quality hotel that was in the center of the French Quarter, with easy access to the heart of New Orleans. On the website, you see the Royal Sonesta with lights light up and "DESIRE" in bright lights.

I took a taxi to the hotel, and the view was NOTHING like the website. Bourbon Street, where the main entrance to the hotel is located, is completely demolished. And, when I say, completely demolished, I mean completely. There are construction crews. The street is being dug up completely. I have never seen the likes where the road is torn up and the men at work are waist deep below the road surface and all you see are large pieces of rubble. Think post-apocalyptic! Drills, heavy machinery, large dumpsters, dust, debris, and bad smells will greet you. Half of the hotel has a material covering the Bourbon side of the hotel, which I suspect is an attempt to keep the dust from reaching the hotel.

After asking about this, someone told me that funds to repair damage from Hurricane Katrina was finally being put to work and that there was an effort to repair damage before the 300 year celebration for New Orleans in 2018. I have no idea if this is true.

If you are looking at the pictures on the website of the hotel, and you are looking to be in the center of things, just know that this is likely not what you wanted to sign up for. On a separate note, I also requested a room upgrade to a balcony view overlooking Bourbon St. Seriously? Why is this view still listed as an upgrade? They were able to move me to a pool view - with limited pool visibility.

Parenthetically, they said that they sent me email notices that the hotel was surrounded by construction, but I never received this notice. Upon running a search, this is what was sent to me....

"Dear [Guest],

Royal Sonesta New Orleans is more than a place to stay. Staying here is truly an experience unlike any other providing unexpected amazing moments.

We are excited for your upcoming stay and hope you will enjoy our newly reimagined guest rooms. Upon entrance to the hotel, you will find that while it maintains the same grandeur as before, the hotel is now adorned throughout with elegant furnishings, warm colors and delightful artwork. In addition to new guest rooms, this significant renovation included a new fitness center, Grand Ballroom and redesigned Desire Oyster Bar all to enhance your guest experience.

Please take a moment to review the details of your reservation, noted below. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-504- 586-0300.

Safe Travels,

Alfred Groos
General Manager"

Really misleading. On the website there is NO mention of the construction. There should be a prominent mention on the site!

I really feel sorry for the wedding party that was scheduled. They'll hear drills and construction behind the sounds of the ceremony. I wonder if their notice of the construction was somehow not delivered......

Room Tip: Pool view moves you away from the construction on Bourbon St.
Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Monica T
Hotel_Mgr_365, General Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear Monica,

Thank you for visiting us and taking the time to share your valuable feedback. While the city’s street improvement project is beyond our control, we have been doing our best to keep our guests informed, and we regret that you didn’t receive notification of the construction taking place. Fortunately, we’ve found that many of our guests, especially those in our pool and courtyard-facing rooms, have enjoyed their time with us and were not impacted by the project, and we’re sorry to note that this was not your experience. We hope that the remainder of your stay was an improvement upon your first impression and that you were able to make many wonderful memories here in New Orleans.

Alfred L. Groos

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

we came into town for a weekend downtown and this was our first time staying at the R.S. The Hotel was stunning and the staff (starting from the gentleman outside parking our car to our wonderful Ms. Annie @ the front desk who goes above & beyond to make your stay spectacular, our experience was great! Breakfast at Desire also was superb! I had the eggs benedict......fantastic! Julie & Dave

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Hotel_Mgr_365, General Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Dear Julie & Dave,

We love impressing our guests and were thrilled to receive your wonderful review! Thank you for letting us know how much you appreciated the hospitality of our friendly team members and the delicious breakfast offerings in Desire. We can’t wait to welcome back on your next trip to the fabulous French Quarter!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 28 September 2017

Very disappointed with this hotel and will think twice of coming back. I have been to 100 of hotels and I understand they have conference rooms for special events and I respect that. Every company or group wants to have their own space for their venue. I am very disconcerted that they will rent out common areas like the beautiful garden in the main floor or lobby during a busy time when "all" their guests want to be outside enjoying the property. What makes it even worse is that I was already sitting outside enjoying my cappuccino bought at the hotel cafe when the hotel "police and management" comes down to tell me that I have to get out of this common area that I am already accustomed to visit. This was very rude to make a hotel guest feel like he's breaking the law in being there. I am not in their conference room or event I am just outside enjoying a coffee like I do every day. Another guest that was there was also complaining about this and we felt this was outright rude. Not acceptable. Very discomforting not customer focused and oriented. Rent out your conference rooms and buffet rooms not your common areas. I understand New Orleans real estate is expensive and very limited but you have to think on what your guest feel when they are approached by a security guard to tell them they have to move out in front of everybody. No disrespect intended but as a guest I didn't like the treatment. I would have rather have the door locked so I wouldn't have gone outside.

Room Tip: Get one with a view to Conti St or Bourbon St.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pedro S

Dear Pedro,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope you enjoyed our location and comfortable accommodations. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the incident you experienced and share your perspective. We understand that you were enjoying your coffee in the courtyard, and we apologize for interrupting your relaxation. We certainly didn’t mean to upset you or any of our other guests. In the future, we will ensure that there is signage informing our guests of any scheduled private events, and we’ll ask our team members to suggest alternate locations within the hotel where our visitors may want to relax. We think you’ll like the space near our pool, and we hope you’ll come see us again soon and let you know what you think. Once more, we're terribly sorry for this inconvenience. Know that you are always welcome here.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

this is the 2nd time we stay at the Sonesta in New Orleans. The staff is beyond amazing and always go the extra mile. We travel with our small dogs (2) and the staff couldn't be any nicer to them. We will only stay in the Sonesta.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Dear Rey,

It’s always a treat to welcome our return visitors, and we’re thrilled that our team members continue to impress you with their warm hospitality. We hope you’re a Travel Pass member so that you can earn rewards on every stay, and have the perfect excuse to bring your babies back to see us again soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

We did an enormous amount of research before landing on the Royal Sonesta for our stay - we wanted to be right in the action but not with too much noise at night. The hotel got that part right. Other than that it’s just basic and not great value. We stayed in a balcony room overlooking the pool/garden, unfortunately it was tiny (room 4703 - maybe we drew the unlucky straw). The rooms contain no items in the mini bar, even soft drink and the amenities are probably the most understated I’ve experienced - getting a bar of soap was tough. Interaction with staff is essentially nil. The hotel is fairly clean, the food in the restaurant was good but the biggest and most annoying thing for me was that there are extensive roadworks going on right on the front door step and the hotel never notified us. Whilst it’s not in their control what is is charging 100% when the offer isn’t 100%; had I been informed I would have stayed at any of the many other hotels in the neighbourhood block. If you’re considering staying in the next few weeks be warned, it’s annoying and very very noisy from 7.00am.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank charlibucket

Dear Charli,

We’re glad that you appreciated the tranquil oasis we provide in the heart of the French Quarter, and we regret falling short of impressing you with other aspects of your stay. Our guests often rave about the warm hospitality of our team members and we’re sorry if we failed to connect with you during your time here. We understand that the city’s improvement project on Bourbon Street isn’t ideal, and we’ve done our best to notify our guests about this project prior to their arrival. Regrettably, in cases that reservations were made through online travel agencies, we are not provided with contact information for our visitors and we’re sorry we were unable to contact you. We hope you’ll come see us again one day for the true Royal Sonesta New Orleans experience.

Kind regards,