“Only thing good about this place was the location”
Review of The Pelham

The Pelham
Ranked #87 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Saratoga, NY
“Only thing good about this place was the location”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

They advertise this hotel as being "This historic landmark hotel offers 60 uniquely appointed guestrooms featuring grand 18 foot ceilings, original old brick walls, crown molding and 10 feet tall windows". So that was my expectation. I arrived later in the evening in the pouring rain. No valet parking, you have to park the car near the hotel out front, then the "valet" will go get it at some point and move it. There is no one on staff to greet you outside.

When I entered the building, the gentleman barely looked up at me. When I asked about the valet, he said "pffffhhhh we don't have no valet, just leave the car, someone will get it tomorrow". I was tired from traveling, driving etc and just wanted to go to bed. Looking forward to the ambiance, antique setting of a historic hotel.

Unfortunately for me my room was on the 3rd floor, right next to the elevator, and there were NO windows. There were old stains on the carpet, and everytime someone got in the elevator, I heard the squeaky up and down. I called to say I had no window, it was very small, didn't look real clean, and I felt claustrophobic, It was like I was in someone's closet. "Sorry, there are no other rooms available". I booked and paid for this room 4 months in advance.

The amenities were fair to average. Old television, no flat screen and few channels. No place to really put my suitcase, room was too small unless I wanted to unpack and throw everything in the closet.

If it wasn't so late I would have left to find other accommodations. At about 4AM I was awoken by a very loud beeping sound, that would not stop. I called downstairs and was told "well I didn't hear anything". Gee, maybe because I am 3 floors up. Could you get off your lazy butt and come check it out? After an hour of this noise, I went outside my room, and could hear it in the hallway. Turns out it was an alarm from the adjacent room which was vacant. If he had taken 5 min to check, then this problem could have been easily resolved.

Check out was fine, they were probably happy to see me leave. I would never stay here again. It needs a MAJOR renovation, upgrades, and a good cleaning! I will say that the person at the front desk did comp me part of the room rate (I would have fought the charge anyhow) and she apologized but the experience was terrible.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Donitta21
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first

great restaurant next door
atmosphere and history
comfortable bed

Cons -
LACK OF A/C (really hot and stuffy)
No windows to open
$30 car valet daily

Room Tip: Bring a small fan.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erica P
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Located steps from the French Quarter, casino and Warehouse District. The staff were amazing & fantastic breakfast at the Ruby Slipper located within the Hotel. Joseph was extremely helpful and loved his recommendation of The Chophouse restaurant located just down from the Pelham. During our 3 day stay we had the unusual experience of when we could make our room available so they could install double glazing to our windows which the manager promised would only take an hour, when we arrived back that afternoon the windows had being installed and we could not believe the difference during the night, it was so quiet and peaceful. Our room was beautifully appointed, carpet was dated, new bathrooms, antique furniture. Loved the Pelham. I will def stay again!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mark09ox
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I recently travelled to New Orleans and I needed nice, inexpensive place to stay and Pelham was just it. Great location!Quiet area and the best service ever-thank you Thomas for your excellent service, you should be promoted or get a raise!!Hopefully we will see you in Montreal sometime:)Joseph- you were cool too:)Whenever I will be back in New Orleans I will stay in this hotel again if Thomas is still working there.
To all the people with AC problems-ask how to fix it and the stuff will help you...And if you do not like the room you get(cause some of them do not have windows) ask for another one,if one is available I'm sure the boys will change it for you
The resto was very good as well-I totally recommend it

Room Tip: Some rooms have no windows (so choose wisely) and AC has a movement detector- you can override it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Agababajaga13
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed at The Pelham for a wedding and throughly enjoyed our stay.we stayed in room 201 with a king,beautiful room,new bathroom,high ceilings,friendly informative staff,Hotels restaurant Ruby Slipper serves a fantastic breakfast,but does not open for dinner,we had to wait 30 minutes to get in,highly recommend .Fantastic Location

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends