“Yummy Sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Description: Ninja Sushi is a Japanese restaurant and sushi bar located in Uptown New Orleans on beautiful Oak Street by the Mississippi River. Our award-winning restaurant as been serving New Orleans some of the freshest sushi since 1993. Ninja Sushi is a family-friendly restaurant traditional Japanese food, some non-traditional po boy sandwiches from NOLA, amazing sushi and sashimi, a large selection of lunch and dinner items, a wide variety of vegetarian menu options, and we offer special kid's meals. We look forward to serving you our delicious fare from our local Japanese restaurant.
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Very pleasant and authentic Japanese restaurant. The food was fresh and delicious. Nice hospitality.

Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

You have probably walked past it a 100 times on oak without noticing it but you should! Slightly tucked away in a building this restaurant prides its self for good customer service and amazingly fresh sushi. They live up to both while also having some more exotic fish you won't find other places. I know there are so many great places in that area but trust me when I tell you ninja is a must!

Reviewed 23 August 2016

Went on a recommendation of a friend. The sushi was good. We really enjoyed the speciality rolls. The service was odd though, the server was very offensive and made very rude comments about children that I work with. It made the whole experience VERY uncomfortable.

Reviewed 19 July 2016

My husband and I were in New Orleans for a conference at the beginning of June and were having a difficult time finding gluten free food. We stumbled upon the Ninja Sushi website which indicated they had gluten free offerings and, since we cannot easily get gluten free sushi in our home state, decided to venture away from the French Quarter to give it a try. We are SO glad we did!

Upon the taxi dropping us off at the restaurant, we were a bit confused because the building looks more like a house with a sign on the front than a restaurant and to get to the dining area you have to go in the front door and up the stairs. However, once you enter the seating area, the setting is sleek and relaxing.

The staff at Ninja Sushi went through the entire menu with me, letting me know which items were gluten free or could be made gluten free with recommended substitutions. It is incredibly difficult for me to find gluten free sushi so I was elated to find a place that understood the allergy and what I needed. We ordered a plate full of rolls and all were excellent.

We had a great time speaking with the staff about their food, sharing tips on how to make perfect sushi rice and what ingredients we might be able to find back home in order to make our own gluten free sushi. In addition, my husband had a good conversation regarding saki and got to try some of the available options before ordering a bottle. When it came time for dessert, my husband ordered the Tempura Banana Foster, which I had just intended to skip since it was not gluten free. When they came to bring it out, the server told us that he had stopped the chef mid making the dessert and asked him to adjust it to be gluten free. It was such a pleasant and thoughtful surprise and a delicious end to the meal.

We enjoyed this restaurant so much that we went back a second time during our stay and ate there again the night before we left New Orleans. The staff recognized us immediately and the chef sent over two free shots of saki to wish us safe travels back home. We will definitely be back on our next trip to New Orleans and, if you are searching for sushi and/or gluten free options in New Orleans, I highly recommend Ninja Sushi. It's well worth the trolley ride, even if you are staying in/near the French Quarter.

2  Thank JhFithian
Reviewed 25 July 2015

In 1995, a friend of mine introduced me to sushi (I was reluctant...) at Ninja Sushi. It was phenomenal - fresh, creative - and THAT Ninja Sushi set the Gold Standard henceforth. Every time I visit NOLA, I make it a point to visit Ninja! The last time I went (2011), it was as good as ever - including amazing Okra Tempura! So I was in NOLA for business last week and bragged to a friend about Ninja. We grabbed an Uber and headed there. I expected Ninja to be crowded - as it always used to be - but it was dead. 6 PM on a Monday...and there was only ONE table occupied - and NOBODY at the Sushi bar?! That SHOULD HAVE BEEN a warning - but we proceeded. I asked about the okra tempura...our server said...no, we don'd do that anymore...WHAT?! She replied, "Well, there are new owners. It is even better now!!" Yeah, right. We had an order of tempura - it was good, but very average. Don;t get me wrong - the tempura would be acceptable anywhere - it just was not in any way "special", which is what set Ninja apart from the crowd. I had the Green Wave Roll. It was good, but again, not special. I should have read the reviews - but it never occurred to me to do so, as I have been going there for years - I thought, no way could it ever be "ordinary"!!! Yet that is just what several locals have said - and I completely echo that. Again - it is NOT bad. It is just ordinary - absolutely nothing you could not find anywhere else. Too bad!! I won't be going back next time I'm in NOLA. What a shame that such a GREAT restaurant has declined to AVERAGE.

2  Thank RyanColSolare