“Great Neighborhood Bar”

Ranked #94 of 2,082 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: Fairgrounds
Description: Local flavor at it's best near the Fairgrounds! BBQ Shrimp poboys, Gumbo,Bloody Marys etc.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Very small place and we had to wait outside during lunch time hours until a large table for four was available. Our waitress seemed a little stressed but warmed up a bit later. My seafood gumbo was tasty but I have had better. The Abita Mardi Gras helped wash it all down. My wife's bbq shrimp poboy was off the charts fantastic! I saw other tables chowing down on large portions of fries and I would try them next time.

1  Thank Jim D

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We ordered a bbq shrimp po' boy to split between two people. It was not bbq at all, just a lemon pepper sauce over boiled shrimp. It wasn't anything out of this world. The third person with us ordered the fried shrimp po' boy. That was also disappointingly boring. Both items seemed to be overpriced for the portion size: bbq shrimp ~16 and fried ~13. Neither came with sides.

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

This was our 1st stop and one if our last stops of the trip. Started with half shrimp poboy n gumbo each, it's the perfect meal! Short wait at 2pm on Saturday. Back on Tuesday with sis n brother in law. Started with peel n eat head on bbq shrimp, yummy buttery garlic n lemony sauce. On to gumbo n crawfish etouffe n lots of French bread. Omg...soooo good. On to a shrimp poboy-perfection. Roast beef poboy, very tasty but I prefer more messy with some gravy. Fried shrimp plate was over plentiful and fried are fresh cut n yummy. Fried soft shell crab was also a hit. Bro n sis in law agreed, best meal of the trip and perfect way to end the trip! Fabulous server, young n blonde n friendly with Texas cousins. I even got a tshirt!

1  Thank BeachbumAggie
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I almost hate to review this little gem...then other tourists will find it.

Liuzza's by the Track was everything I was looking for...GREAT food, local atmosphere, cheap beer, friendly people.

Reviewed 2 March 2018

We were staying in Esplanade Avenue and visited Luizza's twice for dinner during our ten days in New Orleans and had a really good meal on both occasions.

The gumbo and BBQ'd shrimp ( big prawns to us English folk ! ) were great and the catfish po'boy was excellent ! Never had catfish before, thanks so much to our server for the recommendation.

Wished we had gone there on our last night instead of to Santa Fe.

Also a much better, and considerably cheaper, experience all round than at Lola's which is also in the same neighbourhood .

Thoroughly recommended for a great and unpretentious meal.