“What a great experience.”

Olivier House Hotel
Ranked #14 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 24 August 2017

I stayed with my two teenage daughters for five days and had a great time. We had a split level room right by the pool which was beautiful. The girls loved the pool and having our room so close to it was great because at night when it was not so busy, it was almost like having a private pool all to our self's. One of the coolest things that happened was one night we saw one of the staff checking a room and we asked if we could look in the room, since we had been told that all the rooms are different. He let us look at it and then asked if we would like a tour of the building since it was Sunday night and a lot of people had checked out that day. We saw the old stables, the original kitchen with its huge fireplace, the servants quarters, even the old attic storage space, all of which are now guest rooms. Also we had a chance to see the old creole cottage which also makes up part of the hotel. We would have loved to have seen the Petite Masion also, but it was occupied.
The room had everything you would expect of any good hotel, good A/C, great bed and linens, etc. but what made it for us was the beauty and uniqueness of all the rooms and public areas. So different from the chain hotels. I think that most of the buildings that make up the hotel are around 200 years old and you can sometimes see the wear of that many years of hands touching or rubbing on doors , furniture, etc. That kind of character cannot be built.
The staff is first rate and seem so sincere and casually gracious in helping people. My daughters, being teenagers, loved that and actually felt comfortable asking for recommendations about what to see and where to eat.
If you are looking for a true New Orleans experience, I would highly recommend the Olivier House hotel.

Room Tip: One or the staff told me that if you ask at check in time, they will let you look at whatever rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Any time we stay in New Orleans I try to stay somewhere authentic to the area. This place did not disappoint in that aspect! The staff was extremely polite and helpful. We stayed in a two bedroom suite that was very spacious. It did have two bathrooms as advertised, however, there was only one shower but it was still nice to have two sinks and two toilets for the 5 of us. My main reason for the 3 stars is because the room was very musty. Like I already stated, we typically stay in the older buildings so some might feel that this is just part of it. The smell did not bother the others in my family but I do have asthma and it did affect me. That's the only reason that I'm putting this out there so that if you have a breathing issue then this might not be the place for you. If you don't and you want authentic New Orleans feel and to be close to bourbon street without all the noise then this place is great! The courtyard is very small but there is a pool. It needed to be cleaned but there were several people who did use it (we did not and my children had no desire to use it because it was not as clean as they are use to from ours).

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Absolutely loved our stay at Olivier House. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. There is a lot of character in this hotel, very quirky. Great location about half a block from Bourbon Street. $25 for parking was competitive with all the surrounding hotels. We were able to park on the street one of our two days. I loved this hotel and definitely will plan to stay again. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed there for four nights and loved it, the room was great. The AC kept it perfectly cool, even in the summer heat of New Orleans.

Showers were great with good water temperature and pressure. Bedding and pillows were comfortable and we enjoyed the pool, which is in a lovely courtyard with lots of lush greenery.

The main thing that really made our stay was the authentic New Orleans ambiance of the restored building and the helpful staff. If you don't like 180 year old architecture or antiques then you should stay at one if the generic hotels instead. However for people who want something different I would highly recommend the Oliver House Hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Before I booked the room, I read a lot of reviews. After reading review after review espousing what a great place it is, I almost worried I might go there expecting too much and be disappointed! I need not have worried. In all ways, it more than surpassed what I was hoping for.
The whole place has such a cool, old world feel about it. It feels much more like a quaint old European style hotel than the usual "cookie cutter" hotels that plague American cities. I guess the big sterile chain hotels have their place. I don't mean to sound elitist, but maybe not everyone gets the "authentic experience" idea. The review entitled "Birthday Visit" made me realize that the Oliver House is not for everyone. Some people feel more comfortable in a more generic or standard hotel. If as that reviewer said, you wish to order food (in New Orleans?), need a big elevator, a security guard, think the outside halls in an authentically renovated historic property should be air conditioned or think that it is a negative thing that the hotel has a fan (along with an iron, ironing board and hairdryer) in the closet, then the Oliver House is definitely not for you.
As for me, I can't wait to go back.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo