See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 March 2009

My husband and I have been to New Orleans many times over the years and we love it.
I have always dreamt of having a place there and living with the locals. After staying at stuffy hotels on Canal St. and in the French Quarter, 'La Dauphine' was just the change that we were looking for. The style and decor of the home is wonderful, I loved looking at Rays wonderful paintings and photographs throughout the house. The bed was cozy and we enjoyed the extensive video/DVD collection. While sitting in the adorable courtyard garden we relaxed and truly felt like we were at a home away from home. We even had a warm greeting from the two sweet little dogs that live there (I wanted to take them home to Chicago with me!)every time we came in the door. The neighborhood is charming and the people who live there are so warm and friendly, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The parks, cafes, burger joints, are better than any in the French Quarter and be sure to go to the aquatic gardens a block away and enjoy the fountains and plants. We will be sure to be back soon and it is the perfect place for anyone who wants to feel welcomed and at home.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2008

This bed and breakfast is wonderful for people who like a relaxed atmosphere with a comfortable room and high ceilings. The owners are Ray and Kim; Ray knows practically everything and everyone in New Orleans and was quite familiar with restaurants and other spots throughout the city. His recommendations were always accurate. Ray and Kim went out of their way to make sure we were happy, and even interrupted their own routines to accommodate us when we wanted to use the kitchen for an evening snack. There is also an actual computer that you can use, not just a wi-fi connection. The B&B is only about a four-minute walk from the center of the action on Frenchmen Street which has replaced the French Quarter as the reigning club scene every night of the week. If you plan to go to any of the nearby stores or restaurants, Ray can tell you the names of the owners and even about their personal lives, so you feel like a local instead of a tourist.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StevenJonKaplan
Reviewed 25 April 2008

What makes this B&B exceptional isn't that it's extremely luxurious, because it's not. It's a atmospheric, traditional New Orleans house with beautifully decorated (though a little bit crowded) rooms, a back garden ideal for al fresco breakfasting in a very nice and quiet neighborhood.

What makes it truly lovely though is the hosts. Ray and Kim went above and beyond in their efforts to make me feel at home. I was travelling on my own, meeting friends in NO, and the hospitality made me feel very comfortable, safe and relaxed. I would definitely stay at La Dauphine again - in fact I can't think of a reason to stay anywhere else in New Orleans!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 December 2007

We stayed here in December, and again, it is just so comfortable.

I noticed that in my last review I stated that the rooms had very "NO decor "-- and then in rereading it, realized that not everyone will understand that "NO" means New Orleans, and not "none".
The rooms are large, comfortable and each one has a different New Orleans theme.

Another update: there was a small shower in one of the bathrooms that has now been replaced with a fabulous European style shower.

Ray and Kim will give you excellent dining recommendations - and will steer you away from some that you may have read are wonderful -- but in actuality are not. One of our best meals on this trip was in a little upstairs restaurant on Frenchman Street. Had we not been sent there, no way would we have even considered opening the door.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank patiD
Reviewed 30 November 2007

Ray and Kim run a very comfortable and homey B&B. We felt as though we were visting close relatives, with the freedom of accessing the guest' fridge in the middle of the night. The rooms are large and comfy with very NO decor. W/D available.
It is such a relief, after staying in hotels, to have no fear of leaving your door unlocked all day (or night) with your valuables spread around the room, knowing everything will be safe.
Although there is no hot breakfast, the quality and quantity of the fruit, pastry, cereals etc. provided is excellent.
Ray and Kim are wonderful at providing information and guidance to restaurants and other fun events.
The B&B is a short easy walk through the park to Frenchman Street with a number of excellent restaurants and music/drinking establishments.
We look forward to many more visits as we fly in and out of NOLA on our way to visit family in La.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple