4,907 results
All reviews r club jazz club bourbon street desire oyster bar desire restaurant french quarter balcony room pj's coffee beautiful hotel oysters people watching club level third floor mardi gras street noise the location is perfect jackson square
Reviewed 19 October 2007

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta this month because a conference I was attending was held there.

I wouldn't consider this the best hotel in town but it's on Bourbon Street--I need to give it credit for that. My room (3rd floor) wasn't facing Bourbon (thank goodness!) but my bosses room (5th floor) was. My room faced the opposite side so my room was protected from the street noise but it had a view of run down buildings, which didn't bother me since I hardly looked out the window. My boss said that she can hear noises from the street below up till 4am even though she said that her window seem to have extra glass to keep out the noise. She said there was a constant "buzzing noise". So, if you happen to be staying at the RS, request a room that isn't facing Bourbon. You'll thank me later.

The room felt a bit outdated and the "art" and tapestry confirmed this. The bathroom is clean although the toilet paper dispenser kept falling off if I tugged on the paper a bit too hard. There wasn't a fan in my bathroom. There's a digital safe that I didn't use and a fridge that I couldn't figure out how to open even though I pulled on it every which way. There's limited cable of course.

There's high speed internet in the room (ethernet wire) but you have to pay and there's several plans to choose from, but keep in mind that no matter which day you choose to end internet connection, the expiration date is at noon on that day.

All the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful, and checking in and out were painless. There's an ATM machine, gift shop, and restaurants on the premise. There's a parking lot below the hotel but you have pay (I believe $15/day.) The pool and fitness center is on the third floor. It's walking distance to many restaurants, shops, downtown, and Cafe du Monde.

If you want to stay in the French Quarter, this is the hotel for you. But, there are other high end hotels that are walking distance to the FQ too if this isn't your cup of tea.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank cooknsew105
Reviewed 25 September 2007

If you want to experience New Orleans and find it in your heart to show you care and want to help....expect the few things like constructions and no valet for now, because folks were displaced and lost alot...but still want to share their city to all who visit. This hotel was so accomadating, and friendly ,that I almost forgot how hard I was going to be about this review after reading afew that were not so nice. Much to my suprise, it was great and well located. We went to several places in th garden area and found neat places to eat along Magazine St.

will be back again to enjoy more of what this City has provided all these decades.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. It being my first time in New Orleans, and wanting to splurge a bit, I reserved a split level suite. I arrived at the hotel early, around 10AM, and my room was already available, which was great. The front desk clerk was so nice and check in was quick and pleasant. The suite, though, was pretty depressing. It was just too old and worn...the carpet was absolutely disgusting and thread bare in places. I went back to the front desk and explained I was not happy with the room. (I travel extensively and have stayed in so many hotels and inns the world over. In no way was the room I was given remotely worth the $450 or so per night.) I asked to be downgraded to a basic double room with french doors overlooking the pool. This room was less than half the price and I was much happier with it. The carpet was still the old and dirty looking, but the rest of the room was pleasant and the view of the pool deck was lovely. The room was very clean and the beds were comfy. Maid service was excellent. Plenty of fresh towels. It was good value for the money and a quiet, serene spot right in the middle of the French Quarter. The most outstanding quality of this hotel is the employees. Each and every person I came into contact with was the nicest they could be. This is one of the reasons I ended up giving this hotel four stars. That along with the location and the fabulous Sunday brunch. Although I will now be traveling to New Orleans quite often, as my daughter will be attending college there for the next four years, I probably won't stay here again as I like the extra room a suite provides. I am willing to pay more for this, but I expect the accomodation to be worth the money. On the other hand, the basic pool view room was alot less expensive and is a great value for the location, the wonderful pool area, and the nicest empolyees i have ever come across in a hotel. One final thought, they do not have the flat screen tv's the website advertises. I asked about this and was told a few of the rooms have them, but most do not.

1  Thank raymonk
Reviewed 21 September 2007

Other than the fire alarm going off at 330 AM on Saturday (UGH!), our entire expereince the Royal Sonesta was terrific. Our room was on the 4th floor, facing the pool. I loved how we could go right out the balcony door and down to the pool bar.

The room itself was clean and comfortable- great king bed. Good size bathrrom- nothing fancy but pleasant.

Check-in was incredibly smooth despite how busy they were. And check out was even better since they kept our bags while we went out for lunch, then brought the bags down to the car.

I would like to give special kudos to parking. Yes, I know $30 valet seems crazy but that is the way it is in big cities. We stayed at the Monteleone last year and, as much as I love that hotel, the RS has them beat hands down on the ease of dropping off and picking up the car. Very easy, very pleasant, very organized.

Reviewed 11 September 2007

From the moment we checked into this hotel, we were treated like special guests. We arrived earlier than check-in - around 11:30 a.m. Our rooms were ready. We asked to have our rooms close to each other and it was no problem. The only complaint I had I about the room itself was that the shower was only so-so. But the location was excellent.

Another review mentioned Malcolm and he is wonderful. This is also one of the few hotels that I saw cabs lined up at - so if you wanted to travel out of the quarter you very easily could.

On the second day, a group of young highschoolers moved onto our hall and proceeded to spend the day and night (at least when we were there) running around, screaming and slamming doors. We spoke to Darin at the front desk and asked if we could move to possibly a balcony room (fingers were crossed!!!) We were moved into a parlor suite with a balcony on the 3rd floor overlooking Bourbon St! A parlor suite does not have a bed, but it has a pull out sofa bed, and then they come in and make for you with a real mattress and turn down service. There is also a wet bar and tile throughout. They are twice as big as the regular rooms. It was amazing!!!!

We called down to roomservice for some plastic cups as you can't take glass or cans on the balconies, and they brought us up a sleeve free of charge! And anytime we called housekeeping they came right away.

Check out was a breeze. They also checked our baggage for us while we wandered around the quarter, waiting for our flight. We were handed into our cab on Sunday evening with the same friendly smiles that greeted us on Thursday, bidding us to come visit them again!

I will definitely stay at the Royal Sonesta again. I would recommend it to anyone. I will say this - hotel staff are not psychic. If you feel you need something fixed, be specific. Ask for what you want. Chances are you will get it. I found that especially at the Royal Sonesta that they will do what they can to make things right.

Definitely ask Malcolm if you have any questions about the city. The concierge desk is amazingly helpful and patient too. I just can't say enough nice things!!!!

2  Thank Nicksboo