Review Highlights
African Life in the French Quarter walking tour

Perspective matters. Here, you will experience a historical, cultural and political-economic... read more

Reviewed 11 September 2018
Richard F
This tour is a must for true NOLA histroy

Wife & I had the enriching and educational experience of the "African Life in the French Quarter... read more

Reviewed 7 September 2018
wbd8225
Madison, Wisconsin

All reviews eye opening tour african life driving tour personal knowledge deep knowledge jackson square french quarter his passion excellent tour united states highly recommend this tour revolt slaves perspective insight textbook louisiana
Reviewed 24 March 2018

Most people go to New Orleans for jazz and party, which is perfect, I do it too, but there is also full of history in the buildings and streets of Frenchquarter, the center of the city. I have a great time in the two hours walking I did with Leon, I learned, I laughted, I enjoyed the city in a deep manner, understanding what happened there years ago, and understanding more the present. History doesn't need to be boring, it is indeed interesting and challenging. Don't miss it!

1  Thank Bethsabe A
HIdden_HistoryLa, Web manager at Hidden History Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Awesome! Thank you for sharing your visit and experience with us.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Mr. Leon gives a very professional and informative tour, complete with a packet of reading materials that the group reads together during the tour, and that you can take home. We did this tour on our first full day in NOLA, before we explored the French Quarter on our own. I'm so glad we did, because we enjoyed "re-visiting" places we saw on our tour when we were walking around on our own later, and it gave us some perspective and context we would never had otherwise had. Highly recommend!

HIdden_HistoryLa, Web manager at Hidden History Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Thank you for sharing your visit and experience with us.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

My nephew and I joined a Hidden History walking tour this afternoon. It was a perfect spring afternoon for walking around the quarter. Malcolm is an excellent guide: engaging, knowledgeable, patient and kind. I appreciated seeing the early history of New Orleans through an African-American lens and considering the multiple skills and contributions Africans brought to America.

The history of slavery in this country continues to be felt in so many ways, including institutionalized racism and generational economic injustice.

I hope the City of New Orleans will heed the call to raise awareness of our African-American brothers and sisters and the long, hard road for equal justice by erecting more memorials in their honor.

Thanks for a great tour!

1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 15 March 2018

My husband and I visited New Orleans for the first time earlier this month. We did the walking tour of the French Quarter with Leon Waters. He is truly an inspiration and an amazing individual. if you plan on visiting New Orleans, I would tell you to do your part and educate yourself on the real, hard and dark truth of our countries past and present. Leon, we will be back to see you, that is a promise! We have told anyone we know planning a trip to New Orleans that this is a must! I could have spent the entire day with Leon and hope to in the future!

1  Thank Lauren_and_Eric
Reviewed 21 February 2018

This is hands down the best walking tour of the French Quarter - if you are interested in hearing about the real history of New Orleans that includes the oppression of indigenous and enslaved black people, do this tour. It will be a life-changing experience.

1  Thank Ritika G