“Take Out dinner”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Our take out was very good.
Baked fish, shrimp and fish platter with mac and cheese was good.

I use to work at the military base directly in front of that restaurant. The base has been closed for years and it looks horrible. SUCH A SAD SIGHT.

BUT, JACK DEMPSEY STILL HAS VERY GOOD FOOD.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

My uncle introduced me to Jack Dempsey's and I feel like he let me in on a local secret. I don't recommend you going if you don't like fried seafood. They do have broiled options that are fantastic but their fried platters shine. Love the soft shell crab, and shrimp. But my all time favorite is the ooey gooey cheesey Crabmeat auGratin. Spread it on the French bead and you are in heaven. New Orleans is not for diets! Haven't tried steaks or desserts. Maybe next time.

2  Thank diversamno
Reviewed 31 March 2018

My husband I patiently waited until Wednesday during a recent trip so we could eat lunch here (check the hours as they are somewhat limited). The atmosphere is super old school but very clean and comfortable. It reminded me of places I ate as a kid and our waitress was so friendly and welcoming. We started with the chargrilled oysters which were OUTSTANDING! I think these are now the best I've ever had even winning out over my old fave ACME. My husband had a shrimp poboy and I had the frog legs - we both had mac and cheese for our sides. Everything was absolutely delicious and I can not wait to go back to try the onion rings and fish.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We love it here. We come everytime we come to NOLA. The food is excellent and huge portions at reasonable prices. Very low key, plain, simple restaurant. Off the beaten path a bit, but so worth it. Has always been super busy and you may have to wait, but again, so worth it. I think we have tried just about everything on the menu, and its all so good, can not pick a favorite.

1  Thank SooJBee
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Okay a neighborhood fry house. We get it. Half the seafood platter was cold half hot. Obviously the catfish & shrimp were waiting for the oysters to come out of the basket.

Waitress smelled like a pack of Picayune cigarettes. She & her co workers were 'hollering' across the dinging room about beers, etc. Table service.

So they add a gratuity which is printed on the menu. However anyone with a calculator can decipher that they add the gratuity NOT just on the subtotal but on the TAX as well. When pointed out this larceny the waitress: "...well they do that in the kitchen." " So undo it. We did not eat nor drink the tax." How many others have been clipped in same manner....?

2  Thank urtioross

Been to Jack Dempsey's Restaurant? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK